Haiku: write one

G

goinghome

- "Haiku grew from an early writing game in which the first three lines of a poem were written by one person. A second person wrote the closing two lines. The great Japanese writer, Basho (1644-94) grew tired of this game. He felt that the first three lines could stand alone. In that way, haiku was born.

There are no rhyming words in haiku, and each 3-line verse has only 17 syllables or less! The three lines are often arranged so that the first line has five (5) syllables, the second line has seven (7) syllables, and the third line has five (5) syllables. This is called the 5-7-5 rule. Haiku does not always follow the 5-7-5 rule. But to be haiku, the verse must express a thought, feeling or mood. The verse cannot be composed of more than 17 syllables; it cannot have more than 3 lines; and it cannot rhyme.

As you read each verse below, put yourself in the poet's place - try to share what he or she is feeling. Then share the poem with someone else. You may find that others receive a different image or feel a different mood than you do, all while reading the same words. That is one reason a haiku verse is often accompanied by an illustration.

Here is an example of haiku written by the great Japanese writer Basho. Ask yourself, what season is it?

This snowy morning
That black crow I hate so much ....
But he's beautiful!
—Basho " -

Here's one of mine -

The arboretum
In winter hibernation:
Only the tags flowerlike.

Anyone else?

I'm afraid English isn't suitable for haiku because English isn't monosyllabic language.

Robby's attempt isn't haiku, but a form of senryu which has less rules than haiku.

Haiku must have a seasonal word, but senryu doesn't have to have one.

Last edited:
I'm afraid English isn't suitable for haiku because English isn't monosyllabic language.

Robby's attempt isn't haiku, but a form of senryu which has less rules than haiku.

Why do you say that?
Can you prove the claim you make?
I think it's not true.

:D

Perhaps it was true in the past but now the form has been embraced by the world - http://www.haiku-hia.com/index_en.html

It has even mutated into a science fiction favourite - http://www.scifaiku.com/

So, it appears, anything goes :)

I was gonna say that too, but I just thought I'd let it pass :cool:

ps: Japanese is likely better than English in many ways, I vow someday to learn it :blushing:

A song floats constant
in my mind softly thumping
words: pump up the jam

To convey ones feelings in seventeen syllables
Is very diffic

The sun warms me up
Here I lay basking again
Grass caressing me

Why do you say that?
Can you prove the claim you make?
I think it's not true.

:D

I missed your clever offering in the debate earlier, I am a Ghost: maith thú!

A weeping willow
Summer flame that never fades
Love of two is one

:eek: where did that come from?

The sun warms me up
Here I lay basking again
Grass caressing me

These two are wonderful, very evocative of a seasonal warmth sorely lacking on this side of the world at the moment. Thanks for getting us back on track.

Wrens in the fuchsia:
Their indeterminate jerks,
Jazzing up the hedge. :p

Back
Top Bottom