Exract of forthcoming autobiography - Tate St Ives exhibition book

iwanttocry

An excerpt from Morrissey's forthcoming autobiography appears in the book that accompanies the Tate St Ives exhibition The Dark Monarch, Magic and Modernity in British Art. It's a brilliant piece called The Bleak Moor Lies about a chance encounter on Saddleworth Moor in 1989. I can't wait to get my hands on the full thing.

Re: Forthcoming Autobiography

when is his autobiography coming out?

An excerpt from Morrissey's forthcoming autobiography appears in the book that accompanies the Tate St Ives exhibition The Dark Monarch, Magic and Modernity in British Art. It's a brilliant piece called The Bleak Moor Lies about a chance encounter on Saddleworth Moor in 1989. I can't wait to get my hands on the full thing.

Well, yes, there is a Morrissey-essay in this Michael Bracewell-edited book, but how do you know it is an axcerpt from his autobiography??

http://www.tate.org.uk/shop/do/Books/Dark-Monarch/product/44567

Now this sounds interesting. Is it about his meeting of the grey partially undressed ghost on Wessenden Road? How do you know it's from the autobiography? Does the book have a title? So many questions. Can we see it online? A transcription perhaps? I think an account was published in an interview about 4 or 5 years ago. Could it just be that?

Peter

It's called an "essay" on the Tate site.

P44567-8027_4.jpg

With essays from Paul Bayley, Toni Carver, Cecil Collins, Ithell Colqhuoun, Ilsa Colsell, Brian Dillon, Ed Halter, Jennifer Higgie, Philip Hoare, Paul Nash, Chris Stephens, Marina Warner and Morrissey.

Taking its title from the controversial 1962 novel based in St Ives by Sven Berlin, The Dark Monarch explores the influence of folklore, mysticism, mythology and the occult on the development of modernism and surrealism in Britain. Featuring the works of both historic and contemporary artists, the book considers the renewed influence of neo-romantic and arcane themes on a significant strand of current British art practice.

Artists featured include: Michael Ayrton, Sven Berlin, Nicholas Byrne, Gillian Carnegie, Adam Chodzko, Steven Claydon, Cecil Collins, Ithell Colquhoun, John Craxton, Richard Dadd, Hubert Dalwood, Kaye Donachie, Meredith Frampton, Barbara Hepworth, Damien Hirst, Leslie Hurry, Derek Jarman, David Jones, Peter Lanyon, John Latham, Linder, Goshka Macuga, Jeremy Millar, Henry Moore, Paul Nash, David Noonan, Austin Osman Spare, Samuel Palmer, Simon Periton, John Piper, Fay Pomerance, Eric Ravilious, Eva Rothschild, John Russell, Penny Slinger, John Stezaker, Graham Sutherland, David Thorpe, Mark Titchner, J W Tucker, John Wells, Karl Weschke, J D Williams, Adrian Wiszniewski, Clare Woods, Cerith Wyn Evans, Bryan Wynter and Madame Yevonde.

216 pp

75 colour and 40 black-and-white illustrations

Dimensions 230 x 170mm
Paperback
ISBN 9781854378743

£19.99 stg.

http://www.tate.org.uk/shop/do/Books/Dark-Monarch/product/44567

This excites me. :D

This looks very interesting. I don't think the rumours about him releasing an autobiography will come true. I think his autobiography is his lyrics.

This looks very interesting. I don't think the rumours about him releasing an autobiography will come true. I think his autobiography is his lyrics.

Thats what i thought. He wont even tell russell brand the name of his mums cats so i doubt hed release his life story to the world. Real icons dont write autobiographies:thumb:

Exciting indeed to find this. I only went in to avoid the rain.

No title, no dates, just a great bit of Mozzer's writing: p151, "Copyright MORRISSEY. Taken from his forthcoming autobiography." That's all it says.

"How many rent boys and runaways, troubled teens and latchkey children, motherless druggies and mouthy hardnuts, missing-from-homes and mousy Carol Anns? Could this be their spot?"

Exciting indeed to find this. I only went in to avoid the rain.

No title, no dates, just a great bit of Mozzer's writing: p151, "Copyright MORRISSEY. Taken from his forthcoming autobiography." That's all it says.

"How many rent boys and runaways, troubled teens and latchkey children, motherless druggies and mouthy hardnuts, missing-from-homes and mousy Carol Anns? Could this be their spot?"

Sounding more interesting by the second.

I think the extract referred to is the ghostly encounter, which was first publicly described in this article.

Peter

Is it about his meeting of the grey partially undressed ghost on Wessenden Road?
Peter

It certainly is. He's in a "resourceful" Merc with Linder, Tim and James. It reminds me of the poet Simon Armitage, and mentions Marsden, Armitage's home village. I like it very much.

"Just a place of dread, and we are in it."

Sounding more interesting by the second.

I think the extract referred to is the ghostly encounter, which was first publicly described in this article.

Peter

Yep, he's taken the story by the horns and he's gone with it. Brilliant. I wish more people would take Morrissey seriously. He's got a hell of a lot to say, and he works his balls off.:guitar:

Yep, he's taken the story by the horns and he's gone with it. Brilliant. I wish more people would take Morrissey seriously. He's got a hell of a lot to say, and he works his balls off.:guitar:

Hey, I'm not going to disagree with that. Thanks for coming here and telling us about this - very much appreciated.

Peter

D:

It's so expensive. Crazy shipping!

WhatshouldIdowhatshouldIdowhatshouldIdoooo? :confused:

You should go ahead and cry. :blushing: Essokay.

Tags
autobiography
Back
Top Bottom