that joke isn't funny anymore

D

depressed

'That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore' has to be the best depression song EVER. It's so TRUE. When I'm catastrophically depressed (which is fairly often) this is the only song I want to hear. I could listen to it all day. I swear it contains the story of my LIFE. (I like it even more than 'there is a light').

> 'That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore' has to be the best depression¿ song EVER. It's so TRUE. When I'm catastrophically depressed¿ (which is fairly often) this is the only song I want to hear. I¿ could listen to it all day. I swear it contains the story of my¿ LIFE. (I like it even more than 'there is a light').

When I'm feeling down, that line in the song, "I wish I could laugh...." always hits home for me. It seems that when I'm in the doldrums I feel like I can't even laugh......that it's not possible. Just remember, "I just might die with a smile on my face after all." When I'm depressed, it's either "Back to the Old House" or "Seasick,Yet Still Docked."

> When I'm feeling down, that line in the song, "I wish I¿ could laugh...." always hits home for me. It seems that¿ when I'm in the doldrums I feel like I can't even¿ laugh......that it's not possible. Just remember, "I just¿ might die with a smile on my face after all." When I'm¿ depressed, it's either "Back to the Old House" or¿ "Seasick,Yet Still Docked."

I feel the same way. I always listen to "Seasick, Yet Still Docked" and "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore." Also, "Asleep."

i know it`s over

all songs listed truly are spine-chilling when depression comes to town.
but for me the saddest song is "i know its over" because i first heard it when such a situation described in the lyrics occurred in my life.
i preffer it to the others because its spreads an engrasping theory about the protagonist`s life: the girl whom he fell in love with, is now with someone (someone he knows, like it was in my history), this inability of preventing the situation, or the self-destructive choosing the wrong one to fall inlove with, those two "qualities" are something that will accompany him for all his life, and he probably inherited them from his mother, or absorbed them from the way she brought him up.
therefore, the sad thing is not the momentary loss, but the understanding that "tonight is just like any other night", and that will never change.
the recent tragedy just makes our stephen understand that.
(i truly believe he wrote the song as a result of a personal incident)
thats all.

Re: I KNOW IT's OVER & WELL I WONDER

I can totally identify w/what u said. I agree that's a good song, but also I love Well I Wonder & Last Night On Maudlin Street!

Re: i know it`s over tomorrow, if not sooner

¿ (i truly believe he wrote the song as a result of a personal¿ incident)¿ thats all.

I know he is a great lyricist, but I agree that the inspiration, that brought so much emotion into that song, has to be an incident of his own life.

Tomorrow is another one of those desperation songs.

Re: the far side of the earth

Noam, well said.
"Asleep" is truly a masterpiece as well.
"Used to be a sweet boy" is heart-breaking.

knee to where

> "Used to be a sweet boy" is heart-breaking.
i`ve been pondering a lot about why am i reluctant to be so enthusiastic about vauxhall and i as others are.it is truly an excellent record, melodically and lyrically, but songs like "used to be a sweet boy"
"hated for loving" and "girl drowning, lifeguard sleeping"(or is it the other way around?:) make me feel so sad, but in a different way.
dont you have those times when you are willing to be swept over into sadness by a song, and it squashes your heart, making you FEEL yourself - and there are those songs, that are just completely sad, completely depressing, and there is no catharsis in the end, just regret and pain. such song for me is "used to be a sweet boy". very much like "back to the old house".

and are those unsettling pangs of regret and pain, attributes we will carry through to the end of our lives, no matter what personal circumstance may decide to throw at them, in a useless effort to destroy them?

a small enclosed space

Back
Top Bottom