The Mighty Boosh

Oh, YES! We went to England to see them live, actually. I've been watching them since the 2nd series. I'm disgusted with how Adult Swim has edited the shows. They cut out the funniest parts! Americans are going to get a false idea of who they are because of Adult Swim.

My daughter was The Hitcher for Halloween two years ago. She had to explain herself at each house because Americans didn't yet know who The Mighty Boosh were.

CIMG7866b-1.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, YES! We went to England to see them live, actually. I've been watching them since the 2nd series. I'm disgusted with how Adult Swim has edited the shows. They cut out the funniest parts! Americans are going to get a false idea of who they are because of Adult Swim.

Agreed, I strongly recommend not watching Boosh on Adult Swim in the US. They cut out the best parts. They cut out "the wet jigsaw puzzle," "fleshy maraca," and shortened the song "Love Games" by half. Don't cut out anything said by the Hitcher, Naboo or Tony Harrison! If you cut anything, cut Rich Fulcher or Matt Berry.

As outsiders, we thought it was funny how you go to see something kind of edgy live like the Boosh or Jimmy Carr, and you're seeing them in an old historic theater, and they stick to the tradition (I assume) of two acts with an intermission and little ice cream cups sold in the middle, right near the stage in the theater. As an American I associate those ice cream cups with elementary school. We don't do intermissions here in the states. Also, Boosh live is very much like old-fashioned vaudeville from the 1930s (a series of skits, some musical numbers, some stand up comedy, I guess to allow set and costume changes since there are only four or five of them), which is all but forgotten in the US.

The Boosh was really good at first, completely different, but it's not nearly as funny anymore! I think they got a bit lazy and believed their own hype...it kind of became a bit smug in the third series. Having said that, I've met Noel Fielding a few times, and he's a very nice man, so I don't want to be mean.

The Boosh was really good at first, completely different, but it's not nearly as funny anymore! I think they got a bit lazy and believed their own hype...it kind of became a bit smug in the third series. Having said that, I've met Noel Fielding a few times, and he's a very nice man, so I don't want to be mean.

Oh, I personally think the third series is funnier than the first. The second is definitely classic, hard to top.

Maybe part of it is that the first two series include the best songs and skits they had previously created on their radio show (albeit greatly improved), and the third seems to be mostly new material. Like when so many bands make two great records based on songs they wrote before they were signed, then the third requires them to write new songs. And during the third series they were presumably more heavily involved in touring live and in Julian's new baby and Noel with drugs and the other lures of fame and celebrity than before. I recall hearing that by the third series Noel no longer had the time to make all the props himself and had to direct others to help make them.

Still, when you look at Noel's, Julian's and Rich's stand-up comedy, followed by the radio show, and the three series of Boosh, it still seems like they're on the upswing. It just seems like their hiatuses get longer and longer, I hope they continue making good product and soon.

Maybe part of it is that the first two series include the best songs and skits they had previously created on their radio show (albeit greatly improved), and the third seems to be mostly new material.

That's true actually. Noel Fielding was recently supposed to be on tour but it was cancelled, apparently because he had no 'new material', so as you say, the hiatuses are becoming longer and longer, but Julian Barratt I think has been working on other projects during the time when N.F. wasn't really doing much.

Boosh costumes (as per Scarlet's daughter's Halloween costume earlier on this thread) are great. One of my friends has a t-shirt that says "I am Old Gregg". :thumb:

Oh, I personally think the third series is funnier than the first. The second is definitely classic, hard to top.

Definitely agree, although personally the third series is rapidly becoming my favourite- to me it seems that the show has gotten better as its lifespan increases.

That's true actually. Noel Fielding was recently supposed to be on tour but it was cancelled, apparently because he had no 'new material', so as you say, the hiatuses are becoming longer and longer, but Julian Barratt I think has been working on other projects during the time when N.F. wasn't really doing much.

That's a very good point. I also heard somewhere they're planning for a movie, but I do hope we get another series or tour at some point.

I didn't like the 3rd series so much. I thought the two lead characters became cliches/stereotypes (Howard saying 'Sir' way too much) and the affection between them was lost a little bit.

I didn't like the 3rd series so much. I thought the two lead characters became cliches/stereotypes (Howard saying 'Sir' way too much) and the affection between them was lost a little bit.

Definitely!

I love The mighty Boosh:thumb:

favourite episode, season 3.....Journey to the Centre of the Punk

I know Noel Fielding's Vince is sexy, funny and we bask in the glory of his outfit but it's Julian Barratt's Howard with his love of stationary(stationary village) and jazz.

The kiss at the end of The Party episode, when Vince found out howard was a virgin.:love:

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-gvZEB4s3-Y&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-gvZEB4s3-Y&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

wonderful

*agrees with all of the above* My daughter introduced me to the Boosh, and it's brilliant.:thumb: I dressed as Eleanor for Halloween this year, my daughter was Vince (she even took pictures of Noel to the hairdresser to get his haircut), and her friend was Old Gregg.

Tags
boosh is loose
Back
Top Bottom