What is your favourite non Smiths/Morrissey song..

• Thread starter Question of the day
  • Start date
One of my favourites at the moment is "Don't worry about the government" by Talking Heads.
Every song off the latest Nick Lowe album is a belter.

Poses by Rufus Wainwright

Why? Well, listen to it and you'll understand.

> and why??

My all time favourite is "God" by John Lennon and I couldn't possibly tell you why. It just clicked the very first time I heard it.

> and why??

Is it really possible to answer this?

All I can say is at this moment it's The Red House Painters song Rollercoaster. It's beautiful, atmospheric and... it's sad.

what about...

...Rollercoaster Ride by Belle&Sebastian. Mmmmmmm.

> Is it really possible to answer this?

> All I can say is at this moment it's The Red House Painters song
> Rollercoaster. It's beautiful, atmospheric and... it's sad.

Re: what about...

> ...Rollercoaster Ride by Belle&Sebastian. Mmmmmmm.

Take Judy with her bow and arrow she's a mastermind too frumpy for the teenage population of her time...... Mmmmmmm definitely

For me it has to be.....

'Story of the Blues' by the Mighty Wah! because it picks me up when I'm down.

'Story of the Blues part II' expresses it all very literally. And purely by coincidence I found that the catalogue number is my initials. It was meant to be.

http://www.barker-household.freeserve.co.uk/lyrics/the_mighty_wah_story_of_the_blues.htm

wah.jpg

Well I'd have to say that it'd be a toss up between two Echo & The Bunnymen songs - Villiers Terrace (it has a very catchy tune) and more recently Rust (up there with ballads by The Smiths).

> and why??

Toad and the Wet Sproket's: All i Want

I can sing to it, cry to it, laugh to it, and it gives me those shivers you get when you really like a song. Maybe its a little mainstream but oh well what can ya do.

Re: TURN! TURN! TURN!

> and why??

My parents were hippies, it's not my fault. I love those junkies.

> Every song off the latest Nick Lowe album is a belter.

I liked his last 2 albums better. (Not enough bitterness on this one, I guess) but it's still great- cool, I thought I was the only one digging it.

Fave non Smniths/Moz song:

'This Woman's Work' by Kate Bush
'Unfinished Sympathy' - Massive Attack
Aikea Guinea - Cocteau Twins

> My parents were hippies, it's not my fault. I love those junkies.

best rap: "nothing but a "g" thang" snoop and dre
best madredeus song: "não muito distante"
best frank sinatra song: "(i don`t stand a) ghost of a chance"
best schuber lieder: the n. 16 of "die schöne müllerin" series
best bach aria: "erbarme dich", from st. mattaus passion
best numetal: "chop suey!", from system of a down
best rock: "zero", from smashing pumpkins
best beatles song: "all my life"
best brazilian music: "amor sem limite", from roberto carlos
best blues: "cany kitchen", with lightnin`hopkins and john lee hooker
best prog rock: "echoes", from pink floyd

sorry, but it`s difficult to make a comparison with these songs above that i like so much...

> Well I'd have to say that it'd be a toss up between two Echo & The
> Bunnymen songs - Villiers Terrace (it has a very catchy tune) and more
> recently Rust (up there with ballads by The Smiths).

Villiers Terrace by Echo & The Bunnymen is unbelievably catchy, I even had my own dance to it back in the day. I'd do my back in if I tried it now. Their first 2 albums are just great.

Lets see now my favourite non Smiths/Moz stuff could go on forever so I'll keep it down to 5 songs in no particular order:

* MAGAZINE - PARADE. One of the most unexpected album closers of the 'Real Life' LP that you will come accross.

* BILLY BRAGG - MILKMAN OF HUMAN KINDNESS. Any of the songs of the 'Lifes a Riot With Spy Vs Spy' album could have been turned into top selling singles like Kirsty MacColl did with 'New England' if they were done differently, but in the grand scheme of things it is probebly best that they are just left as they are with Billy and his wacky guitar sound that he was doing at the time.

* THE ONLY ONES - SOMEONE WHO CARES. Beautiful song, it's criminal that these lot never get namechecked with other late 70's bands. Peter Perrett wrote some wonderful songs, like Devoto and Weller, far too talented for the angst of punk.

* THE JAM - DOWN IN THE TUBESTATION AT MIDNIGHT. f***ing awesome track.

* PORTISHEAD - SOUR TIMES. Something more recent, the way Beth Gibbons sings 'nobody loves me it's true/not like you do' is a definate spine tingler.

Down in The Tube Station at Midnight is truly brilliant

> * THE JAM - DOWN IN THE TUBESTATION AT MIDNIGHT. f***ing awesome track.

I've been cutting alot of rug recently to this and 'Get Yourself Together' by The Small Faces. Certainly songs to warm those cold winters evenings.

Back
Top Bottom