The really looking forward to Christmas thread

Maurice E

A thread for those of you willing to defy the Morrissey-fan stereotype!

Guess I'd say I really enjoy the festive period, rather than Christmas specifically.
I love the December build-up to it, the twinkling Christmas lights, the cosy atmosphere in pubs, the short dark days, many of the Christmas songs (but not all of them, I hate New York Fairytale and Merry C'Mas Everyone for example).
I love all the social stuff that goes on at work, with friends, family etc. I love the fact that I get a week off between Christmas and New Year. Unlike a week off at other times of the year, very few people work (in what I do) so you don't have to worry about missed deadlines and having 200 emails to sift through when you get back.
I'm even looking forward to Christmas and Boxing Day. We have a pretty harmonious and healthy family group these days, including young children who obviously love the magic of the whole thing.
New Year's Eve is good too, as long as expectations aren't too high. A bite to eat, a local pub or two etc. I also like reflecting on the past year and the feeling of starting with a clean slate that Jan 1st brings.
So, all in all, I say bring it on!

Last edited:
Hoorah! I love Christmas. I've already bought and wrapped lots of presents. And Miracle of 34th street is on tv right now - the original. In Santa we trust.

Maurice E, what a lovely thread! :love:

I adore this time of the year, I'm lucky enough to have a large loving family and a circle of great friends, so it's a joy to spend the festive period with them.

And it's just heartwarming to know that this time next year there will be one more family member to celebrate with...

I'm quoting myself here from another thread, it pretty much sums it up.

I love Christmas and enjoy every minute of it. BTW, today is the first Sunday of Advent, time to light the first candle on the Advent Crown!

adventi_koszoru_02.jpg

I love Christmas. The lights are up and we went to see Santa last night... It is my favorite time of year.

Last edited:
Got my tree put up today. A stocking is hanging. My little girl is asleep in bed with her doggie. Life is so good.

We decorated the windows today. Tree tomorrow. I do like the twinkling lights. And the song Little Drummer Boy. :blushing: Maybe I'll try harder to not hate Christmas.

Yay Christmas tree going up today, very exciting! The cat is in a manic mood as always they are when the tree goes up. It will probably be coming back down again if he attempts to climb it.

I saw the Christmas tram from my kitchen window last nigth!

991.jpg

I just made my very first beigli today - it's a traditional Hungarian Christmas pastry, filled with poppy seeds and nuts. Mine have turned out delicious but almost all of them opened up - too much filling! :tears:

This is how they should look:

beigli.jpg

Back
Top Bottom