True Stories: Cat DancersMore4:

lainey

True Stories presents Harris Fishman's fascinating documentary, which features a mix of exotic animals and complex personal relationships.
The Cat DancersRon and Joy Holiday and Chuck Lizza, aka the Cat Dancers, were one of the world's first exotic-tiger entertainment acts.

For years, the trio shared a happy, if unorthodox, life as performers and lovers - until a pair of bizarre deaths brought their story to a tragic end.

"I almost think like it never happened, like it was a dream. That's the only way I want to remember her because I don't want to remember how it all ended," says Ron Holiday as he looks back over his life.

Ron Holiday met his future wife Joy at a dancing school when he was 11 years old and she was seven. "It was not love at first sight," Ron admits, but as young adults seeking their fortunes in New York City, they became a couple and eventually married.

The pair soon became a well-known adagio ballet team and performed at Radio City Music Hall. During this time, a friend gave them a black leopard cub and Ron and Joy began training their first exotic cats. After the duo's act took off, Ron and Joy moved to the Cat Dancers Ranch in Florida and hired Chuck Lizza, a circus recruit.

Chuck soon moved in, and for 14 years was part of the show, as well as becoming the lover of both Ron and Joy. Of their unorthodox relationship, Ron says, "I think the human race is very archaic. They need labels - which is very, very sad. When Chuck came into our life, the intimacy that we had spiritually made us three of the most unique people."

When Ron and Chuck wanted to increase the act's popularity by featuring a rare white tiger, Joy initially opposed the idea but eventually they obtained a Bengal tiger named Jupiter. Though raised like their other cats, Jupiter was stubborn and "had an attitude."

In October 1998 the trio's ranch was under construction, creating an unsettling environment for the animals. Chuck went to move Jupiter - who was uncaged at the time - to allow workmen access to part of the site. When one of his moccasins caught on a chain-link fence, Chuck tripped backwards, startling Jupiter, who instantly killed him.

Five weeks later, another shock was in store for the couple. Entering Jupiter's cage to feed the tiger, Joy turned her back on the animal, violating the first rule of safety. According to Ron, Jupiter grabbed Joy by the throat in the blink of an eye and tossed her in the air, killing her instantly.

Within a period of five weeks, Ron had lost his lover, his wife and their beloved Jupiter.

An fascinating insight into the life, love and loss of one man.

This is on telly on, This is very moving but animals should live in their NATURAL HABITAT

sorry what I posted above is so long winded, I just copied and pasted a review.

some will find the documentary creepy........The threesome,(yes, really) 'Cat Dancers', became one of the world's first exotic-tiger entertainment acts. They performed and lived togther for years as friends and lovers - until two strange incidents led to the tragic deaths of two of them.

CatDancers4.jpg

rcatdance.jpg

If the three of them were happy together, what's the problem?

Now about wild animals-seems people will never learn. A few months ago an 'exotic' snake escaped from his cage and strangled the couples baby, and last month a monkey attacked the owners friend-which was absolutely horrible-she lost both of her eyes.
Even dogs, I love them, but would never trust one to be alone with a small child.

They performed and lived togther for years as friends and lovers - until two strange incidents led to the tragic deaths of two of them.

"Strange incidents?" Really? Three dancers decide to become amateur tiger trainers, and the tiger is known to have an attitude? Five weeks after the tiger kills your lover, you're still going into the cage to feed it? This is tragic, but I'm trying to decide if the word "accident" is the appropriate word. Maybe if it's followed by the words "waiting to happen."

OK, I'm somewhat joking at the expense of this tragic incident. I wasn't there and don't know their mindset and the whole scenario. BUT... if I was in their situation, I would like to think I'd make different choices.

Boys and girls, that's why you should never wear moccasins while using power tools or feeding tigers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom