Butcher Boy

It's a funny old world.

John Hunt makes a couple of records designed to help him make friends with the people in various other "indier than thou" Glasgow bands like Camera Obscura and The Pastels and succeeds in convincing "real" people that these records are worth listening to as well as paying money for!

Just shows you.

Kimura

React Or Die is indeed a cracking album, I wasn't too keen on it for the first few listens (it's got those stupid compressed drums like Tony Hoffer uses) but it's massively grown on me.

Also, am I allowed to feel superior for recognising the complete steal from Vince Guaraldi's 'Peppermint Patty' in Clockwork?

Last edited:
It's a funny old world.

John Hunt makes a couple of records designed to help him make friends with the people in various other "indier than thou" Glasgow bands like Camera Obscura and The Pastels and succeeds in convincing "real" people that these records are worth listening to as well as paying money for!

Just shows you.

Kimura

In actual fact the music does the talking...or should that be the singing?
I could well imagine there's quite a lot of snobbery in and around those bands you mentioned.
Good luck to him regardless.

In actual fact the music does the talking...or should that be the singing?
I could well imagine there's quite a lot of snobbery in and around those bands you mentioned.
Good luck to him regardless.

The Glasgow "scene" is hideously snobbish Charlie.

Lots and lots of men and women who talk, write and dress like children...seriously, just take a look at Steven Pastel, Stuart Murdoch and almost any other Glasgow scenester.

If I'm being totally honest I have a personal "beef" with John Hunt but that's another story...although I do have the earliest recordings of Butcher Boy on a CD entitled "Saint Stevie" which includes four songs; "Juicy Fruit", "When I'm Asleep", "Caliban" and "The Spines in Spain". I don't know if any of those feature on any "official" Butcher Boy releases but I have 'em.

Kimura

Lots and lots of men and women who talk, write and dress like children...seriously, just take a look at Steven Pastel, Stuart Murdoch and almost any other Glasgow scenester.
Kimura

I can well imagine, it's not the first time I've heard that.
I see a lot appear and help out on each others records...which is fine really.
Although didn't Arab Strap have some beef with Stuart Murdoch? There's a song in there somewhere.
I may well have imagined that feud mind.

I can well imagine, it's not the first time I've heard that.
I see a lot appear and help out on each others records...which is fine really.
Although didn't Arab Strap have some beef with Stuart Murdoch? There's a song in there somewhere.
I may well have imagined that feud mind.

Arab Strap were annoyed that Belle and Sebastian named their third album Boy With The Arab Strap - if my memory is correct (pushing 70 so who knows), it seemed Arab Strap thought it may have been done purposefully as a dig of some sort.

Arab Strap were annoyed that Belle and Sebastian named their third album Boy With The Arab Strap - if my memory is correct (pushing 70 so who knows), it seemed Arab Strap thought it may have been done purposefully as a dig of some sort.

Mmm something or nothing then, i thought Stuart had stolen all of their girlfriends ha.
Well regardless of any indie snobbery Glasgow has a rich tapestry of bands and my collection would be a lot worse off without them.
I've no interest in meeting any bands/artists, I'd ramble nonsense anyway.
Amen! x

Last edited:
I saw Cats on Fire play last week and they thanked Butcher Boy for all of their help and then covered one of their tunes... Im not sure of the song title though. I thought it was a really sweet gesture and Cats on Fire were great. Will be investing in some Butcher Boy soon.

I saw Butcher Boy and Cats on Fire at Indietracks a couple of days after that gig and they were both on great form. There are a few videos on YouTube, the Cats cover of Your Woman by White Town is well worth a listen.

btw I read on another forum that it was I Could Be In Love With Anyone that they covered in Glasgow. I'd have loved to have heard that.

Last edited:
I saw Butcher Boy and Cats on Fire at Indietracks a couple of days after that gig and they were both on great form. There are a few videos on YouTube, the Cats cover of Your Woman by White Town is well worth a listen.

btw I read on another forum that it was I Could Be In Love With Anyone that they covered in Glasgow. I'd have loved to have heard that.

Hey thank you for the song title and the heads up on the Your Woman cover - was meant to go to Indietracks but couldn't make it in the end:( Was consoled a bit when I found out Cats on Fire would be playing a show here. Smallest venue I've ever seen a gig in and however clumsy it was, had the opportunity to thank them at the end.

Mmm something or nothing then, i thought Stuart had stolen all of their girlfriends ha.
Well regardless of any indie snobbery Glasgow has a rich tapestry of bands and my collection would be a lot worse off without them.
I've no interest in meeting any bands/artists, I'd ramble nonsense anyway.
Amen! x

Ah you could be right there with the girlfriends bit, I just heard the other at some point. And ditto on Glasgow music :)

Last edited:

If I'm being totally honest I have a personal "beef" with John Hunt but that's another story...although I do have the earliest recordings of Butcher Boy on a CD entitled "Saint Stevie" which includes four songs; "Juicy Fruit", "When I'm Asleep", "Caliban" and "The Spines in Spain". I don't know if any of those feature on any "official" Butcher Boy releases but I have 'em.

Kimura

Really Kimura, if you so clearly do not like Butcher Boy as you've already expressed, why say you have a personal beef with a band member and continue to badmouth the band on this thread? Your opinion is respected, but come on!

Good Luck to Butcher Boy on the Shmercury Music prize! Although with Leisure Society and Camera Obscura also on that list...:confused:

I Know Who You Could Be is played over the closing scene of episode 14 of Moonlight, which is being shown on Virgin One this Monday.

Here's a lovely little festive film featuring a tune which may find its way onto their new album...Every Other Saturday

It's a really haunting piece of music that brings a lump to my throat every time I watch it.

Back
Top Bottom