Music Obsessives Anonymous

Yes. Although I've never had any desire to play any instrument I've always been glued to music.
I was once caught wagging a P.E lesson in Action Records in Preston by an English teacher. He didn't tell but did make a daily joke of my purchase of Klaus Nomi.

Oh Action Records, they metaphorically saved my life a few times long before the internet and being able to download deleted albums etc.

Shucks. You would have been a nigh on perfect participant for the dissertation I've just completed Charlie.

Was it based on mentalists?

Yes. Although I've never had any desire to play any instrument I've always been glued to music.
I was once caught wagging a P.E lesson in Action Records in Preston by an English teacher. He didn't tell but did make a daily joke of my purchase of Klaus Nomi.

Obviously he considered that the harsher punishment. Or perhaps he considered the Nomi purchase punishment by self-infliction. In any case, he was clearly a man of good judgment, and probably one who could have belonged to Charlie's club.

cheers

I offer up Charlie as president of this organization.

haha I hereby abolish fox hunting and introduce hunting The Kooks.

I'd be a shifty president, stumbling out of pubs at all hours...ones with decent jukeboxes mind.

Do you read Wire, Charlie?
Some of the bands featured in there are sublime.

Obsessive absolutely, but very hesitant to explore new bands!

I like to think there are two types of people in the world: music people and non-music people. music has always influenced me from a very young age too. I think a combination of watching the Monkees as a kid and starting piano lessons at age 6 had alot to do with it. I'd venture to say the majority of Morrissey fans are music people.
Seal_Of_Approval_I.jpg

also, I was just recently thinking about how different "love" must be for non music people, I mean for me, everything has a soundtrack :guitar:

I definitely am. It's funny though, it didn't matter that much to me until I was about 11-12. Only my dad ever really played records, and I didn't like them (although I appreciate some of it now). That and top 40 pop was all I heard, so I thought I just didn't like music. Ashamed to say it now, but it was Green Day that changed everything for me. And then once I realised how good it could be* I was hooked. I'm a complete obsessive and geek now, over 27GB of music on my computer and more on vinyl. I rarely meet people who know more about the types of music I like than me. Not sure how many hours I clock up a day, but it's a lot...

*Obviously, retrospectively Green Day aren't very good. I never listen to them anymore. But when I was 11-12 and starting a new school and had no friends, got bullied and hated everyone, they meant a lot to me..

I always had a thing for buying records getting on a bus going into town straight to a record shop spend a morning browsing sometimes. It was an event back in the bleak days.

That was me as well, here in Washington DC. Taking the bus to the subway from the start of the line in the state of Virginia to the other end in the state of Maryland, and then a mile walk to a used book and record store. Reading each cover to look for clues as to what it sounded like, paying $1 each. Or walking a mile from the subway to Tower Records to their meager and overpriced import selection, to see if such-and-such rumored rare album by the Fall or Cocteau Twins happened to be there, alas it never was.

Nowadays it's better and also worse at the same time. My mania for the new forces me to download gigabytes and gigabytes of unknown mp3s like "SXSW 2007" etc. I listen to each and every song, most of it being crap, until I realize I've spent weeks and weeks listening to crap and never listening to the good stuff I know I like.

Also, I can never find an mp3 player that meets my needs. My current one "only" holds 60GB, not enough for me, and it's held togther by a rubber band and buzzes with lack of grounding. But so many mp3 players nowadays don't come with 1) a graphic equalizer???? WTF? or 2) the ability to move, rename and delete mp3 files right from the mp3 player itself. It's the only way I can listen to mp3s and delete the ones I don't like. Also, so few mp3 players seem to let you copy the files over yourself manually like a USB drive, instead forcing you to use some godawful audio software like iTunes or WMP.

Last edited:
I am totally obsessed with music. It's just the background for my life. I don't really know how to explain it, it's just it makes me cry, laugh, happy, every emotion. It makes me feel things.

I have nothing to declare but my last.fm page. 11, 253 plays since Novmeber 26th 2009 and that doesn't count any vinyl played.

I'm one.

I've already decided that for my life I'm going to teach a history of modern music class, preferably British if possible at some university or community college I really don't care I just want others to learn about bands.

God, imagine if we were all at a party together....:lbf:

Haha I'm sure we could work something out....one controls the music,
the other one knocks down anyone who tries to interfere. Perfect!
Hey, we should ONLY go to parties together, now that I think of it.

I'm obsessed with music, I listen to it pretty much everyday, weird thing is though I don't like other people listening to the music I listen to for some reason and when I'm alone listening to music and someone walks in the door I turn it off. I've no idea why but I don't feel comfortable listening to my music around family, well except maybe my brother and sister I don't mind them hearing what I listen to.

I don't hide my ipod though and if anyone wanted to listen to it I would let them so I don't think the not listening to music around other people is to do with being ashamed of what I listen to cuz I would happily let anyone scroll through all the artists on my ipod and see what I like and I wouldn't mind them listening to it either if they put it on. Okay I know that makes me weird.

I don't listen to the same music as my mum and dad. My mother only really listens to the radio and she likes modern pop music but she also likes Rod Steewart, David Essex, The Rolling Stones which I don't like much.

My dad very rarely listens to music. He likes Queen and some Beatles stuff which I like but he also likes a lot of stuff that I don't like. So I would say I have my dad's taste mostly and just a little bit of my mums taste.

My sister has none of my parents taste she only like modern American bands like Green Day, 30 Seconds to Mars, etc.

Back
Top Bottom