Why do some people still call him Steven?

Scarlet Ibis

The Chicken of D.C.
When speaking of him or to him, why do some people insist on calling him "Steven" even though he has repeatedly stated that he does not like it at all?

If you are guilty of this, why? Why do you feel the need to call him by a name he hates? I really am curious. It doesn't make sense to me.

Mm. I've seen youtube videos of even recent concerts, where people in the audience yell out 'Steven', which just seems bizarre given what he has said about the name. If you ask me, it gives people an imagined sense of intimacy. Y'know, it makes them feel like they knew him first and they knew him well.
Didn't he say something similar himself? On Jonathan Ross, I think, I'm not sure. :confused:

Shouting it out at gigs could be related to the Adam & Joe Show 'Stephen' phenomenmon. A&J listeners shout 'Stephen' at public places, particularly gigs and others in earshot reply 'just coming!'...

Shouting it out at gigs could be related to the Adam & Joe Show 'Stephen' phenomenmon. A&J listeners shout 'Stephen' at public places, particularly gigs and others in earshot reply 'just coming!'...
I doubt it. This has been going on for yeeeaarrrrs.

At the moment i like to call him Sick note Steven, but i call him Steven because i want to and because it upsets rather sycophantic fans who have, it would seem nothing much to worry about. Except, if their favourite popstar is called by his first name or his second name on a fans website. :p

At the moment i like to call him Sick note Steven, but i call him Steven because i want to and because it upsets rather sycophantic fans who have, it would seem nothing much to worry about. Except, if their favourite popstar is called by his first name or his second name on a fans website. :p

There's that word again. It seems like any time one of his fans feels kindly or agreeable towards him, they are labeled a "sycophant" by someone else on solo. The word implies that we want something from him so we butter him up. Is it really so hard to believe that we just like and respect him and don't wish to irritate him with names he doesn't wish to be called?

I'm no sycophant. In fact, I have publicly criticized things he's said or done on a number of occasions. I really bristle when that word is so lightly thrown about. It's belittling.

And, cb, don't act like those of us who "worry about" Morrissey are any different than you. You're here every day talking about him and thinking about him along with the rest of us.

It is a bit sycophantic to get narked about that. Personally I feel you can never have enough pet names for Morrissey: Moz, Mozzer, Mozzles, Mogs, Mogsy, Dame Stephen of Mozfordshire etc etc.

I never call him Steven...seems a bit alien to me...but I do wonder if his Mum calls him it...and if he minds?

Love Alma xxx

I've wondered about that too! :blushing: I imagine the thought of calling your son by his surname is as alien to a mother as it would be for fans to call him Steven?

I've wondered about that too! :blushing: I imagine the thought of calling your son by his surname is as alien to a mother as it would be for fans to call him Steven?

I agree...I think she is probably the only person in the world who would get away with it unscathed...which is of course as it should be! :)

My son is called Dan and when people call him "Danny" it drives me crazy...but I do it all the time! One rule for everyone else...and another for Mummy! ;)

Love Alma xxx

Last edited:
Looking at your avatar I have to relate today's news that DiCaprio will play Sinatra in Scorsese's upcoming biopic. I like LD but think he's all wrong for it.

Hoping Morrissey makes a cameo appearance through his friendship with Nancy.

Because they are prats.

There's that word again. It seems like any time one of his fans feels kindly or agreeable towards him, they are labeled a "sycophant" by someone else on solo. The word implies that we want something from him so we butter him up.
but you want people to stop calling him steven:confused:

I bet his mummy calls him Steven ;) I doubt he reads here or my prattling on this site, if he is irritated by it, then RESULT!

Is it really so hard to believe that we just like and respect him and don't wish to irritate him with names he doesn't wish to be called?
"sycophant"

I'm no sycophant. In fact, I have publicly criticized things he's said or done on a number of occasions. I really bristle when that word is so lightly thrown about. It's belittling.
How dare YOU criticize Steven, when means so much to us….you jezebel, call yourself a fan?

And, cb, don't act like those of us who "worry about" Morrissey are any different than you. You're here every day talking about him and thinking about him along with the rest of us.

Other sites are blocked at work. sorry you’re stuck with me here….when I am at work that is. I do worry about steven, he gets ill a lot.

When speaking of him or to him, why do some people insist on calling him "Steven" even though he has repeatedly stated that he does not like it at all?

If you are guilty of this, why? Why do you feel the need to call him by a name he hates? I really am curious. It doesn't make sense to me.

Really, who honestly cares?
Morrissey used it himself in Ouija Board and Sister I'm A, so he's obviously not that bothered about it.
Guess people do it for comic effect sometimes. Sometimes, humour can be a good thing!

I don't think he hates his name.

I wonder if he's going to introduce his proported "special guest" tonight as Jonathan Marr? He should.

Tags
whofuckingcares
Back
Top Bottom