Manchester gets pulled down

V

vauxhall driver

I've just returned from a day trip to the old Mcr, I can't believe that everything is getting pulled down to build yuppie appartments.(How many yuppies are they to fill all the new developments) Even the Hacienda has gone, that place should have stood (with a blue plaque on the wall) as a monument for one of the greatest moments of British popular culture. I was tempted to get a brick for myself but I remembered what happend to Bob in "The Likely Lads" when he tried to recover a brick from his childhood home.
Anyway I'll be back over for a drink and a dance in the Star and Garter on Friday
Vd

Yes, it's a bit silly really isn't it seeing as though we've made similar mistakes before. Look at Piccadilly Plaza for one of the most distressing blots on the Earths crust (and as for the Arndale, eeeew!).

Once the trend falls off who is going to be there to pick up the pieces? The Morrissey's, Brown's, Ryders and Shelley's of the world. It's the only reason we're so interesting to these benign money motivated shirts who invade the city.

f*** 'em eh?

At least Manchester will always be Red.

Manchester will always be BLUE

As someone who works right in the city centre I can only add to the depression. My office was surrounded by empty space for years, now all around is multi story car parks and yuppie apartments. But what pissed me off the most was i could see the top of The Kippax roof from my window. now all i can see is bloody bricks.
The Housemartins 'Build' was never more aptly described than here. they build so fast it makes you sick. just build.

Re: Manchester will always be BLUE

> As someone who works right in the city centre I can only add to the
> depression. My office was surrounded by empty space for years, now all
> around is multi story car parks and yuppie apartments. But what pissed me
> off the most was i could see the top of The Kippax roof from my window.
> now all i can see is bloody bricks.
> The Housemartins 'Build' was never more aptly described than here. they
> build so fast it makes you sick. just build.

Your talking out your arse mate. I live in Manchester too and the changes in the city have been spectacular.

X

that's so sad

It's such a tragedy when landmarks get torn down, the same thing is happening all over the US. Leave a city then go back in 5 years and it's totally changed. Society should cherish its history, preserve it, not destroy it. 5 years ago, the suburb I live in used to be nothing but farmland and forest and now it's nothing but row houses, mini vans and strip malls.

You should have taken two bricks. One to keep and one to sell on EBay.

> I've just returned from a day trip to the old Mcr, I can't believe that
> everything is getting pulled down to build yuppie appartments.(How many
> yuppies are they to fill all the new developments) Even the Hacienda has
> gone, that place should have stood (with a blue plaque on the wall) as a
> monument for one of the greatest moments of British popular culture. I was
> tempted to get a brick for myself but I remembered what happend to Bob in
> "The Likely Lads" when he tried to recover a brick from his
> childhood home.
> Anyway I'll be back over for a drink and a dance in the Star and Garter on
> Friday
> Vd

Re: Manchester will always be BLUE

Yes it is spectacular - in parts.
I work around Oxford Road / Oxford Street area. It's just car parks and apartments going up. Just how many more apartments are going to be built?? when will the bubble burst???
Try looking around the area around The Ritz. UGLY isn't it?
Of course it is nice around Castlefield / The Printworks / M&S / Deansgate Locks etc, but not out of my office window!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom