New Statement from Morrissey on True To You

Je Suis Julie

allyouneedismorrissey.com
http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_090913_01

13 September 2009

Statement from Morrissey:

I am forced to defend myself - again - from a comment made by Andy Rourke last week on the eyeweekly website. It is a recurring comment whereby Andy confirms that his dismissal from the Smiths was made via a handwritten postcard from me telling Andy "you have left the Smiths."
I would like to state to anyone interested in the truth of this matter that no such postcard was ever written by me, and no dismissal postcard was ever placed on Andy's car with my knowledge or consent, and I am naturally irked that such an alleged deed has gone down in the fairy tale footnotes of Smiths lore. If such a postcard ever existed, it is likely that an unfunny stunt was played on Andy by someone attempting Morrissey-scrawl - easily done. Secondly, Andy's "dismissal" from the Smiths would not be a decision solely made by me, and would not be announced by me on a note bearing only my name, and it would also not be executed by a handwritten note carelessly thrown onto the hood of a car (or window-wipers, as has often been reported.)
Doesn't anyone have the wit to work this one out ?

MORRISSEY
13 september 2009

It's strange he feels so strongly about this. There's a lot of stuff over the years that have not elicited responses like this. I just find it, err, odd.

Peter

Oh God.. the fight is beginning.

Would legend be that Morrisey had written a postcard to throw Andy out?

He said, she said...

This is the oddest statement I can recall from Morrissey. Very specific! Why after all this time does he feel the need to defend himself in relation to his supposed dealings with Rourke?

Somethings hit a nerve?

20 + years later and these circumstances are still being discussed, odd.

That said he's probably just fed up of reading the same crap.
But in the grand scheme of things....

Proof that he reads solo?

It's unlikely that he would have read EyeWeekly without solo pointing it out. Just saying...

Dave

It's strange he feels so strongly about this. There's a lot of stuff over the years that have not elicited responses like this. I just find it, err, odd.

Peter

Maybe he's sick of always being made out to be so callous and yet such a "delicate flower" by ex-bandmates. :rolleyes:

I like the fact that he's finally publicly defending himself. :boxing:

Maybe he's sick of always being made out to be so callous and yet such a "delicate flower" by ex-bandmates. :rolleyes:

I like the fact that he's finally publicly defending himself. :boxing:

Personally speaking. I would be quite chuffed to read machiavellian accounts about my dealings with people I longer cared for? It would cheer me up on rainy afternoons!

20 + years later and these circumstances are still being discussed, odd.

That said he's probably just fed up of reading the same crap.
But in the grand scheme of things....

And 20 years passed them by and only now Moz'd be nervous about Andy' statement. I'm sure that someone is not telling the truth. but who is?

By the way, everybody knows that Andy was threw out because he was using heroin.

Don't most sources say that it was a 'post-it note' that was stuck to Andy's car? :p
Moz is just clarifying: it was definitely NOT a postcard. :lbf: :thumb:

clearly morrissey saw the photos of me and andy a few weeks ago and got very upset about this. Its ok moz I still love you more.

I started to doubt the story when it wasn't mentioned in the DVD "Inside The Smiths". It struck me it was a story that they can get away with when repeated in passing to journalists but they didn't dare tell it again in a DVD specifically released by them.

I seem to recall that Rourke himself admitted as much on the "Inside the Smiths" documentary that the often-told story of him finding a note on his window informing him that he was fired from the Smiths was bullshit, but somehow got blew up into this mythical story.

So, why is Morrissey making a big deal out of this? My theory is that he seems to be going through a myth-shattering phase, similiar to what John Lennon went through in the early 70s revealed in that now-legendary Rolling Stone interview. He seems to feel that now is as good a time as any to address these little stories. It's cathartic for his own purposes.

Interesting point; Lennon at the end became quite sentimental about being a Beatle. I personally don't see Morrissey ever becoming that sentimental about the Smiths.

Last edited:

Peter

I agree, no need for ranting about trivial stuff like that.

Possibly Morrissey's having a bad day?

Tags
echobabe team moz
Back
Top Bottom