Music Obsessives Anonymous

CharlieFairhead

Loweringthetonesince1974
Unite and turn it up.
Hello, my name is Charlie Fairhead and I'm a musicolic, i always have been from a very early age..there has been no bigger influence on the way i think, feel and look.
A lot of others can take it or leave it but i certainly can't.
I'm sure my DNA would have a groove if anyone looked close enough.
I think Morrissey has pretty much said the same before.
Sorry if this sounds pretentious, it wasn't intentional.

Any more addicts out there?

"Music is like a drug, but there are no rehabilitation centres"

I like to think there are two types of people in the world: music people and non-music people. music has always influenced me from a very young age too. I think a combination of watching the Monkees as a kid and starting piano lessons at age 6 had alot to do with it. I'd venture to say the majority of Morrissey fans are music people.

Unite and turn it up.
Hello, my name is Charlie Fairhead and I'm a musicolic, i always have been from a very early age..there has been no bigger influence on the way i think, feel and look.

How did it start Charlie can you remember? I always had a thing for buying records getting on a bus going into town straight to a record shop spend a morning browsing sometimes or just picking up the latest object of desire and getting the bus back straight away. It was an event back in the bleak days. An event that ordering from amazon just can't match. Top of the pops led me to buy my first record one Saturday morning from Woolworths on Salford precinct. Gud bye t Jane by Slade, an adventure thats had me hooked ever since.:guitar:

"we started recreational, it ended kinda medical"

Its shaped my whole life, no exaggeration...

How did it start Charlie can you remember? I always had a thing for buying records getting on a bus going into town straight to a record shop spend a morning browsing sometimes or just picking up the latest object of desire and getting the bus back straight away. It was an event back in the bleak days. An event that ordering from amazon just can't match. Top of the pops led me to buy my first record one Saturday morning from Woolworths on Salford precinct. Gud bye t Jane by Slade, an adventure thats had me hooked ever since.:guitar:

Yeah it all started with my dads vinyl, i used to get the odd 'Now' compilation when i was really young. Then i started to sneak into my older brothers room when he was out and investigated his collection, he was a big John Peel fan at the time so it was a treasure trove of obscurities .
I then used to hit Woolworths, i generally saved up my dinner Money and got the latest Morrissey 12", from 'EILS' onwards. There was a nice lady who worked behind the counter and she'd put one away for me on release day, she'd expect my visit.
I did used to go home on the bus inspecting/smelling the vinyl in anticipation...haha sad.

*siiiiiiiiiigh*

Absolutely. Growing up I was always surrounded by music. Both my parents, but particularly my Dad, always had music on in the house rather than the TV, so at an early age I'd heard stuff ranging fro Dylan to early blues to Ska. As I grew into my own tastes it has, if anything, grown more important to me, eccompassing bad times, good times and the majority inbetween.

I am. I know this because:

I've decided against answering a call from a friend or relative because I NEEDED to listen to the Dears new album. Done it many times, with many people, for various CD's.

I Become agitated when a boring person is taking my ear off and I know I could be listening to music instead of them.

"Lost" CD's I found offensive, such as Hootie and the Blowfish and Phill Collins.

Hide my ipod, and if anyone asks to use it, I lie and tell them I can't find it.

Illegally:eek: downloaded music.

I listen to music at least 12 hours a day. I have no idea who John & Kate plus 8 are and am not up on current events. (unless it's music related)

I Would rather listen to music than sleep. (I suck at sleeping anyway)

My son always asks his friends if there is something wrong with their mom
because they don't listen to music.:lbf:

LOVE what Nats said "its shaped my whole life, no exaggeration..."

Yeah it all started with my dads vinyl, i used to get the odd 'Now' compilation when i was really young. Then i started to sneak into my older brothers room when he was out and investigated his collection, he was a big John Peel fan at the time so it was a treasure trove of obscurities .
I then used to hit Woolworths, i generally saved up my dinner Money and got the latest Morrissey 12", from 'EILS' onwards. There was a nice lady who worked behind the counter and she'd put one away for me on release day, she'd expect my visit.
I did used to go home on the bus inspecting/smelling the vinyl in anticipation...haha sad.

*siiiiiiiiiigh*

It's all about the vinyl man.

I would be, if the music recorded weren't so boring.

I met a girl and she told me she loved me.
I said, "You love me? Then love means you must like what I like.
My music is dynamite."
Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh woh woh woh.

Count me in! I don't last a day without some (new) music!
Any of you obsessives on the Rate Your Music-website? A great site where you can order and rate your entire record collection, and see yor firneds' too. Maybe we could create a Morrissey solo-group there.

http://rateyourmusic.com/

Yes. Although I've never had any desire to play any instrument I've always been glued to music.
I was once caught wagging a P.E lesson in Action Records in Preston by an English teacher. He didn't tell but did make a daily joke of my purchase of Klaus Nomi.

Well, let's see.

Used to play my parents' old and new records. Got my first record player at age six, when my parents happened to buy a new stereo and handed the old one down. Bought my first record the same year. Yes, it was by the Bellamy Brothers, but still.

Age 7-13, tuned in to the few decent music programs available on Norwegian or Swedish TV and radio in the late seventies/early eighties. Taped whatever I happened to like. Started making lists. Performed embarassing singback numbers of popular bands along with conscripted classmates at school events.

Age 13-15, discovered music in earnest, started buying UK music mags and listening to UK top 40 at Radio Luxembourg, discovered The Smiths and David Bowie, started dressing strange and writing music reviews for the school paper, fell out of favor among my contempraries in a rural Norwegian community in which Shakin' Stevens was what you listened to if you were up to date (Elvis if you weren't), had one friend - the only other guy who cared about music. Started making weekly lists. Occasionally went to Oslo to buy records. Attended my first gigs, chaperoned by dad. Painted copies of album covers by Japan and Bowie in art class. Pestered my compatriots by DJing at the local youth disco, excessively in accordance with my own tastes. Most of you can only imagine how quickly Japan's Nightporter can empty a dancefloor. I know.

Age 16-20, went to high school, got friends and saw music evolve into a key component of social intercourse. Stopped making lists. Developed dictatorial tendencies at parties, in which I felt it was my self-evident right to control the music. Well, I just cared more, didn't I ?

Adulthood, find that music is a significant part of many of my friendships (including a few that were formed, at least initially, because of music), still frankly feel that the ideal party is one where playing records occupy much of the center stage, married tolerant wife, play music as much as possible through the day and evening and...well, you get the picture.

If that qualifies, I'm one.

cheers

Well, let's see.

Used to play my parents' old and new records. Got my first record player at age six, when my parents happened to buy a new stereo and handed the old one down. Bought my first record the same year. Yes, it was by the Bellamy Brothers, but still.

Age 7-13, tuned in to the few decent music programs available on Norwegian or Swedish TV and radio in the late seventies/early eighties. Taped whatever I happened to like. Started making lists. Performed embarassing singback numbers of popular bands along with conscripted classmates at school events.

Age 13-15, discovered music in earnest, started buying UK music mags and listening to UK top 40 at Radio Luxembourg, discovered The Smiths and David Bowie, started dressing strange and writing music reviews for the school paper, fell out of favor among my contempraries in a rural Norwegian community in which Shakin' Stevens was what you listened to if you were up to date (Elvis if you weren't), had one friend - the only other guy who cared about music. Started making weekly lists. Occasionally went to Oslo to buy records. Attended my first gigs, chaperoned by dad. Painted copies of album covers by Japan and Bowie in art class. Pestered my compatriots by DJing at the local youth disco, excessively in accordance with my own tastes. Most of you can only imagine how quickly Japan's Nightporter can empty a dancefloor. I know.

Age 16-20, went to high school, got friends and saw music evolve into a key component of social intercourse. Stopped making lists. Developed dictatorial tendencies at parties, in which I felt it was my self-evident right to control the music. Well, I just cared more, didn't I ?

Adulthood, find that music is a significant part of many of my friendships (including a few that were formed, at least initially, because of music), still frankly feel that the ideal party is one where playing records occupy much of the center stage, married tolerant wife, play music as much as possible through the day and evening and...well, you get the picture.

If that qualifies, I'm one.

cheers

I LOVE THIS POST! :bow:
LOL @ the part I bolded, I always feel the same way. The person who cares
most controls the music, and that is ME!

My Dad had a decent collection of 45’s, everything from rock to jazz, but I always remembered the Motown and Gordy labels, and my Mother listened to 70’s AM radio pop mostly. Music was always played around the house and they no doubt influenced my taste at a young age. By 12, I was taping music from the radio using my Dad’s reel-to-reel tape player. Naturally, mix tapes followed at some point!

Sometimes I get self-absorbed, like at my kids’ sports practices for example, where all I want to do is listen to my ipod instead of talk to other people. Surely that's a sign of an addict?

Like Charlie stated, how I think, feel, and look has been influenced by music.

Loved what Qvist said about "married tolerant wife", except in my case husband!

And @ snowfallsoon's quote, “My son always asks his friends if there is something wrong with their mom because they don't listen to music.” Unfortunately my son would probably never admit as much to his friends. :o
He's not shown a big interest in music yet. Guitar Hero doesn't count, though I might have to settle for that for now.

What a fantastic thread.

Unite and turn it up.

Shucks. You would have been a nigh on perfect participant for the dissertation I've just completed Charlie.

Back
Top Bottom