Butcher Boy

Last edited:
I heard 1 track on radio2 and then when I saw the cover of the album decided to get a copy..I like it..

I love both albums. That's a nice write-up on them, I doubt I would have come across it so thanks for the link (in a roundabout way I found it!)
Anyone else spot the tribute to Vince Guaraldi on 2 songs? (to my ears anyway), I'd then read on their bio what a fan John Hunt is of Charlie Brown.

I love both albums. That's a nice write-up on them, I doubt I would have come across it so thanks for the link (in a roundabout way I found it!)
Anyone else spot the tribute to Vince Guaraldi on 2 songs? (to my ears anyway), I'd then read on their bio what a fan John Hunt is of Charlie Brown.

John is quoted as saying they were looking for a Vince Guaraldi feel on Clockwork, I haven't heard it in any of the others though.

I love the first album too but it was a grower. With this one the only song I wasn't sure about on first listen was Sunday Bells, only because it didn't seem to fit in, but it's now one of my favourites and a real foot stomper live.

John is quoted as saying they were looking for a Vince Guaraldi feel on Clockwork, I haven't heard it in any of the others though.

I love the first album too but it was a grower. With this one the only song I wasn't sure about on first listen was Sunday Bells, only because it didn't seem to fit in, but it's now one of my favourites and a real foot stomper live.

Yes, and listen also to 'Anything Other Than Kind' between verses, is the waltzing song 'Skate' from Charlie Brown.
So you've seen 'em live, lucky you. I've only enjoyed them live on youtube. :lbf:

Yes, and listen also to 'Anything Other Than Kind' between verses, is the waltzing song 'Skate' from Charlie Brown.

Yep I hear it now!

So you've seen 'em live, lucky you. I've only enjoyed them live on youtube. :lbf:

Yes I've been lucky to see them around a few venues in Glasgow, the last being the local bowling club. The Vinyl Villain Blog did a great review that will give you a flavour of that night, not that I'm wanting to rub it in.:) It's under February 23rd. http://thevinylvillain.blogspot.com/2009_02_01_archive.html The Vinyl Villain is also a big Moz fan and has a series of blogs called It's Friday, I'm in Love... which makes interesting reading.

Like vivabob I'm really looking forward to their next show in a couple of weeks and then I'm hoping to get down to Indietracks at the end of July.

(This must be the interview that contains the quote you were referring to, React or Die.)

Yes that's the interview HBR, but I saw it on the band's website. If you haven't visited it recently it's been updated and a lot of the nice words written about them over the last couple of years have been brought together.

Butcher Boy Website

"Frankly Charming"

The John Hunt fanzine that posed as a Morrissey fanzine!

I attended the Smiths convention in London that John organised with Hannah Bayman of "Miserable Lies" (who is now a television weather girl).

If memory serves Hunt was also the lunatic who jumped onto the stage from the balcony at the Glasgow Concert Hall in 1991.

He also ran the NPL in Glasgow...he might still do.

To these ears it's all a bit Glasgow mafia and indier than thou...not as original as Belle and Sebastian and not as beautiful as The Smiths, or should that be the other way around?

I'm not sure they are a band that anyone could really care about...not even the people in the band.

Kimura

"Frankly Charming"

The John Hunt fanzine that posed as a Morrissey fanzine!

I attended the Smiths convention in London that John organised with Hannah Bayman of "Miserable Lies" (who is now a television weather girl).

If memory serves Hunt was also the lunatic who jumped onto the stage from the balcony at the Glasgow Concert Hall in 1991.

He also ran the NPL in Glasgow...he might still do.

To these ears it's all a bit Glasgow mafia and indier than thou...not as original as Belle and Sebastian and not as beautiful as The Smiths, or should that be the other way around?

I'm not sure they are a band that anyone could really care about...not even the people in the band.

Kimura
http://www.bbc.co.uk/looknorthnecumbria/content/articles/2008/09/11/hannah_bayman_feature.shtml

i dont think john was the jumper .... im quite sure it was someone else

Last edited:
Just got th 2 Cd's and both excellent, now to track them down live ha ha

After a few listens I've decided that they're great. Really great. :) I'll have a root down the back of the sofa and see if I can get the first album at least.

I saw Cats on Fire play last week and they thanked Butcher Boy for all of their help and then covered one of their tunes... Im not sure of the song title though. I thought it was a really sweet gesture and Cats on Fire were great. Will be investing in some Butcher Boy soon.

John Hunt from butcher boy will be Djing here

launchposter2807-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom