Does Moz give you goosebumps?

I found a thread in the 2008 archive (I've been browsing that a lot recently) that I thought I would revive. So, what particular part/s of a Smiths/Moz solo song/s always gives you goosebumps- whether it's the lyrics, music or his voice?

As for me, it's so hard to choose, but these are tops for me:

1. The very first, whispered lines of Now My Heart is Full ("There's gonna be some trouble..."), as well as the build up to and climax of the first chorus especially. It's astounding really.
2. "Hear my voice in your head and think of me kindly" in Rubber Ring, the way he sings that line gives me chills every time.
3. ALL of Reel Around the Fountain. The melody, and the steadyness of the drums and guitar, is so simple but beautiful, as is the way he sings 'like a butterfly'.
4. Speedway- "All of the rumours keeping me grounded, I never said, I never said, that they were completely unfounded". Enough said.
5. Suffer Little Children is just heartbreaking in it's entirety.
6. The "oh-oh"-ing in WDDIM
7. Come Back To Camden is fantastic musically, lyrically and vocally. I especially love "And me and my heart, we knew...".

Too many to put into words really, but those would be the main ones.
How about everyone else? :)

Last edited:
All the time, really.

The opening lines of "The boy with...", partly for sentimental reasons. I remember so well hearing it for the first time, thinking, I don't know what this is, but it is IT.
Also TIALTNGO, especially the live version with the lads, actually.

And "Last night..." once again partly because of the the first time the i heard it. First the long intro and then...perfect music, perfect lyrics.

And also Speedway, when he sings "i'll always stay true to you". makes me think of friends.

To many to mention...:tears:

The yodelling on Headmaster Ritual

All of Hold On To Your Friends

The part on Why Dont You Find Out For Yourself "Dont rake up my mistakes, I know exactly what they are"

The "Please keep me in mind" wailing on Well I wonder

so many give me goosebumps\ neck hair standing up\shivers down the spine......many of the above already mentioned plus...oddly... first of the gang.".he stole all hearts away", playing Quarry in car at the mo and it always gets me! Meat is murder makes me cry and gets me angry at the same time, the intro with the saws and the cries of the cattle. xx

so many give me goosebumps\ neck hair standing up\shivers down the spine......many of the above already mentioned plus...oddly... first of the gang.".he stole all hearts away", playing Quarry in car at the mo and it always gets me! Meat is murder makes me cry and gets me angry at the same time, the intro with the saws and the cries of the cattle. xx

Again, yes. I think that was the song (and line, funnily enough) that originally made me fall in love with Morrissey's solo work. :thumb:

All of Hold On To Your Friends

The part on Why Dont You Find Out For Yourself "Dont rake up my mistakes, I know exactly what they are"

The "Please keep me in mind" wailing on Well I wonder

wow, yes. YES. those songs can just completely make me cry. hahaha

the entire Bona Drag album can give me chills too, because it was my first Moz record I ever owned, so it holds a special place for me.

Asleep... all of it.

Seasick, Yet Still Docked. again, the whole song! :p

Stretch Out & Wait...

"So stay on my arm, you little charmer... and I'll probably never see you again..." for some reason that part in Hand In Glove gets me.

the beginning of William, It Was Really Nothing! the music & his vocals are perfect!

"...well the pleasure, the priviledge is minnneee." on There Is A Light... right where he drops his voice with the bass on the word 'mine' in the first chorus makes me melt.

THIS IS TOO HARD I just want to name every song. :D hahaha

Many, many, many examples provide the shivers up the spine on a frequent basis, but the one that kills me every single time is the main guitar riff in 'Jack the Ripper'. I think it's just an extraordinarily simple yet beautiful line and it never fails to move me. But I don't know why, nor do I want to! :)

Back in the day ( I have mentioned this before on here...)
I used to work in Fords factory in Halewood, Merseyside, and had to take quite a Bit of "Stick" for being a Smiths fan....... ( I survived though....)
The Day I bought "Meat is Murder", I Recorded it onto a tape, to play on my Walkman later that Night in Work........I remember being asked to work on some Awful Job, and " I want the one I can't have" just STOPPED me in my Tracks......The Hairs on my neck and arms Rocketed skywards..... ( It's STILL a Brilliant tune!!!).
I grabbed the next person down the production Line....and FORCED him to listen....It had the same effect on him....
That's One of my Happier memories of that place.....

Many, many, many examples provide the shivers up the spine on a frequent basis, but the one that kills me every single time is the main guitar riff in 'Jack the Ripper'. I think it's just an extraordinarily simple yet beautiful line and it never fails to move me. But I don't know why, nor do I want to! :)

Jack The Ripper is definitely a goose-bump song for me, too. I prefer the live version on My Early Burglary Years, mainly because the way the opening guitar riff sounds.

Alsatian Cousin, especially when he says, "but on the desk is where I want you.." and pretty much the whole song. Seasick, yet still docked, it's a beautiful and haunting song. Sorrow will come in the end because I love his voice, and he's not really singing, but talking.

Hm...Others, I've changed my plea to guilty when the "because freedom is wasted on me..." comes up and the way his voice sounds at the last part of that sentence. Also, Life is a pigsty. I looove that song. The whole feel of the song, with the rain and thunder. Also when he says "life is a pigsty.." and the loud thump follows and near the end with the pleading like voice, "can you stop this pain?" Totally melts me.

Songs that still, after 20+ years, give me goosebumps...

The Hand that Rocks the Cradle
Suffer Little Children
There is a Light that Never Goes Out
That Joke isn't Funny Anymore
I Know it's Over
Well I Wonder
Half a Person
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

The 'yes yes yes yes' bit on 'Whatever happens I love you', really that whole song really. I agree about 'hear my voice in your head and think of me kindly', very eery.

Come Back To Camden gives goosebumps in particular. But most of his songs have the emotional quality to give you goosebumps

All my favourite Moz songs give me goosebumps, but the four that stand out are;

I Know It's Over- will always be my favourite, can bring me to tears if I'm not careful

Asleep- my jaw hit the floor when I first heard it

Last Night I Dreamt... - this is actually more to do with the music. Love the lyrics but it's the moment the intro stops and the song really begins that makes me shiver.

Trouble Loves Me- So console me/ Otherwise, hold me. It's a simple thing to say but it's such an earnest plea. :(

Back
Top Bottom