That Trip To Canada Really Broadened My Horizons

M

Mr.Proper

It's sad, but some people don't realize what a big world it is. They don't see how much there is to learn from other cultures. Me, I've never shied away from exposing myself to foreign ways of life: From drinking margaritas in Key West to riding the teacups at Disneyland, I've been a lot of places and seen a lot of things. But when I took a trip to the Great White North last month, I had no idea how much it would broaden my horizons and open up my mind.

Have you ever been to Canada? If you look for it on a map, you'll realize it isn't far from the United States. But once you cross the border from America to Canada, you'll immediately know you're in a foreign land.

Case in point: the food. While I was in downtown Toronto looking for a place to eat, just something simple like a McDonald's or Hardee's, I came across a restaurant I'd never seen before called Mr. Sub. I figured, "Hey, when in Rome..." And you know what? My open-mindedness paid off! It was a sub shop, but it had a breaded-fish sub. I'd never seen anything like that in a Blimpie or Subway. I guess those Canadians really like their fish. In the end, I got a "Great Canadian Sub" so I'd get the full Canadian experience. And guess what? It was great. Just goes to show what can happen when you leave yourself open to new experiences.

Something else that's a little strange about Canada is how they don't use pounds or miles or inches. Everything is metric. I remember learning about the metric system in chemistry class, but this is an entire country that measures everything differently. That's the sort of thing you only learn by actually going out there into the world.

Another thing that really gave me pause was seeing road signs in French and English. The first time I saw a bilingual sign, I didn't know what was up. But the Let's Go Toronto guidebook said that a lot of Canadians speak French as their first language. How odd is that? As I soon learned, the French colonized a lot of Canada instead of the English, so not only did I get some French culture, but I got a history lesson, as well. That's why you take trips—to learn a little bit more about the world around you.

What also threw me off was that Canadian money looks completely different from ours. The bills are different colors, and instead of presidents, they have prime ministers and queens on them. I guess if you spend your whole life stuck in the U.S., you never really think about something like currency. But when you're confronted with a bill that doesn't have George Washington or Abraham Lincoln on it, you really start to think about how each country is unique and how that's reflected in their money.

Seeing the Canadian money also made me think that Canadians wouldn't understand what rappers were talking about when they used the term "dead presidents." You see, even the universal language of music wouldn't translate well between our two diverse cultures.

Did you know that Canada also has a space needle? I figured Seattle was the only place to have one, but Canada has one, too. Except it's called the CN Tower. It's amazing how you can have two totally different countries and still have a common thread that binds them. It's kind of reassuring to realize that maybe Americans and other cultures aren't so different, after all.

I'm really glad I got the opportunity to take in the wonders of Canada before it got too Americanized. It would be a shame to see something uniquely Canadian like the Hockey Hall Of Fame turn into our Baseball Hall Of Fame.

When I finally made it back home, I started to see things through a different lens. I no longer viewed the world as being all the same. Now I see it for what it is: America and a bunch of other places with subtle differences from us.

who is this looney tune? the only good thing about canada is this:steve yzerman,my favorite hockey player. Canada this,canada that!! canada and it's "oot and aboot" people need to stop trying to be cool,your not!! your flag has a leaf on it, A LEAF for chrissake! that right there means you stink.

Re: that trip to the insane asylum really aid off for you as well!!!

Now Now,don't get mad at us becuase you were baseball cleats and you don't play baseball. Don't get upset with us because you can't think of anything original yourself to come up with,so you figure you'll try to imitate me and be like me to get your point across?? shame shame. Mr. proper feels your pain but wants you to know that i'm also flattered that you would idolize me so much that you'd feel as if you had to imitate me. thats the sincerist form of flattery. be yourself,I am.

> It's sad, but some people don't realize what a big world it is. They
> don't see how much there is to learn from other cultures. Me, I've never
> shied away from exposing myself to foreign ways of life: From drinking
> margaritas in Key West to riding the teacups at Disneyland, I've been a
> lot of places and seen a lot of things. But when I took a trip to the
> Great White North last month, I had no idea how much it would broaden my
> horizons and open up my mind.

> Have you ever been to Canada? If you look for it on a map, you'll realize
> it isn't far from the United States. But once you cross the border from
> America to Canada, you'll immediately know you're in a foreign land.

> Case in point: the food. While I was in downtown Toronto looking for a
> place to eat, just something simple like a McDonald's or Hardee's, I came
> across a restaurant I'd never seen before called Mr. Sub. I figured,
> "Hey, when in Rome..." And you know what? My open-mindedness
> paid off! It was a sub shop, but it had a breaded-fish sub. I'd never seen
> anything like that in a Blimpie or Subway. I guess those Canadians really
> like their fish. In the end, I got a "Great Canadian Sub" so I'd
> get the full Canadian experience. And guess what? It was great. Just goes
> to show what can happen when you leave yourself open to new experiences.

> Something else that's a little strange about Canada is how they don't use
> pounds or miles or inches. Everything is metric. I remember learning about
> the metric system in chemistry class, but this is an entire country that
> measures everything differently. That's the sort of thing you only learn
> by actually going out there into the world.

> Another thing that really gave me pause was seeing road signs in French
> and English. The first time I saw a bilingual sign, I didn't know what was
> up. But the Let's Go Toronto guidebook said that a lot of Canadians speak
> French as their first language. How odd is that? As I soon learned, the
> French colonized a lot of Canada instead of the English, so not only did I
> get some French culture, but I got a history lesson, as well. That's why
> you take trips—to learn a little bit more about the world around you.

> What also threw me off was that Canadian money looks completely different
> from ours. The bills are different colors, and instead of presidents, they
> have prime ministers and queens on them. I guess if you spend your whole
> life stuck in the U.S., you never really think about something like
> currency. But when you're confronted with a bill that doesn't have George
> Washington or Abraham Lincoln on it, you really start to think about how
> each country is unique and how that's reflected in their money.

> Seeing the Canadian money also made me think that Canadians wouldn't
> understand what rappers were talking about when they used the term
> "dead presidents." You see, even the universal language of music
> wouldn't translate well between our two diverse cultures.

> Did you know that Canada also has a space needle? I figured Seattle was
> the only place to have one, but Canada has one, too. Except it's called
> the CN Tower. It's amazing how you can have two totally different
> countries and still have a common thread that binds them. It's kind of
> reassuring to realize that maybe Americans and other cultures aren't so
> different, after all.

> I'm really glad I got the opportunity to take in the wonders of Canada
> before it got too Americanized. It would be a shame to see something
> uniquely Canadian like the Hockey Hall Of Fame turn into our Baseball Hall
> Of Fame.

> When I finally made it back home, I started to see things through a
> different lens. I no longer viewed the world as being all the same. Now I
> see it for what it is: America and a bunch of other places with subtle
> differences from us.

Thank you for writing this, I enjoyed your sense of humor. Brilliant.

This Post Was Lifted Directly From The Onion (www.theonion.com)

Give credit where credit is due.

Re: This Post Was Lifted Directly From The Onion (www.theonion.com)

You expect this idiot to come up with his own stuff? He's been ripping off me for months shadaloogan hooligan

That proves it!! Mr. Proper IS Morrissey!

Plagiarism begins at home

> Give credit where credit is due.

Re: This Post Was Lifted Directly From The Onion (www.theonion.com)

Ripped you off??? don't flatter yourself jerky! your not good enough to get ripped off. I think your very funny,but thats it. you keep this fassad going about who rules and who doesn't,bottom line is:we're both here because we enjoy screwing with other people,only I've toned it down a bit. but leyt it be known,I won't hesitate to step on some necks if need be. got that jackmutt souip ala mode??? with clitcream crackers on the side??

Re: That proves it!! Mr. Proper IS Morrissey!

I am not morrissey,b ut thanks for the reply. im actually flattered by what you said. me,morrissey? I dont think so.

Back
Top Bottom