Here we go again another fake

You can tell a nice story and you can be a top Smiths seller in the past but this Meat Is Murder "signed" LP is definitely a fake, not even close in fact. Do not fool us with this rubbish !

Sold more smiths items than you've had hot dinners including signed items. The bloke across the road went to school with Morrissey. Is that another story? If you want to accuse people of being dishonest I would be very careful

I bet you didn't even know the Heaven Knows white label existed before I sold it so what makes you such an expert? I can tell you where and when it was signed. Its on my wall and there it will stay until someone pays the full asking price. You stay being a fan boy who never even saw the smiths play as you probably weren't even born. Numpty!

I bet you didn't even know the Heaven Knows white label existed before I sold it so what makes you such an expert? I can tell you where and when it was signed. Its on my wall and there it will stay until someone pays the full asking price. You stay being a fan boy who never even saw the smiths play as you probably weren't even born. Numpty!

Love the white label pal, but if you're as familiar as you say you are with Smiths signatures, you shouldn't be surprised at the response to this set.

So is it fake or not

It's not the best I don't like it wouldn't buy it, but that M,the E and those 2 bloody S's When I compare those S's I'm almost positive I'm not certain. But then there's the fact that,"The bloke across the road went to school with Morrissey" so who knows?

It's not the best I don't like it wouldn't buy it, but that M,the E and those 2 bloody S's When I compare those S's I'm almost positive I'm not certain. But then there's the fact that,"The bloke across the road went to school with Morrissey" so who knows?

That about the bloke across the road is true but a joke. If you want to know where it came from I can tell you. I lived in The Crown on Deansgate (Now called The Deansgate) and this is down the road from the Free Trade Hall. I had a ticket for the concert and had been to see them quite a few times in Manchester. A friend of my mum has a daughter called Marie and when I came downstairs she was in the pub with her friend. They were going to the concert. I had known Marie since I was small and she had never let on that she liked The Smiths. She introduced her friend as 'Morrissey's cousin'. I laughed and suggested that was a big pile. She told me they both had backstage passes and that she would get me something signed. My collection was upstairs so I grabbed the Meat Is Murder from my collection and gave it to her. Its a Portuguese copy I bought from Yanks (later Power Cuts) off Oxford Road, She returned it after the concert with a postcard signed ' To Nigel, isn't it funny how bees like honey' Morrissey. They were both signed at the same time and she also got the rest of the band to sign the LP. I have no reason to believe that this teenager was a master forger and that she hung around town waiting for the concert to end. My mum got it framed for me. Think what you like

Yeah I'm with ya there, wouldn't like to call someone a liar but it doesn't look right to me, all I got to go on is my gut, and morrissey didn't sign like this in the smiths days did he?

Yeah I'm with ya there, wouldn't like to call someone a liar but it doesn't look right to me, all I got to go on is my gut, and morrissey didn't sign like this in the smiths days did he?

Morrisseys never signed like that cos its fake, you're right tho in the early days he used straight lines, this is too curved and the writing is too clean, morrisseys early sigs were quite unflattering . Only later he started to curve/slant his letters, the signed refusal lp's you see are a good guide.

You can tell a nice story and you can be a top Smiths seller in the past but this Meat Is Murder "signed" LP is definitely a fake, not even close in fact.

I saw it on ebay for a long time and never thought it was real myself.

There might be 2 authentic signatures on it.

Hi, I'm hoping the experts on here can tell me if this autograph is real or fake? My friend got this many years ago, in the early 90's from a guy who was a big-time Morrissey collector back then. He had won a radio station auction to meet Morrissey and he had pictures of him getting things signed. Anyways, he seemed like a legit guy to buy from but my friend and I are not experts on all the different Morrissey signatures of different eras. This was probably signed sometime around 1991, 1992 if it's actually real. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

interestingdrug.jpg

Hi, I'm hoping the experts on here can tell me if this autograph is real or fake? My friend got this many years ago, in the early 90's from a guy who was a big-time Morrissey collector back then. He had won a radio station auction to meet Morrissey and he had pictures of him getting things signed. Anyways, he seemed like a legit guy to buy from but my friend and I are not experts on all the different Morrissey signatures of different eras. This was probably signed sometime around 1991, 1992 if it's actually real. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

View attachment 32344

Looks legit to me...

View attachment 32344

You might be disappointed to hear my opinion but I have to say it's a fake. A couples of serious errors, including the fact that the signature looks written on and not "signed" and the letters got progressively smaller as the signer went on, indicative of a forger concentrating too much on the fonts and not the size. A real auto would have letters of the same size, more or less. The "y" is suspect too. One more very important factor that is present in all authentic Morrissey autos is not here but I will not say what it is. Forgers get smarter all the time but they all seems to miss this point and I don't wish to alert them.

This is quite a good forgery in my opinion and can easily fool the casual collector. Just my opinion though.

Thanks for the info. I'm not surprised to hear you say that. I thought the "y" looked a little funny myself. But considering who he got it from, I am actually a bit surprised. But I guess the guy could have used his picture of himself with Morrissey as a good selling point to prove it was real but then just fake a whole bunch of stuff. I think my friend paid the guy like $15 back in 1991 or 1992 and I don't think he is too concerned or will be too bummed if he finds out it's fake. We were more curious to hear what some people had to say about it than anything.

You might be disappointed to hear my opinion but I have to say it's a fake. A couples of serious errors, including the fact that the signature looks written on and not "signed" and the letters got progressively smaller as the signer went on, indicative of a forger concentrating too much on the fonts and not the size. A real auto would have letters of the same size, more or less. The "y" is suspect too. One more very important factor that is present in all authentic Morrissey autos is not here but I will not say what it is. Forgers get smarter all the time but they all seems to miss this point and I don't wish to alert them.

This is quite a good forgery in my opinion and can easily fool the casual collector. Just my opinion though.

Tags
#strangewaysherewecome autograph newfavethread signature signed
Back
Top Bottom