Butcher Boy

It is both haunting and beautiful. I love the cello taking center stage.
It actually made my eyes water, especially seeing the kids play.

I see they'll be recording next summer!!

It's a funny old world.

John Hunt makes a couple of records designed to help him make friends with the people in various other "indier than thou" Glasgow bands like Camera Obscura and The Pastels and succeeds in convincing "real" people that these records are worth listening to as well as paying money for!

Just shows you.

Kimura

The Glasgow "scene" is hideously snobbish Charlie.

Lots and lots of men and women who talk, write and dress like children...seriously, just take a look at Steven Pastel, Stuart Murdoch and almost any other Glasgow scenester.

If I'm being totally honest I have a personal "beef" with John Hunt but that's another story...although I do have the earliest recordings of Butcher Boy on a CD entitled "Saint Stevie" which includes four songs; "Juicy Fruit", "When I'm Asleep", "Caliban" and "The Spines in Spain". I don't know if any of those feature on any "official" Butcher Boy releases but I have 'em.

Kimura

what snobbishness bands in glasgow help each other probably more so than any other city in the uk , john hunt is a lovely guy and has done loads for glasgows indie scene , his NPL nights have gone down in history and the little league nights continue this , if you have a beef your right this is not the place

personally i think react or die is an amazing album

I can well imagine, it's not the first time I've heard that.
I see a lot appear and help out on each others records...which is fine really.
Although didn't Arab Strap have some beef with Stuart Murdoch? There's a song in there somewhere.
I may well have imagined that feud mind.

Arab Strap were annoyed that Belle and Sebastian named their third album Boy With The Arab Strap - if my memory is correct (pushing 70 so who knows), it seemed Arab Strap thought it may have been done purposefully as a dig of some sort.

this is rubbish on the release of the boy with the arab strap , malcom middleton spent the day in a falkirk record shop window promoting the album

belle and sebastian gave arab strap early support , members of B&S play on both arab strap and solo album efforts by both malcolm and aiden

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom