The OFFICIAL Manchester United Thread

er, many thanks for the history lesson......I appreciate I didn't specifically mention it, but I was referring to goals scored this season:squiffy:

Jukebox Jury

Ya well after Wednesday THIS SEASONS tally will be up by a few goals. Not that City are a big club :eek:

Ya well after Wednesday THIS SEASONS tally will be up by a few goals. Not that City are a big club :eek:

We may not be a big club (in your eyes) but you keep on talking about us...especially your captain:thumb:
As for Wednesday, we'll wait and see about that.

By the way, how are Cork doing this season? (Did you know your home town has a football club too, that you can support?)

Jukebox Jury

By the way, how are Cork doing this season? (Did you know your home town has a football club too, that you can support?)

Jukebox Jury

Thanks for the geography lesson. I go too all the Cork City home games although the 2010 season hasn't started yet.

Sky Sports
Rooney sends Utd to Wembley

United striker bags injury-time goal to dispose of rivals City

Wayne Rooney headed home in second-half injury-time to book Manchester United's place in the Carling Cup final after they inflicted a 4-3 aggregate victory over bitter rivals Manchester City.

City went into the second leg at Old Trafford boasting a 2-1 lead and they looked good value for next month's showpiece after restricting United in the opening 45 minutes.

However, Paul Scholes was on target early in the second period to draw United level on aggregate before Michael Carrick handed the holders the edge as his strike clipped the post on its way into goal.

City, though, would not go down without a fight and former Red Devils forward Carlos Tevez restored parity overall as he angled in a classy effort that looked set to send the match to extra-time.

But two minutes into injury-time, Rooney, who earlier missed a golden opportunity to wrap up the game, headed in from close range to set up a clash with Aston Villa at Wembley on 28th February.

What a cracking atmosphere last night. For a moment, I thought we were back to the late 70's and 80's. :thumb:

Plenty of tickets on general sale, coupled with City having a decent team certainly helped the cause.

Rooney and Fletch were both immense.

Derby games have little to do with form.
They can throw up all sorts of results.
In this case the better team won over the two legs.I can't see the City fans taking too badly.After all they have had years of practice.
It was a case of City talking the talk.
But couldn't walk the walk.
Of course the next shout will be how they stop Man Utd from winning the league by winning at Eastlands.
Myself I think Chelsea are looking very strong.If Utd are going to do it this year they need to put a good string of results together.Taking at least a point at Arsenal will be a good start.I think 88 points might just be enough this year the way things have been going.
We shall see.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...nchester-City-chief-executive-Garry-Cook.html

Wayne Rooney's dramatic header didn't just seal a famous victory for Manchester United, it heaped further embarrassment on Manchester City Chief Executive Garry Cook who had, publicly, predicted United's demise in the Carling Cup.
Famously prone to a gaffe, the City executive has earned a reputation for using his feet, but where the likes of Carlos Tevez and Craig Bellamy use theirs on the pitch, he tends to spend time removing his from his mouth.
Here's some of Sportsmail's favourite Cook clangers …

Cook's (not so) magic ball On a recent visit to New York, Cook was addressing a group of City supporters and, oblivious to the watching cameras, stated that he believed the Eastlands club are on the way up, soon to overtake United.
He said: ‘[City will become] without doubt the biggest and best football club in the world.’ And that it was a case of, ‘Not if but when we are at Wembley having beaten Man United yet again.’
The 3-1 victory to United last night would suggest otherwise … on both counts.
Cook, the great judge of character Cook gladly accepted the job at City in June 2008 and the waiting media were, obviously, very curious to hear his views on the human rights record of owner and former Prime Minister of Thailand, Thaksin Shinawatra.
Once a Red, always a Blue: Former City owner Thaksin Shinawatra blazed a trail that was taken by Carlos Tevez - but he's great to play golf with

In a stunningly naïve reply, Cook said: ‘Is he a nice guy? Yes. Is he a great guy to play golf with? Yes. Whether he’s guilty of something over there, I can’t worry too much about....Morally, I feel comfortable in this environment.’
A year later he backtracked: ‘I have made some mistakes in my life, but I deeply regretted my failure to do proper research on Thaksin.’
Cook, the closet United fan? United in grief: Uwe Rosler and Garry Cook
With 700 people looking on at the Official Supporters Club 60th Anniversary dinner, Cook welcomed legendary striker Uwe Rosler on stage to say a few words.

The proud German - who netted 50 league goals for the club - was waiting to be inducted in the club’s Hall of Fame.
Cook then proceeded to introduce the guest of honour on stage with these words … ‘I’d like to welcome Uwe Rosler into the Manchester United Hall of Fame.’

You couldn’t make it up.

Too many Cooks Just as City embarked on a £200m spending spree last summer, Cook reiterated that Mark Hughes was the man for the job at City.

Getting shirty: Garry Cook gave Mark Hughes (left) assurances his job was safe - just before bringing in Roberto Mancini to replace him

He said: ‘We have a manager in place that we're very happy with. We have never talked to Jose Mourinho or anyone else.’
Hughes was replaced by Roberto Mancini after being sacked on December 19 – Happy Christmas.
Cook’s tough-talking Kaka? Na-na! The Brazilian turned his back on City
The world of football can be a ruthless cut-throat pace, the thing to do is not show any weakness, don’t let your opponents know you're rattled.
Oh, hang on, too late – the botched purchase of Kaka clearly got to Cook.
‘The player was clearly for sale.' He stated. ‘We had entered into a confidentiality agreement weeks ago but, in my personal opinion, Milan bottled it.'
Temper, temper.

:rofl:

In the do or die match against Arsenal we came up trumps with a devastating display of counter attacking and special mentions to Nani ( at last ) and to Wayne Rooney who scored his 100th Premier League goal in the 3-1 win over the Gunners.

To be fair the 3-1 scoreline somewhat flattered Arsenal who played as worse as I've seen them play all season, but as the old adage goes, 'you're only allowed to play as the opposition allows you to'.

United are still only 2 to 1 to win the Prem. which I think is pretty fair, as Chelsea don't look as if they are going to drop another point at the moment, unless city can spring a surprise at Stamford Bridge, where they have a terrible record. :mad:

Ahh well, United can only do their bit by keeping on winning and then, who knows? :cool:

No doubt all Man Utd fans will be happy that Hull City surprised everyone with a spirited performance last night and stopped Chelsea extending their lead at the top. Hull City were the best team in the first half and with a bit more class up front, could have even won it. I hope Utd win the title - you should have seen Chelsea whining, just because they couldn't handle the fact that City gave them a real battle.

No doubt all Man Utd fans will be happy that Hull City surprised everyone with a spirited performance last night and stopped Chelsea extending their lead at the top. Hull City were the best team in the first half and with a bit more class up front, could have even won it. I hope Utd win the title - you should have seen Chelsea whining, just because they couldn't handle the fact that City gave them a real battle.

Chelsea's equaliser seemed a little contentious, too.

What were Hull complaining about, that the whistle hadn't gone or that the FK should have been indirect?

I'm not so sure the free-kick should have been given in the first place, since advantage had been played & the ball fell to Lampard - who did take control of it initially and then went down and made a half-hearted appeal for a penalty. Either Lampard wasted the advantage by tripping over his own feet or he was taken down (by Gardner, was it?) and it should have been a penalty, because he certainly took the ball well enough.

The former scenario is, of course, what actually took place, but, either way, Chelsea shouldn't have been awarded a free-kick.

What's more, Chelsea were lucky (Ivanovic, in particular) to have completed the 90 with eleven men.

Awful refereeing throughout and it was only Chelsea who benefited.

Hopefully Hull will have a harder game on Saturday:thumb:

Jukebox Jury

I hope not, we badly need the points, but so do City for that 4th place.

City have a dodgey backline, hopefully Hunt and Zaki will do the business for ye.

And hopefully Arsenal do United a favour and batter Chelsea :)

Oh dear,assuming a win against Portsmouth.
Utd have played great in their last two matches.But experience tells no counting chickens is always the best policy.
Lets see what side he puts out.
We know what Alex is like sometimes.
I would much rather he put out a good side,destroy them in the first half,then rest players.I think we would still be in the FA cup if he had done that.

Tags
2-1 4-1 2-0 4-3 96 ftw champions city are shit fans/team=shite munich kyle stretfordrovers tevez is wank weloveleeds
Back
Top Bottom