Does Moz give you goosebumps?

Come Back to Camden absolutely slays me.

"And here I am, every last inch of me is yours..." His voice here is stunning.

"your leg came to rest against mine, then you lounged with knees up and apart, and me and my heart... we knew"

I recently had a relationship turn sour. When she told me she wanted to end it, we were sitting on a couch, and her legs were exactly as described in that verse. When I first heard that song, it almost made me ill.

This was my thread, I recall making it ages ago. f***ing hate theifs.

Morrissey gives me goosebumps constantly and the best orgasms too. Especially if you look at a photo of him on your wall when you're with some other guy! :lbf::horny::D:D:D:D:D:D

I found a thread in the 2008 archive (I've been browsing that a lot recently) that I thought I would revive. So, what particular part/s of a Smiths/Moz solo song/s always gives you goosebumps- whether it's the lyrics, music or his voice?

As for me, it's so hard to choose, but these are tops for me:

1. The very first, whispered lines of Now My Heart is Full ("There's gonna be some trouble..."), as well as the build up to and climax of the first chorus especially. It's astounding really.
2. "Hear my voice in your head and think of me kindly" in Rubber Ring, the way he sings that line gives me chills every time.
3. ALL of Reel Around the Fountain. The melody, and the steadyness of the drums and guitar, is so simple but beautiful, as is the way he sings 'like a butterfly'.
4. Speedway- "All of the rumours keeping me grounded, I never said, I never said, that they were completely unfounded". Enough said.
5. Suffer Little Children is just heartbreaking in it's entirety.
6. The "oh-oh"-ing in WDDIM
7. Come Back To Camden is fantastic musically, lyrically and vocally. I especially love "And me and my heart, we knew...".

Too many to put into words really, but those would be the main ones.
How about everyone else? :)

"and here I am every last inch of me's yours forevermore" is a killer for me,and all of Nobody Loves Us,especially the pie- eyed ,and bog-eyed and cross-eyed bit.Too many to mention.And no,Im not cross-eyed.

Last edited:
My top goosebump-inducing moments would be:

"Still Ill" - a masterclass in the beauty of melancholy. With wit too. The way he sings "under the iron bridge we kissed / and although I ended up with sore lips..." is gorgeous. With Johnny Marr's guitar underpinning, it's even more beautiful.

"Back to the Old House" - Morrissey's sad, beautiful voice + a sad, beautiful melody + sad, beautiful lyrics + sad, beautiful Marr guitar = goosebumps

"Dear God Please Help Me" - I don't think he's got more personal. The level of honesty in the vocal is astounding. Pure emotion.

There are plenty more, but those three stand out.

My top goosebump-inducing moments would be:

"Still Ill" - a masterclass in the beauty of melancholy. With wit too. The way he sings "under the iron bridge we kissed / and although I ended up with sore lips..." is gorgeous. With Johnny Marr's guitar underpinning, it's even more beautiful.

"Back to the Old House" - Morrissey's sad, beautiful voice + a sad, beautiful melody + sad, beautiful lyrics + sad, beautiful Marr guitar = goosebumps

"Dear God Please Help Me" - I don't think he's got more personal. The level of honesty in the vocal is astounding. Pure emotion.

There are plenty more, but those three stand out.

Back to the Old House is a beautiful song
"when you cycled by, here began all my dreams." :tears:

I found a thread in the 2008 archive (I've been browsing that a lot recently) that I thought I would revive. So, what particular part/s of a Smiths/Moz solo song/s always gives you goosebumps- whether it's the lyrics, music or his voice?

As for me, it's so hard to choose, but these are tops for me:

1. The very first, whispered lines of Now My Heart is Full ("There's gonna be some trouble..."), as well as the build up to and climax of the first chorus especially. It's astounding really.
2. "Hear my voice in your head and think of me kindly" in Rubber Ring, the way he sings that line gives me chills every time.
3. ALL of Reel Around the Fountain. The melody, and the steadyness of the drums and guitar, is so simple but beautiful, as is the way he sings 'like a butterfly'.
4. Speedway- "All of the rumours keeping me grounded, I never said, I never said, that they were completely unfounded". Enough said.
5. Suffer Little Children is just heartbreaking in it's entirety.
6. The "oh-oh"-ing in WDDIM
7. Come Back To Camden is fantastic musically, lyrically and vocally. I especially love "And me and my heart, we knew...".

Too many to put into words really, but those would be the main ones.
How about everyone else? :)

How soon is now is probably number one for me...it's not my favourite but definitly the one that gives me most goosebumps!
I am the son
And the heir
Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar
I am the son and heir
Oh, of nothing in particular

Back to the Old House is a beautiful song
"when you cycled by, here began all my dreams." :tears:

Admit it darling, I give you goosebumps! And, I asked some friends, turns out, they actually think I look like Fenella Fielding, how uncanny isn't that?

I've Changed My Plea To Guilty:tears:

"Something I have learned
If there is one thing in life I've observed
It's that every body's got somebody
Ooh no, not me
So I've changed my plea to guilty
And reason and freedom is a waste
It's a lot like life"
:tears::tears:

Suffer Little Children (well obviously - but it's beautifully sung)

and for a different type of goosebumps (pure adrenaline)

Ganglord
The Loop

There is probably a portion of every song that gives me goosebumps but lately BIGTIME goosebumps at the howling Nooooooooooo, Noooooooooooooooo, Nononononono at the end of I'm OK By Myself.

No

Neither does he give me goose flesh, goose pimples, chill bumps, horripilation, piloerection, the pilomotor reflex or indeed anserina.

But I might shoot my load on his face...for a price...Only joking - I'm not into that shit!

Still no! - You guys are weird - I'm into Morrissey big time and have been for 27 years but, get a life honestly, you must. One day you will wake up and realise what a twathook you've been living your days through the messed up image that is Morrissey. You can't & shouldn't live to the beat of his drum. He f***ing hates drummers anyway - you know that. Never mind Joyce - the guy consumes them, just check out the recording credits on his solo work.

His music is great but there's more to life than Moz you know - much more. Goosebumps my arse - f***ing yanks.

"Yes" *and* "Daily".
The lyrics are amazing of themselves; personally, I find the timbre of his voice especially soothing.
Mozzah works better for me than Prozac, hot chocolate, or vodka and vicodin.

Pity, he has no idea :p

Morrissey's music has given me so many chills throughout the years - much more than any other artist.

Whatever Happens, I Love You - This whole song is INTENSE! Listening to this tune becomes a full body experience when played through high quality head phones at full volume.

The Edges Are No Longer Parallel - The finale to this song when Morrissey sings 'My only mistake is I'm HOPING! I'm HOPING! I'm HOPING!' is unbelievable. This song is a huge reason why I love Moz so much.

It's Not Your Birthday Anymore - The outro to this song never fails to send chills down my spine. Morrissey's best singing yet, I think.

If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me - This song especially gave me chills when I was relating it to an event in my own life. Morrissey's lyrics were sung with unparalleled emotion - 'If you don't want me, you don't have to have me. I just thought you felt the same, that all! That's all-----------!' :tears:

Hmmmm....oddly enough, three of the songs I mentioned were b-sides. Morrissey needs to stop burying his best tunes...

I've Changed My Plea To Guilty:tears:

"Something I have learned
If there is one thing in life I've observed
It's that every body's got somebody
Ooh no, not me
So I've changed my plea to guilty
And reason and freedom is a waste
It's a lot like life"
:tears::tears:

Suffer Little Children (well obviously - but it's beautifully sung)

and for a different type of goosebumps (pure adrenaline)

Ganglord
The Loop

'I've Changed My Plea to Guilty' is very goosebumpy, especially those lines. Ganglord gives me chills sometimes too (in a good way).

The Edges Are No Longer Parallel - The finale to this song when Morrissey sings 'My only mistake is I'm HOPING! I'm HOPING! I'm HOPING!' is unbelievable. This song is a huge reason why I love Moz so much.

It's Not Your Birthday Anymore - The outro to this song never fails to send chills down my spine. Morrissey's best singing yet, I think.

If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me - This song especially gave me chills when I was relating it to an event in my own life. Morrissey's lyrics were sung with unparalleled emotion - 'If you don't want me, you don't have to have me. I just thought you felt the same, that all! That's all-----------!' :tears:

Hmmmm....oddly enough, three of the songs I mentioned were b-sides. Morrissey needs to stop burying his best tunes...

Yes, all three of these. Especially INYBA- his singing is incredibly powerful on that track. Also, in 'We'll Let You Know':

"We're all smiles, then honest
I swear, it's the turnstiles
That make us hostile. Oh-oh...

And the songs we sing,
They're not supposed to mean a thing,
Oh-oh..."

'I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now' is one of my favourites musically on ROTT, and coupled with the lyrics I really love it.

"And my love
Is under the ground.
My one true love
Is under the ground".

The "NOOOO, NOOO, NOOOO!"-ing at the end of 'I'm OK By Myself' gets me too.

'This Is Not Your Country'. Again, chills throughout, but especially:

"We're old news
All's well
And thirty years could be a thousand
And this peugeot ad
Spins round in my head.
British soldier pointing a gun
And I'm only trying to post a letter.
A short walk home becomes a run,
And I'm scared, and I'm scared, I am scared"

Finally, from 'I Won't Share You':
"I'll see you sometime,
I'll see you somewhere".

I could go on forever really, but I'll stop there for now.

The 'yes yes yes yes' bit on 'Whatever happens I love you', really that whole song really. I agree about 'hear my voice in your head and think of me kindly', very eery.

I love that bit too; in fact the whole song has an incredible effect on me (though admittedly it's more prominent in the 'yes yes yes' bit).

A couple of others for me...

1. My dearest love - this is probably my #1 emotional Morrissey song. I can't quite find the mot juste to convey how incredibly moving that song is, but I suspect a lot of you already understand what I'm trying to say. :)

2. The hand that rocks the cradle - the whole song is just hauntingly beautiful, music and lyrics combined.

3. These things take time - the way he sings the line 'I know that I'm the most inept that ever stepped' always gives me a surge of emotion.

4. Nobody loves us - the choruses in particular, and particularly the last chorus. With the right (or perhaps wrong?) pre-existing mood, this song can easily bring me to tears.

5. Now my heart is full - same sort of feeling as above, particularly the last 1.5-2 minutes where it reaches a climax of sorts and then finally ends of that lingering, echoed note.

6. Jack the Ripper (live version from 'Beethoven was Deaf') - the whole thing gives me goosebumps, but especially the start of the chorus ("crash into my arms / I want you").

There's also a live version of 'Please please please let me get what I want' from a fairly recent concert that I found of Youtube once, and it was so incredibly moving...he was all choked up and actually had to step away from the mike for a moment. The depth of emotion in that song was just mind-blowing. Naturally I was bawling my eyes out by the end. :blushing:

Back
Top Bottom