Johnny Marr to make album with Ian Brown

Wow, that could be a great combination.

Off-topic: Ian looks like hell, don't he? So gaunt.

I never liked Stone Roses and I never liked post-Smiths Marr... I'll give it a listen because I am always hoping that Johnny is going to amaze me and it seems no matter how many times he fails I keep giving him more chances. I feel like a woman in a bad relationship.

Speaking of Johnny, that 7 Worlds Collide project "The Sun Came Out" with Mr. Finn has just come out today. The review I read was positive.

P.S. the Marr children, Sonny & Nile, also contribute background vocals and acoustic guitar

Last edited:
"...The Mancunian rock legends are hoping to form a supergroup to write the soundtrack for a friend's TV dramas..."

Whenever I see or hear the term "supergroup" I think of a lot of ego and rubbish. Perhaps this will be different.

Johnny Marr & Ian Brown to collaborate

from the NME... http://www.nme.com/news/ian-brown/47562

Ian Brown and The Cribs' Johnny Marr are set to work on a TV soundtrack album, The Stone Roses' former singer has revealed.

Brown told BBC News that the Mancunians were going to collaborate to create the music for a show being written by a mutual friend of theirs. He said he'd like to enlist his former Stone Roses bassist bandmate Mani plus Happy Mondays' Paul Ryder to help out too.

"The idea is that Johnny writes the music and I write the words and the melodies," he explained. "We've got a mutual friend who's writing a drama series. One of them's about ticket touts, another one's about grafters – kids who sell T-shirts and things like that – and another one's about pickpockets.

"We're going to get together and do the soundtrack for these dramas. We'd have to bring a drummer or a bass player in."

Last night (September 28) Ian Brown played a gig at the London Relentless Garage, during which he covered The Beatles' 'All You Need Is Love'.

Re: Johnny Marr & Ian Brown to collaborate

andy rourke and reni could help out with the bass and drums

That would be f***IN AMMMMAZING!
And yeah, as someone mentioned, "super group" I cringe at that word. I think of old farts like Rod Stewart jammin with The Stones or Aerosmith. Why call them a super group? What's soo incredibly "super" about them? They're just regular people/musicians? Gimme a break.

Ian Browns new album is awful as well...

Actually it is top notch, some absolute stomping songs on it, and lyrically one of his best

Maybe they should ditch Ian Brown from the project altogether and bring in Morrissey on vocals. Andy Rourke could play bass. Mike Joyce could play drums.

maybe Noel Gallagher joins too, for the 9th time he broke Liam, hope its
the last time

That nosy whiney singing of him give me the creeps, so Noel could be
better of alone, or give Liam his royalties and fired papers, so Noël can
go on with Oasis, trying to make an album which doesn't sound like
the Beatles, the first 2 were OK, after that it was repeat.

Tim Booth can be on vocals

and Morrissey a duet with Lloyd Cole

:crazy:

and they say I'm a mentall troll

Let's just say the competition isn't particularly fierce for that particular honour...

What you on about, ian brown is a brilliant lyricist, has wrote some class songs and lyrics, FEAR is one of the best songs of the past 10 years

What you on about, ian brown is a brilliant lyricist, has wrote some class songs and lyrics, FEAR is one of the best songs of the past 10 years

FEAR is NOT one of the best songs in ten years. I very much doubt it's one of the best songs in the last 10 months.
I heard a not very bright builder going on about this song t'other day.
the conversation went thus

Builder bum 1 " have you 'eard that tune from Ian Brown, da FEAR"
Builder bum 2 " na man I aint. Whats it like"

Builder bum 3 " wicked man,sick. really clever each word he says spells fear".

Oh dear, I thought the world has some very stupid people in it and then went to sleep.

I do like the Roses and i think Ian has done some good solo stuff and I love it that he's proved all the nay sayers wrong- I do have a soft spot for him ( manly because I'm from a working class background in the UK and I'm used to his ilk). But people like him who have a lot of "cool" appeal with the music press get away with murder. They release sub standard lps with half (at best) formed ideas and lyrics and still they get treated 4 star reviews and what not.

I mentioned in a previous post that I thought deep down johnny would have much rather been in a more ladish band like the Roses or Oasis he must be so happy.

Last edited:
He hasn't released a sub standard album though, all his albums are solid and to say fear ain't a good song is utter shite. Ian brown omits coolness because he, like morrissey doesn't really conform to the stereotypical rock and roll star.

Back
Top Bottom