Do you agree or disagree with Morrissey?

C

Cosmic Dancer

Morrissey has revealed that he has contemplated suicide before, and that he considers the act "honourable"

Another part of the show involved the singer choosing a 'luxury item' to take onto a desert island. Morrissey initially made two choices, saying: "I would either take a bed, because I like to go to bed. Or, I would take a bag of sleeping pills, because I might want to make a quick exit."

Young then told him he had to choose between the two, to which he replied:

"I would really take the bed I think, because going to bed is the highlight of everybody's day. I like to be hidden, and I like to sink, and I think we all love to go to bed and we love to go to sleep. It's the brother of death, it means we can just switch out brains off when we go to bed and forget about ourselves hopefully."

Like every Desert Island Discs guest, Morrissey choose a number of his favourite songs, and nominated his favourite work of literature ('The Complete Oscar Wilde').

Morrissey choose the following songs:

New York Dolls — '(There’s Gonna Be A) Showdown'
Marianne Faithfull — 'Come And Stay With Me'
Ramones — 'Loudmouth'
The Velvet Underground — 'The Black Angel’s Death Song'
Klaus Nomi — 'Der Nussbaum – The Walnut Tree'
Nico — 'I’m Not Saying'
Iggy & The Stooges — 'Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell'
Mott The Hoople — 'Sea Diver'

Of the songs above, he nominated '(There’s Gonna Be A) Showdown' as his favourite.

http://www.nme.com/news/morrissey/48618

Agree or disagree with Morrissey about what? I agree with his choice of Oscar Wilde but I don't agree with him picking the New York Dolls song. Well, it's the right answer for him but my answer would be different.

Agree or disagree with Morrissey about what? I agree with his choice of Oscar Wilde but I don't agree with him picking the New York Dolls song. Well, it's the right answer for him but my answer would be different.

About the bag of sleeping pills and a bed

look, as long as one doesn't end up with the head in the toilet and vomit all over the place, that sounds fine enough.

On suicide... I don't believe suicide (in itself) is morally wrong or a sin like the church does. No one really knows what happens in the afterlife, but my best guess is that it simply ends the life early. The future is ended by a long, long sleep.

However... most everyone has loved ones who would be devastated by a premature death. Suicide has a grave impact on those left behind, and that should be considered. It seems morally wrong for Kurt Cobain to have left his daughter alone 1) without a father and 2) in the misguided hands of Courtney Love.

If the person is dying and/or in severe pain with no end, then suicide / euthanasia becomes less problematic in that respect. Loved ones left behind would be upset, but they should hopefully understand it's for the best.

I think suicide of young, otherwise healthy people is often a mistake, because they have drugs for depression, and overwhelming problems can often go away over time. And as far as I know, you only get one life, so make the most of it. But if death is simply a sleep, the person killing themselves arguably won't notice the difference either way.

The Complete Works of Wilde isn't a work of literature, but a collection of works. It's the equivalent of saying that one's favourite record is every Morrissey album.

I disagree with that.

My favourite record is the Complete Works Of Morrissey and The Smiths.
:D

You're a loudmouth baby
You better shut it up
I'm gonna beat you up
'Cause you're a loudmouth

Morrissey has revealed that he has contemplated suicide before, and that he considers the act "honourable"

Another part of the show involved the singer choosing a 'luxury item' to take onto a desert island. Morrissey initially made two choices, saying: "I would either take a bed, because I like to go to bed. Or, I would take a bag of sleeping pills, because I might want to make a quick exit."

Young then told him he had to choose between the two, to which he replied:

"I would really take the bed I think, because going to bed is the highlight of everybody's day. I like to be hidden, and I like to sink, and I think we all love to go to bed and we love to go to sleep. It's the brother of death, it means we can just switch out brains off when we go to bed and forget about ourselves hopefully."

Like every Desert Island Discs guest, Morrissey choose a number of his favourite songs, and nominated his favourite work of literature ('The Complete Oscar Wilde').

Morrissey choose the following songs:

New York Dolls — '(There’s Gonna Be A) Showdown'
Marianne Faithfull — 'Come And Stay With Me'
Ramones — 'Loudmouth'
The Velvet Underground — 'The Black Angel’s Death Song'
Klaus Nomi — 'Der Nussbaum – The Walnut Tree'
Nico — 'I’m Not Saying'
Iggy & The Stooges — 'Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell'
Mott The Hoople — 'Sea Diver'

Of the songs above, he nominated '(There’s Gonna Be A) Showdown' as his favourite.

http://www.nme.com/news/morrissey/48618

Who needs sleeping pills...:guitar:

look, as long as one doesn't end up with the head in the toilet and vomit all over the place, that sounds fine enough.

actually, I'd prefer this. Sounds like it would have been a fun night!

Last edited by a moderator:
Suicide ? You might miss something but probably not much.

disagee? i very much agree with his statement.
i contemplated suiside a lot when i was younger, because i was very depressed and did not care who i'd leave behind, mainly because i wouldn't leave many. certainly not anyone i loved. I think it's not encouraging for people to hear this, I do think it's comforting however, since you know you're not alone and one of your heroes/idols makes it open to talk about. He's somewhat of a spokesman for people who contemplate it but feel like it's a taboo to discus their feelings on this subject.

Or better said, he may have opened some doors for people to feel less embarresed to actually bring this up.

Also, whoever wants to really take their life won't be more or less pushed to do so because someone like Morrissey says it's understandable, they'll do it anyway.

I don't agree with suiside though, which may sound strange compaired to what I said above, but many times there is a way to overcome depression or at least cope with it in a better way. The discussion around it should be more open.

Ridicule me now, or not, that's what i think. :)

I agree with Morrissey, I suppose. I've spent a lot of time in my life contemplating suicide. Truth is, I don't have the guts and I couldn't possibly do something like that to my Mother. She wouldn't live through it.

I can't imagine what I'd miss as there really isn't much to live for, but then perhaps I haven't given myself enough of a chance.

I love what he said about sleep, though. That's sooooo true!

I agree with Morrissey, I suppose. I've spent a lot of time in my life contemplating suicide. Truth is, I don't have the guts and I couldn't possibly do something like that to my Mother. She wouldn't live through it.

I can't imagine what I'd miss as there really isn't much to live for,

You would miss the next Morrissey record.
Theres a reason to live for ya!:guitar:

Tags
suicide
Back
Top Bottom