New music suggestions?

Re: Re.. Stranglers

> The Stranglers were a big influence on me in those hazy days in the late
> 70's.. so, with respect Golden Brown is one of their most dull songs, not
> reprsentative of their sound at all.. get the early stuff.. (Get A ) Grip,
> Something better Change, 5 Minutes, Rockit To the Moon.. Hanging Around is
> a magnificent moment as well..

> And they were The ORIGINAL MenInBlack!

In the days of punk I always found The Stranglers to be the most genuine, lets face it there was a lot of posing in and amongst loads of great music. If a fight broke out at a Stranglers gig, they would rush anyone who went for them, well with the ecception of Hugh Cornwell who I would imagine saw himself beyond the petty violence of peasants.

They had loads of powerful tracks, such as Sometimes (great bass from JJ on that one, Go Buddy Go, anything of the No More Heroes album, and then you've got Black & White, my favourite album of theirs, with tracks like Curfew, Tank, and Death & Night & Blood. These are the defining tracks of the distinctive Stranglers sound, stuff like Golden Brown is just as good, but from The Raven to Aural Sculptrue, their last good album they become more musical and experimental than they were initially if that is possible. The album 'Feline' was a particularly brave album, but overall from 77 to 84 they never lost that distinctive sound, they just broke away from, as everyone else did, the punk that defined them.

Good little rant that, couldn't resist it, you won't see The Stranglers mentioned on here too often.

NOW - WHY DON'T YOU ALL GO GET SCREWED.

Re: Re.. Stranglers and THE BEST Song Intro EVER!

> In the days of punk I always found The Stranglers to be the most genuine,
> lets face it there was a lot of posing in and amongst loads of great
> music. If a fight broke out at a Stranglers gig, they would rush anyone
> who went for them, well with the ecception of Hugh Cornwell who I would
> imagine saw himself beyond the petty violence of peasants.

Yes.. As illustrated on the LIVE X CERT album.. when someone shouts 'W*nker' during an intro and they stop the song and want to find out who it is so they can 'have a word' with them. They question the audience, and Guess what.. the culprit stays dead quiet! Excellent.

> Good little rant that, couldn't resist it, you won't see The Stranglers
> mentioned on here too often.

And don't forget only a few weeks ago... 'No More Heroes' was voted unofficially by Tim Lovejoy on Londons only alternive radio station, XFM... the best INTRO EVER!! That bass is pretty pursuasive I must say!

> NOW - WHY DON'T YOU ALL GO GET SCREWED.

Screwing away right now mate. Come to Leeds on Friday next and we'll all have a English Moz Board drink up!

you too???

> you like Air Bizkit? shame!

hey! you didn`t use judging others by their musical tastes.

stick my fingers right up your nose...

Whatever did I do with my Rattus Novegicus l.p.?
Somethings never change, change, change.
Eh tham whar tha days.
Grim

Re: Re.. Best song intro from that era is Ruts, Babylons Burning

Back
Top Bottom