Question about Morrissey 'Swords' scarf

PUNKturedBIKE

Lovely Riah
Does anyone think that this scarf should be considered a football scarf when entering a pub that doesn't allow football colours to be worn inside?

I was at the Birmingham gig and the colours were claret and blue (Villa, West Ham, Burnley, Scunthorpe colours).

If you were to walk around north London, Blackburn, Small Heath (Birmingham) or wherever Scunny's rivals are (Grimsby?), whilst wearing a claret and blue scarf, your average hooligan is not going to ask you if that is a Morrissey scarf before they kick your head in.

I believe at the Liverpool gig, the scarf was black and grey - close to Newcastle colours and therefore unwisely worn in Wearside.

Any pub bouncers in Manchester would ask you to conceal the scarf, as they do with football pin badges. Prevention is better than the cure.

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Huh? It's not a football team scarf, it's not a football scarf, it's a Morrissey scarf. Football fans have asked me which team it is and they seem satisfied when i say it's not a football scarf. To me it's claret and blue not the claret and blue and red is a football colour, does that mean i can't wear that in there?

Even though not a football scarf, I could not bring myself to buy the claret and blue one as it's representative of the colours of Burnley(spits).

I only wish I'd known at Liverpool that there was a black and grey one

Huh? It's not a football team scarf, it's not a football scarf, it's a Morrissey scarf. Football fans have asked me which team it is and they seem satisfied when i say it's not a football scarf. To me it's claret and blue not the claret and blue and red is a football colour, does that mean i can't wear that in there?

I'm not disagreeing with you.
But picture the scene. You are a pub bouncer looking for a quiet Saturday night on a day when the local football team have lost. Someone walks in wearing the scarf in the colours of a rival team. You ask about it and are informed it is not a football scarf but a Morrissey scarf and allow that person to go inside wearing it.
Within minutes bottles are being thrown and a fight develops as pissed up lads take umbridge to the scarf in the colours of a rival team being openly displayed in what is seen as a provacative stance. You have to go in there and sort all the kicking off out.

Or do you simply wind back the clock and ask the person wearing the scarf that under no circumstances are they to wear it in the pub.

As the bouncer, what would you do?:confused:

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
I was at the Birmingham gig and the colours were claret and blue (Villa, West Ham, Burnley, Scunthorpe colours).

If you were to walk around north London, Blackburn, Small Heath (Birmingham) or wherever Scunny's rivals are (Grimsby?), whilst wearing a claret and blue scarf, your average hooligan is not going to ask you if that is a Morrissey scarf before they kick your head in.

I believe at the Liverpool gig, the scarf was black and grey - close to Newcastle colours and therefore unwisely worn in Wearside.

Any pub bouncers in Manchester would ask you to conceal the scarf, as they do with football pin badges. Prevention is better than the cure.

Jukebox Jury

Good points, but i do take it off inside, this pub isn't a football pub and the guy who runs it doesn't like football is the reasoning, i was wrapping it round my neck to leave when he mentioned it. Although i did get a filthy look from an Arsenal fan on the Piccadilly line, there isn't any one distinct football following in my little town.

As the bouncer, what would you do?:confused:

Jukebox Jury

If i was the bouncer i'd give me the heads up on what's going on in the pub. If he said it's full of bloody thirsty rivals that are drinking away the pain of a loss at home, i'd be sure to take it off before entering lol
Like you say, if i was in certain parts of the world that hate claret and blue it wouldn't be a good idea to wear it but i think i'll take my chances where i live, plus no other non football pub has given a toss.

Even though not a football scarf, I could not bring myself to buy the claret and blue one as it's representative of the colours of Burnley(spits).

I only wish I'd known at Liverpool that there was a black and grey one

I couldn't believe the scarf on sale in Brum was claret and blue. How any other businesses would deliberately alienate two thirds of its potential customers (in this case Birmingham and WBA fans).
Why not choose neutral colours all round - which (whilst thinking about it) is pretty hard to do in terms of football colours:lbf:

Jukebox Jury

I think the reason why the scarf is claret and blue is to do with Morrissey's West Ham infatuation.

Thats what I thought when I saw it, apart from oh a decent bit of merchandise that, I'll have that. (at the RAH.) I was talknig to some bloke who was a Chelsea fan who was purchasing one after the gig and he said he wouldn't be wearing it down the Shed ie cos of the colours (do they still have the Shed?)

When they had the FA Cup Final in Cardiff in 2006 (Liverpool v West Ham) they split the pubs so one end of the city centre was West Ham and the other Liverpool (they did this for all club football matches when the Millenium Stadium was hosting football finals etc)

I was quite bemused when they wouldn't allow me in a pub in my hometown cos I had the wrong colours on... but not as bemused as the bloke who plays billy mitchell after the game!

What, not even if I had a bunch of Gladioli sticking out my back pocket?
Which, of course, I always do.

So I'm staying in a hotel and there's a number of different conventions going on. One of them happens to be a fencing match, so there's young men and girls carrying around these special foil suitcases. So I got in the elevator and to make smalltalk said to one of the girls, "Is that suitcase full of Epee's?" to which she looked at me in amazment and said :eek: "How do you know that? Most people call them Swords!" to which I replied, "I do crossword puzzles." :p

Not from there, but a Rovers fan nonetheless. Think I may have spoken to you in the queue at Ally Pally.

Yeah I remember now, great meeting somebody in the que who supported rovers, you enjoy the ally pally gig, it was your first moz gig right(or was that another person)??

Yeah I remember now, great meeting somebody in the que who supported rovers, you enjoy the ally pally gig, it was your first moz gig right(or was that another person)??

Yeah that was me (swindon excluded), was amazing cheers! :D

I wonder if the different coloured scarves will go online at all? Would be great to have hanging over my door...

I thought about this thread yesterday.
I went to Hebden Bridge in the afternoon to watch the City game in a pub with my mate who lives there.
I arrived around 4.30pm and there were a few Burnley fans in there (Burnley isn't that far away, despite being in West Yorks:thumb:) watching the game against some team or other.
There were a few eyes looking my way as the City Wembley 69 replica shirt (red and black stripes) was revealed when taking my coat off.
I thought.... ''a claret and blue Morrissey scarf would see me right, in here now'':D

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom