Mrs Robinson (Lemonheads) & Moz

G

goinghome

This may have been mentioned before. I saw The Lemonheads in Dublin just over a week ago. Then I read the entry for Top of the Pops in Mozipedia which reported the same band's imitation of Morrissey on their TOTP appearance promoting the single Mrs Robinson ( from 2mins 30secs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNyUXM2RUVI&feature=related

Earlier tonight I saw Hockey in action in the same venue, The Academy, and just to remind you of their post-modern era anthem in the making 'Too Fake', here it is again: - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2kVL85X2Fc . They ain't going away...

(Johnny Marr was there last night with The Cribs; would've loved to have been there too)

Well,
The dull old lemonheads and their ever unoriginal rich boy singer.
Famous for a cover song and wearing Cobains coat.
To me he is simply awful, even doing a Morrissey Impression is unoriginal on Top of The Pops.
Cobain did a Moz impression for a whole song.
It was very amusing.

Well,
The dull old lemonheads and their ever unoriginal rich boy singer.
Famous for a cover song and wearing Cobains coat.
To me he is simply awful, even doing a Morrissey Impression is unoriginal on Top of The Pops.
Cobain did a Moz impression for a whole song.
It was very amusing.

Yeah i remember watching it at the time and laughing.
"Cobain later said he was trying to sound like former Smiths frontman Morrissey"
You wouldn't have guessed eh.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Cobain later said he was trying to sound like former Smiths frontman Morrissey"

So why is he fellating his microphone? Morrissey never did that, did he? A bottle of dish soap, sure, but not his microphone.

I hate Kurt Cobain. I hate that song. I am only a little ashamed to admit that I laughed when he died (how unoriginal, you know? Why not try sticking around and making some more music?) while the rest of campus went into deep mourning. Which consisted of smoking an extra joint that day and weeping a little. :rolleyes:

Actually, the three girls in the apartment across the hall from me went into deep, loud, hysterical weeping. I was embarrassed for them. If Morrissey offed himself I'd probably have knocked over the check cashing stand in the Student Union as a bizarrely cheery form of rebellion. Or started a bonfire on the Quad and thrown my homework on it. Except my English classes. Would not have burned those materials. :D

The Lemonheads' impression was much more amusing.

That's a lousy Morrissey impression, but it's a brilliant Andrew Eldritch. :thumb:

I hate Kurt Cobain. I hate that song. I am only a little ashamed to admit that I laughed when he died (how unoriginal, you know? Why not try sticking around and making some more music?) while the rest of campus went into deep mourning. Which consisted of smoking an extra joint that day and weeping a little. :rolleyes:

Actually, the three girls in the apartment across the hall from me went into deep, loud, hysterical weeping. I was embarrassed for them.

When Kurt Cobain died, I was in charge of watching two little boys, about 9 and 10 years old. They were devastated, and just kept asking "why?" "why?" I took them out to lunch to try to explain why someone rich, talented, handsome and famous would blow his head off. It was very, very difficult, and I don't think I gave them a good enough answer. A fatal case of weldschmertz is a surprisigly difficult concept for a pre-teen.

The saddest thing is that one of the boys' fathers was terminally ill himself, and died just a few weeks later. I didn't care much for Kurt Cobain, but I felt so terrible for this boy who was about to lose his father. Damn it, fame comes with responsibilities, and one of them is not offing yourself in such a violent, graphic way. :mad:

I hate Kurt Cobain.

I don't hate him. He's one of the fascinating people in music history because he basically hated the wild, mostly manufactured hysteria that ballooned around his band-- and his life-- after "Nevermind" hit it big. Seeing the situation as clearly as he did made him want to get out. I don't admire suicide as a way of exiting a bad situation-- he should have vanished to hide out in Buenos Aires, like Elvis-- but I do admire his honesty in rejecting the trappings of fame. Hanging around for years following Nirvana's early success might've turned him into Michael Jackson or even worse, Kirk Cameron. Like I said, I wished he hadn't offed himself, but I admire him nonetheless. In a strange way, although I'm sure he continued to believe in his own music, he despised the "movement" Nirvana unwittingly started as much as many hostile observers did. I'll bet if any rabid Nirvana-haters had cornered him in '93 or '94 and started blasting them as insanely annoying media inventions, he'd have nodded his head and agreed. You can't say that about many people in the history of pop music.

Nirvana's music I can do without. Love the bass player though.

Last edited:
I don't hate him. He's one of the fascinating people in music history because he basically hated the wild, mostly manufactured hysteria that ballooned around his band-- and his life-- after "Nevermind" hit it big. Seeing the situation as clearly as he did made him want to get out. I don't admire suicide as a way of exiting a bad situation-- he should have vanished to hide out in Buenos Aires, like Elvis-- but I do admire his honesty in rejecting the trappings of fame. Hanging around for years following Nirvana's early success might've turned him into Michael Jackson or even worse, Kirk Cameron. Like I said, I wished he hadn't offed himself, but I admire him nonetheless. In a strange way, although I'm sure he continued to believe in his own music, he despised the "movement" Nirvana unwittingly started as much as many hostile observers did. I'll bet if any rabid Nirvana-haters had cornered him in '93 or '94 and started blasting them as insanely annoying media inventions, he'd have nodded his head and agreed. You can't say that about many people in the history of pop music.

Nirvana's music I can do without. Love the bass player though.

Kirk Cameron? The one who is now a Christian motivational speaker? How could Cobain possibly get to that point?

He wimped out in a bad way. He couldn't find a way to continue to make art despite his popularity? Why not? One big gasp of protest isn't enough when it's topped off by the futility of suicide. I never heard him say anything interesting, and then he was gone.

And I hate his voice. And I hated the music. And I hated the way the music industry seized on grunge as a way to co-opt alternative and blend it with hard rock so it would sell better. That part wasn't Cobain's fault, of course. But loudly and messily exiting the scene was a useless and stupid way of avoiding the problem.

Besides, would you want Courtney Love raising your kid?

A fatal case of weldschmertz is a surprisigly difficult concept for a pre-teen.

Sorry, but what is weldschmertz? My online translator has no answers either. Is it something about pain? It's said that the Germans have as many words for pain and unease as the Eskimos do for snow [just kidding - my grandma was from Germany, don't be offended!]

I loved Cobain, and that impression would have been amusing at a soundcheck, but doing a piss-take vocal for a whole tv performance? I would have shook him sideways if I was his manager or band member. Hell, even as an audience member I would have been offended. Oh, you kids with your punk rock...

Sorry, but what is weldschmertz? My online translator has no answers either. Is it something about pain? It's said that the Germans have as many words for pain and unease as the Eskimos do for snow [just kidding - my grandma was from Germany, don't be offended!]

I loved Cobain, and that impression would have been amusing at a soundcheck, but doing a piss-take vocal for a whole tv performance? I would have shook him sideways if I was his manager or band member. Hell, even as an audience member I would have been offended. Oh, you kids with your punk rock...

I think she meant Waldschmerz. That's when you're running through the trees and you get thwacked in the face with a branch. :D

Nirvana was not punk rock! Actually, maybe they make more sense if you reframe them as punk. Is that what they were going for? I'll try it.

They did use the term themselves, as did Courtney Love and that Sonic Youth film (which features support band Nirvana) in "1991: The Year that Punk Broke"

The thing I loved about Kurt was his songwriting - not so much his lyrics, but his pop/melodic sensibilities wedded with heavy guitar 'n drums. He loved the Beatles as well as Aerosmith and Black Sabbath, and it showed in his songs. "Nevermind" was one of those rare albums that is great as a whole, there are no duff tracks, no filler.

Preggers, have you ever seen Nirvana's "Unplugged" performance? If so, that didn't convert you?!

They did use the term themselves, as did Courtney Love and that Sonic Youth film (which features support band Nirvana) in "1991: The Year that Punk Broke"

The thing I loved about Kurt was his songwriting - not so much his lyrics, but his pop/melodic sensibilities wedded with heavy guitar 'n drums. He loved the Beatles as well as Aerosmith and Black Sabbath, and it showed in his songs. "Nevermind" was one of those rare albums that is great as a whole, there are no duff tracks, no filler.

Preggers, have you ever seen Nirvana's "Unplugged" performance? If so, that didn't convert you?!

Lord, no. (And yes, I probably watched the original airing, I'm that old.) I was more moved by Eric Clapton's. I just never liked him. Hate his voice. Sorry. I can't stand Billy Corgan, either.

I also never liked Aerosmith or Black Sabbath, so maybe I'm just shopping in the wrong aisle.

Both of these clips of the Lemonheads and Kobain made me smile. Just the sheer audaciousness (don't know any fancy german words) of being in front of an audience doing your best Morrissey is so outrageous to me.

Whether they meant it in tribute or mockery, I think it can be agreed that the Smiths appearence on TOTP is so legendary and iconic, I'm shock that it isn't attemped more often.

Both of these clips of the Lemonheads and Kobain made me smile. Just the sheer audaciousness (don't know any fancy german words) of being in front of an audience doing your best Morrissey is so outrageous to me.

Whether they meant it in tribute or mockery, I think it can be agreed that the Smiths appearence on TOTP is so legendary and iconic, I'm shock that it isn't attemped more often.

Cobain said it was a tribute when asked about it.

Cobain said it was a tribute when asked about it.

Indeed. He didn't have to do it but I'm glad he did, although watching this video reminded me about what Courtney Love once said about Kurt in that what lead to his downfall was he didn't have "rock star ego" and he needed it, if only to protect himself and be himself, fuzzy green sweater and all.

He is truly missed by me.

PS: The winner of the Morrissey-is-me sound-alike contest is Evan Dando, but just slightly.

Last edited:
You have got to be "a royal wanker" to say i laughed when cobain died. Fair enough If it was Bush or Thatcher or Nixon or Hitler but not a signer in a band that despite his troubles tried to say something truthful and pushed music forward (a tad) - what on earth would Radioheads second album sounded like with out nirvana?

The silly thing is I expect that statement isn't even true and that makes PregnantforTheLastTime EVEN more of a twit.

There was a time when I used to wonder why such simple minds with zero spiritual depth even listened to Morrissey. Through Browsing this site, I have alas become used to people of this ilk.
There are some good people on here who do get it, then there are life's well brought up know nothings

Last edited:
Morrissey said that he was "terribly jealous" when he heard Kurt Cobain committed suicide (for the career benefit you see, legendary status). Which is almost as insensitive as laughing. But I still dig SPM and Preggers :)

Last edited:
He is truly missed by me.

Me too. When he died I cried a little, withdrew more and smoked a lot. ;)
and now Pregs is making me weep a little inside. :(;)

I haven't seen this before, but I don't hear Morrissey at all. :confused: I think the similarities begin & end with the cardigan. ;) This sounds more like a cross of Peter Murphy and Jame "Buffalo Bill" Gumb. :p

Hello, hello, how low...not his register at all...and the audience's incessant clapping :rolleyes: I'm gonna go on the record as saying this is one Nirvana song I do not like. :thumb:

Sorry, went out to see "It Might Get Loud" which was incredible.

Anyway, Weldschmertz means "world pain," or that's the meaning I have always attributed to it. Where are all our Germans?

I was a punk, and as such I used to roll my eyes at Nirvana. However, I always gave Cobain credit for being able to express what seemed like genuine pain. He was an authentic talent, even if the grunge scene annoyed the hell out of me.

I guess weldschmertz is another word for existential angst, which made Cobain the artist that he was. Trying to explain to a child how beautiful pain can be when it guides you creatively, and how terrible it can be when it overwhelms you is almost impossible.

Nirvana "Unplugged" is still one of the most extraordinary musical performances I've seen on TV. It made a believer out of me.

Yes indeed, I do remember Morrissey saying something about Kurt now you say it.
The, thick fog of passing years (though not that many) suddenly lifts. I think when Morrissey said that he was just being truthful, death takes fame to the next stage ( insensitive is forgivable, trying to be shocking (ala PFTLT) is trite,boring and should be left with the always pitiful goth types.
Morrissey, used to get a bit drunk in his early solo days and tell whom ever was near by that if he died he would be the biggest cult ever- he's done quite well while living I think.
Death equalling legendary status has always been there in his mind, also he has a touch of the Catholic martyr syndrome.
I also, remember him saying something like he thought Nirvana were a bunch of hippies at first as he had never heard any of there stuff. Before saying he thought Kurt was quite brave to do what he did.

PS my original point was never really, who did the best impression. It was about the unoriginality of the singer (?) Mr Dildo

Back
Top Bottom