Music Obsessives Anonymous

Hi, I'm Charlotte, and I'm a music obsessive. I've only become one in the past few years though, and I'm constantly looking for new stuff to add to my collection.

I definitely am. It's funny though, it didn't matter that much to me until I was about 11-12. Only my dad ever really played records, and I didn't like them (although I appreciate some of it now). That and top 40 pop was all I heard, so I thought I just didn't like music. Ashamed to say it now, but it was Green Day that changed everything for me. And then once I realised how good it could be* I was hooked. I'm a complete obsessive and geek now, over 27GB of music on my computer and more on vinyl. I rarely meet people who know more about the types of music I like than me. Not sure how many hours I clock up a day, but it's a lot...

*Obviously, retrospectively Green Day aren't very good. I never listen to them anymore. But when I was 11-12 and starting a new school and had no friends, got bullied and hated everyone, they meant a lot to me..

You've basically just described me. Apart from the vinyl. It was Green Day for me too, at about 12 or 13. :)

If you haven't seen it, I recommend WFMU's excellent free blog of obscure music and video:

http://blog.wfmu.org

... as it seems to be the closest electronic equivalent to searching through bins of dusty oddball used vinyl no one else wants.

Back
Top Bottom