Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Leeds pre gig meet up

  1. #1
    Senior Member northernleech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    closer than you think
    Posts
    334
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Default Leeds pre gig meet up

    just bought ticket at last minute (thanks ali) and am comin down from newcastle on my own (aaaah) and wondering if anyone is meeting up beforehand - the walkabout bar is nearby i hear (just up the street i believe) and seems the easy choice ! think i will be there by 7 at latest (imagine you will all be on the barrier by then) but i will have a pint there beforehand .. so if you care to join me ..or if another venue has already been agreed let me know !

    0 Not allowed!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Leeds pre gig meet up

    I'll be heading down to Walkabout at about 6.30-ish. Hopefully there'll be a few fans in there, and maybe the staff could even be persuaded to play some old classics if there's enough of us there.

    0 Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Guttersnipe Brel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,336
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Re: Leeds pre gig meet up

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusholme Ruffian 90 View Post
    I'll be heading down to Walkabout at about 6.30-ish. Hopefully there'll be a few fans in there, and maybe the staff could even be persuaded to play some old classics if there's enough of us there.

    Are you sure about that?

    DJ Danny Cole (from 6:30pm)
    UKs Top DJs playing the best Old School & latest Dance tracks mixed with Rock/Pop/Party Classics


    Surely their must be a bona fide boozer nearby?

    0 Not allowed!
    Objectionable when Sober. Abominable when Drunk.

  4. #4
    Senior Member northernleech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    closer than you think
    Posts
    334
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Default Re: Leeds pre gig meet up

    Quote Originally Posted by Brel View Post
    Are you sure about that?

    DJ Danny Cole (from 6:30pm)
    UKs Top DJs playing the best Old School & latest Dance tracks mixed with Rock/Pop/Party Classics


    Surely their must be a bona fide boozer nearby?
    yeah i saw that quality dj too (???) the other bar mentioned was nationofshopkeepers which is further down the street - looks up it's own arse to me - so any locals know any better ?

    0 Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Born-again Atheist Wild Oscar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    In the darkened underpass
    Posts
    439
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Re: Leeds pre gig meet up

    Quote Originally Posted by northernleech View Post
    yeah i saw that quality dj too (???) the other bar mentioned was nationofshopkeepers which is further down the street - looks up it's own arse to me - so any locals know any better ?
    I've not been in for a couple of years or so (when it was called the Courtyard) and I'm not really 'down with the kids' (I'm 48) but I thought it was a half-decent place: good in summer cos of the...erm, courtyard and there are far more pretentious places in Leeds, that's for sure.

    I think it's a reasonable place to meet up - not sawdust + spitoon, and not too wine-bar type (am I showing my age now?)

    Anyway, how will anyone recognise each other? I mean, you'll know if someone's going to the gig but not necessarily been on this site, won't you?

    0 Not allowed!
    Give us a drink - and make it quick!

  6. #6
    Senior Member northernleech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    closer than you think
    Posts
    334
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Default Re: Leeds pre gig meet up

    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Oscar View Post
    I've not been in for a couple of years or so (when it was called the Courtyard) and I'm not really 'down with the kids' (I'm 48) but I thought it was a half-decent place: good in summer cos of the...erm, courtyard and there are far more pretentious places in Leeds, that's for sure.

    I think it's a reasonable place to meet up - not sawdust + spitoon, and not too wine-bar type (am I showing my age now?)

    Anyway, how will anyone recognise each other? I mean, you'll know if someone's going to the gig but not necessarily been on this site, won't you?
    an arched eyebrow and a withering sigh is all that is required ! ha ha ! there should be a gallery set up with all our photos on for such a situation ! we could just hang around the toilets looking furtive !! the pub looks suitably alternative but there a few bars in newcastle that attract the beardy types and it reminded me of that ( nothing wrong with beards .. unless they are on women or children) i am on facebook as anthony eagle if that helps !

    0 Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Born-again Atheist Wild Oscar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    In the darkened underpass
    Posts
    439
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Re: Leeds pre gig meet up

    Quote Originally Posted by northernleech View Post
    an arched eyebrow and a withering sigh is all that is required ! ha ha ! there should be a gallery set up with all our photos on for such a situation ! we could just hang around the toilets looking furtive !! the pub looks suitably alternative but there a few bars in newcastle that attract the beardy types and it reminded me of that ( nothing wrong with beards .. unless they are on women or children) i am on facebook as anthony eagle if that helps !
    At the risk of sounding stupid, what do 'beardy types' look like? I don't think it's a particularly student-type or 'yoghurt knitting' type place but, as I say, I'm not that well-informed. Basically, it's worth chancing for an hour or two without grief or embarrassment.

    I'll take a look on facebook and get back to you - I'm also on as Mike Cartwright

    WO

    0 Not allowed!
    Give us a drink - and make it quick!

  8. #8
    Born-again Atheist Wild Oscar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    In the darkened underpass
    Posts
    439
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Re: Leeds pre gig meet up

    Quote Originally Posted by northernleech View Post
    i am on facebook as anthony eagle if that helps !
    There's 5 of you with only photos of 2 - give us a chance!

    0 Not allowed!
    Give us a drink - and make it quick!

  9. #9
    Born-again Atheist Wild Oscar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    In the darkened underpass
    Posts
    439
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Re: Leeds pre gig meet up

    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Oscar View Post
    There's 5 of you with only photos of 2 - give us a chance!
    Oh...just noticed...your avatar could be a bit of a giveaway! Is that you or a total diversion?

    0 Not allowed!
    Give us a drink - and make it quick!

  10. #10
    Senior Member northernleech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    closer than you think
    Posts
    334
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Default Re: Leeds pre gig meet up

    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Oscar View Post
    Oh...just noticed...your avatar could be a bit of a giveaway! Is that you or a total diversion?
    my facebook photo is a kinda pop art / warhol thing - my solo avatar is me .. as me

    0 Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    164
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Re: Leeds pre gig meet up

    Where is there to park? Anywhere cheap? I'm going alone but am so I'll it's untrue

    0 Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Sing Me To Sleep.... Mozzaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Under The Floorboards
    Posts
    128
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Re: Leeds pre gig meet up

    there is bourbon bar which is just as closer and better than walkabout bit of a studenty bar and they play indie all the time! I'd say here is best bet i came before the last gig icame to at the academy. See you all about hopefully!!!!

    0 Not allowed!
    I Can Sink Much Lower Than Usual.....

  13. #13
    Guttersnipe Brel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,336
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Re: Leeds pre gig meet up

    Quote Originally Posted by Mozzaa View Post
    there is bourbon bar which is just as closer and better than walkabout bit of a studenty bar and they play indie all the time! I'd say here is best bet i came before the last gig icame to at the academy. See you all about hopefully!!!!
    Do they sell pints though?

    0 Not allowed!
    Objectionable when Sober. Abominable when Drunk.

  14. #14
    Senior Member northernleech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    closer than you think
    Posts
    334
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Default Re: Leeds pre gig meet up

    Quote Originally Posted by ClintBoon View Post
    Where is there to park? Anywhere cheap? I'm going alone but am so I'll it's untrue
    i am drivin down too - there is a multi storey on merrion way and another (or it may be the same with a different entrance) on woodhouse lane (its a Qpark) this is only a street away from the academy ! think it's about 4 quid for the evening - qpark have a website if you need more details ! see ya later tonight maybe !!

    0 Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Sing Me To Sleep.... Mozzaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Under The Floorboards
    Posts
    128
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Re: Leeds pre gig meet up

    Oh most probably

    0 Not allowed!
    I Can Sink Much Lower Than Usual.....

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    164
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Re: Leeds pre gig meet up

    Quote Originally Posted by northernleech View Post
    i am drivin down too - there is a multi storey on merrion way and another (or it may be the same with a different entrance) on woodhouse lane (its a Qpark) this is only a street away from the academy ! think it's about 4 quid for the evening - qpark have a website if you need more details ! see ya later tonight maybe !!
    Cheers for that, might get there just after tea time and have a wander.

    0 Not allowed!

  17. #17
    Senior Member northernleech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    closer than you think
    Posts
    334
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Default Re: Leeds pre gig meet up

    Quote Originally Posted by Mozzaa View Post
    there is bourbon bar which is just as closer and better than walkabout bit of a studenty bar and they play indie all the time! I'd say here is best bet i came before the last gig icame to at the academy. See you all about hopefully!!!!
    bourbon bar looks suitably shabby for a bunch of luddites like us - spirits + mixer for 1, doubles for 2 !! shame i am drivin ! can we agree on here then ? depending on traffic i should be in leeds by 7 at latest !

    0 Not allowed!

  18. #18
    Sing Me To Sleep.... Mozzaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Under The Floorboards
    Posts
    128
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Re: Leeds pre gig meet up

    I say bourbon myself I've been in afew times on a night out it's got beer what more do you need!?

    0 Not allowed!
    I Can Sink Much Lower Than Usual.....

  19. #19
    Member blouseybrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Re: Leeds pre gig meet up

    Hi there! I'm completely new to this forum. Going to the gig tonight, I'm unbelievably excited, I might do a sick.

    0 Not allowed!

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Re: Leeds pre gig meet up

    Quote Originally Posted by northernleech View Post
    just bought ticket at last minute (thanks ali) and am comin down from newcastle on my own (aaaah) and wondering if anyone is meeting up beforehand - the walkabout bar is nearby i hear (just up the street i believe) and seems the easy choice ! think i will be there by 7 at latest (imagine you will all be on the barrier by then) but i will have a pint there beforehand .. so if you care to join me ..or if another venue has already been agreed let me know !
    Should be in town for about 7.30. Will text you when there with ticket, you can always hook up with us lot- would hate to see you hanging around on your own
    Ali

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Ali; October 29, 2009 at 12:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. YATQ Edinburgh gig - pre pub meet
    By Springheeledjim84 in forum General Discussion archive 2006 (read-only)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 7, 2006, 01:56 PM
  2. pr amsterdam gig/ROTT released gig Utrecht 7 april
    By Eye in forum General Discussion archive 2006 (read-only)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 28, 2006, 09:40 PM
  3. Edinburgh Pre Gig Meet Up
    By Girl Unafraid in forum General Discussion archive 2004 (read-only)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 28, 2004, 01:48 PM
  4. Where's the pre-gig meet-up for tonight??
    By JimmyGilmore in forum General Discussion archive 2004 (read-only)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 11, 2004, 02:21 PM
  5. JUNE 11th Pre/Post gig meet up....
    By Stan Cooke in forum General Discussion archive 2004 (read-only)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: May 29, 2004, 06:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •