Would Morrissey accept a new years honour?

speedfreaks ball

psychobilly member
i know many stars have rocked and rebeled against the establishment in their
younger years and always said they would snub a new year honour but as they get older always seem too ready to join the rest a buckingham palace, am just wondering what morrissey would do if named in the new years honours list?

There is a long process to being awarded such honours (unless you win 2 gold medals at the Olympics:rolleyes:) and you have to be nominated by a certain number of people.
I just can't imagine a specific number of people wanting to put Morrissey forward for such an award, knowing his feelings towards the establishment.

EDIT
WAIT......:eek: OK, so we failed in ''getting him to number one....'', why don't WE nominate him for a Knighthood:laughing:

Jukebox Jury

NO, thank goodness.

Alan Bennett refused one in 1996:thumb:

he also turned down an honorary degree from the University of Oxford in 1999
because they honoured that c*** Rupert Murdoch. Bravo Mr Bennett.

Some wonderful people have also turned them down, David Bowie, Albert Finney, Roald Dahl, Philip Larkin, Alastair Sim, Trevor Howard and Salford painter LS Lowry.

Last edited:
i know many stars have rocked and rebeled against the establishment in their
younger years and always said they would snub a new year honour but as they get older always seem too ready to join the rest a buckingham palace, am just wondering what morrissey would do if named in the new years honours list?

Well, it's all merely hypothetical, given that it seems unlikely he would ever be offered one. Anyways, IBEH and recent stage comments show his feelings haven't gotten less anti-establishment or anti-monarchy.

Secretly I'm sure he'd love being offered one, and love being able to reject the Queen's advances.

NO, thank goodness.

Some wonderful people have also turned them down, David Bowie, Albert Finney, Roald Dahl, Philip Larkin, Alastair Sim, Trevor Howard and Salford painter LS Lowry.

Lowry holds the record for number of honours turned down - 6 in total! One would have thought that after, say 2, they would have stopped bothering him!
A good mate of mine received a letter about 3 years ago, saying he was down to receive an OBE (or MBE) and he had until such and such a date to confirm he would / wouldn't accept it and either way he was sworn to secrecy until Dec 31st. He declined and still has the letter framed on his wall:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Lowry holds the record for number of honours turned down - SIX in total! One would have thought that after, say 5, they would have stopped bothering him!
A good mate of mine received a letter about 3 years ago, saying he was down to receive an OBE (or MBE) and he had until such and such a date to confirm he would / wouldn't accept it and either way he was sworn to secrecy until Dec 31st. He declined and still has the letter framed on his wall:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

A mate of mine (ex-marine who does a lot for charidee) has been offered an OBE twice and turned them down. Top one :guitar: I'd like to think I'd do the same...

Dave

Last edited:
A mate of mine (ex-marine who does a lot for charidee) has been offered an OBE twice and turned them down. Top one :guitar: I'd like to think I'd do the same...

Dave

Dave, can you edit my quote in your post..... that 22 should be 6!:lbf: Dont know where I got 22 from....still hungover I guess:thumb:

Jukebox Jury

Lowry holds the record for number of honours turned down - 6 in total! One would have thought that after, say 5, they would have stopped bothering him!

Jukebox Jury

I admire people who reject the monarchy and turn their backs on politicians.

what did your mate do to get the offer of an honour?

Last edited:
NO, thank goodness.

I did not know that about Alastair Sim. Merely serves to deepen my respect and love for this man
200px-Alastair_SimB&W.jpg

Jukebox Jury
Frank Sidebottom? For services to the papier mache industry :guitar:

If Morrissey ever accepts anything from that lot I guarantee I will eat my own bodyweight in foosty turds. And post it on YouTube. :)

what did you mate do to politician the offer?

Frank Sidebottom?

Ha ha
No, he does a lot of work with the football supporters federation - when England play abroad, he visits the country in advance, meet embassy staff / consulates and local police to make arrangements so that when the hoardes arrive, hopefully there will be no trouble and that fans have all the details about where to go / not to go etc etc and they have a set up on the match day so if you are in trouble you can get advice etc etc
He works alongside with the home office a lot as they fund the position

Jukebox Jury

OK, so we failed in ''getting him to number one....'', why don't WE nominate him for a Knighthood:laughing:

Whatever happened to getting Morrissey a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame?

If memory serves, there was a petition on this site to do just that. I suppose it didn't really go anywhere...

For your interest

Whatever happened to getting Morrissey a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame?

If memory serves, there was a petition on this site to do just that. I suppose it didn't really go anywhere...

A user who suggested stopped coming here.

Also someone pointed out that it costs a fortune to get a nomination.

We have to be very patient that one day Manchester City Council will decided to name a street of his name. ;)

Re: For your interest

We have to be very patient that one day Manchester City Council will decided to name a street of his name. ;)

Hopefully we will have to wait a very long time for that - I think you have to be dead to be given that honour:eek:

Jukebox Jury

Re: For your interest

Surely you would need to petition Trafford Council... He was born in Urmston and lived in Stretford and then Hale - so he's a Trafford Lad.

I did try to persuade Trafford College to 'do something' for him... they were unaware he was an ex-student... for some reason they weren't keen - Belligerent Ghouls

Dave

Of course he'd take the honour. He'd absolutely love it.

Peter

:confused:

lainey already mentioned that Alan Benett, Albert Finny, LS Lowery etc turned it down, Morrissey will be happy to follow them rather than accepting it.

Surely you would need to petition Trafford Council... He was born in Urmston and lived in Stretford and then Hale - so he's a Trafford Lad.

I did try to persuade Trafford College to 'do something' for him... they were unaware he was an ex-student... for some reason they weren't keen - Belligerent Ghouls

Dave

Morrissey's still saying that school didn't do him good, naturally Trafford College didn't bother.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom