The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 246: IT'S NOT YOUR BIRTHDAY ANYMORE

How do you rate It's Not Your Birthday Anymore?

• Total voters

Houdini

In 2007, and early 2008, we put up polls for all 234 then released Morrissey and The Smiths-songs. More than 25,000 votes were cast and the result was The Morrissey/Smiths Top 100, or indeed, The Morrissey/The Smiths Top 234. This year many people have asked me to continue with the polls as 18 new Morrissey-songs have been released since. With the release of 'Swords' now seems as good a time as any to start them.

Song 246: IT'S NOT YOUR BIRTHDAY ANYMORE

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Perfection
9: Near perfect, brilliant
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He should be ashamed

Previous polls (voting will remain open):

Part 245: One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
Part 244: When Last I Spoke To Carol
Part 243: Black Cloud
Part 242: Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed
Part 241: Something Is Squeezing My Skull
Part 240: Because Of My Poor Education
Part 239: Shame Is The Name
Part 238: I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Part 237: My Dearest Love
Part 236: Drive-In Saturday
Part 235: Children In Pieces
Part 234: That's How People Grow Up
Part 233: All You Need Is Me
Part 232 and previous

I used to hate this song.. now I gave it an 8. I've been converted.

I don't get it. To me, this comes from the Snow Patrol songbook of Intentionally Anthemic songs. It's not bad, not good just...meh.

Peter

Worst song on Years of Refusal by a long way. Verges on MOR.

Worst song on Years of Refusal by a long way. Verges on MOR.

It starts up like "Snow Patrol" Anthemic, but then veers off the track into bitter, twisted, misanthropic subversion of the genre. He deliberately derides the "syrupy sentimental" in favour of the bumpy ride. MOR merchants could not dream of, let alone be brave enough to release such car crash material.

Having said that, it's not been sung successfully live and that's the measure of the ride for me, so 8.5 from me.

It starts up like "Snow Patrol" Anthemic, but then veers off the track into bitter, twisted, misanthropic subversion of the genre. He deliberately derides the "syrupy sentimental" in favour of the bumpy ride. MOR merchants could not dream of, let alone be brave enough to release such car crash material.

Having said that, it's not been sung successfully live and that's the measure of the ride for me, so 8.5 from me.

Exactly. It's a bitter, twisted, misanthropic little masterpiece.

It's about a 9.5 for me, because it really stands out as one of the most unpleasant songs I've ever heard, and his vocal work on it is incredible.

It is a shame he can't manage it live, but I'm not at all surprised.

This song is perfect. The 'oooh oooh oooh' bit is just orgasmic.
Why oh why won't he do it live?

He tried it once in Washington, but his voice was noticeably struggling. I don't know why the lads don't just transpose it to a lower key like they did with 'Something is Squeezing My Skull' to make it more accessible to him. But then again, I also don't know why he doesn't just release it as a single :D

Oh, btw, 10. On par with 'Now My Heart is Full' for me :) :guitar:

He tried it once in Washington, but his voice was noticeably struggling. I don't know why the lads don't just transpose it to a lower key like they did with 'Something is Squeezing My Skull' to make it more accessible to him. But then again, I also don't know why he doesn't just release it as a single :D

Oh, btw, 10. On par with 'Now My Heart is Full' for me :) :guitar:

Ah I didn't know he'd tried it. I figured it was a bit high for him, but he does do high bits on other songs. I agree; now my heart is full is beautiful too.

10 isn't enough. It's majestic.

9 from me. It's just that little teeny-tiny bit not as good as Speedway, Life Is A Pigsty and There Is A Light (my 10s).

10 isn't enough. It's majestic.

I'm with you on that, it's one of his best songs ever. Too bad it's too high for him, I don't think I'll ever hear it live. (And it may be for the best.)

an 8

good track which I really layd to much in a short time, half year ago I would gave it a 9

nothing more to add than allready written, these are the songs only
Morrissey can do,even the lyrics, or the title.

I'm in a hurry, cooking, mums birthday yesterday but going t'ninght :crazy:

I'd give it an eleven if I could.

turn-the-volume-up-to-11.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom