Why did Morrissey leave EMI/Parlophone?

butley

He obviously fell out with them at the end but it was pretty good while it lasted. The Southpaw Grammar/RCA period was painful to live through as a fan. That album and the whole promotion was a disaster. The record company obviously had no faith in it whatsoever and let it die.

His deal with EMI came to an end and RCA offered more money.

His deal with EMI came to an end and RCA offered more money.

Only when you consider 250,000$ THAT much money. I don't. I think it was a bad and stressful time for him PRIVATELY. People make bad desicions during such times.

Only when you consider 250,000$ THAT much money. I don't. I think it was a bad and stressful time for him PRIVATELY. People make bad desicions during such times.

I believe he also stated at one time or other that James O'Brien helped him negotiate the deal. And considering he was a personal friend and video director, haggling with a multinational recording conglomerate doesn't seem like the right skill-set to land a maximum advance.

It seems like he was more interested in the reactivation of the RCA logo, which allowed him to rub shoulders metaphysically with Elvis, Bowie, etc.

agreed, its not that much if that was the amount. i dont know as ive never cared to find out

In hindsight, it was obviously a MASSIVE mistake, but here is Morrissey talking about it from Q magazine in 1995. Frankly, it sounds like he just got bored:

Q: Why did you leave EMI?
M: Well, why indeed, seven years, seven albums... Terribly nice people. I've very good friends there but it seemed the thing to do. I realised that I was in the building so often that I was surprised they didn't give me a janitor's bucket. "Here comes old Mogsy; let's give him a few Angelic Upstarts eight by tens and he'll be happy." But there was nowhere else to go with EMI. It was enough time to know whether I was going to rule the planet or not. And I expect I won't.

You must remember this; as time goes by I'm of the firm opinion that every single word of every single interview Morrissey has ever given over three decades could be roundly ignored, save for this phrase to 'Q' magazine at the dawn of 1995 (freshly split from Manchester Square), when asked to list his most unpleasant characteristic ~

"Unlimited self-sabotage"​

Truer with time too...

You must remember this; as time goes by I'm of the firm opinion that every single word of every single interview Morrissey has ever given over three decades could be roundly ignored, save for this phrase to 'Q' magazine at the dawn of 1995 (freshly split from Manchester Square), when asked to list his most unpleasant characteristic ~

"Unlimited self-sabotage"​

Truer with time too...

Oh? Why are you here then?

Morrissey is better than Elvis Presley, better than Jesus Christ, better than Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde, Muhammed, the Dalai Lama, better than anyone you know or could name.

You, on the other hand? ...not so much.

Your firm opinion means absolutely and is definitively NOTHING. If anyone has any sense at all, they would ignore your jealous, sad and pathetic claims entirely and join the hope that you will die very soon so that you can stop polluting people with your inane, stupid opinions (along with most of the opinions that are shat here), that again, I must reiterate, mean nothing and are completely pointless. What gives you the audacity and the nerve to think you can even begin to speak Morrissey's name in a critical manner? I am absolutely convinced you are probably crippled. And rightfully so. Please do not post anymore.

Your firm opinion means absolutely and is definitively NOTHING. If anyone has any sense at all, they would ignore your jealous, sad and pathetic claims entirely and join the hope that you will die very soon so that you can stop polluting people with your inane, stupid opinions (along with most of the opinions that are shat here), that again, I must reiterate, mean nothing and are completely pointless.

Hang on, the guy is quoting your hero Morrissey, who has himself said on numerous occasions that he has self-destructive qualities. Anyone, even the most fervent Morrissey supporter, must admit that the guy seems to self-sabotage his own career on a *very* consistent basis. "I know what's expected of me now, veering cliffwards..."

Or are you calling Morrissey someone who has stupid opinions and who should 'die very soon'?

Oh? Why are you here then?

Morrissey is better than Elvis Presley, better than Jesus Christ, better than Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde, Muhammed, the Dalai Lama, better than anyone you know or could name.

You, on the other hand? ...not so much.

Your firm opinion means absolutely and is definitively NOTHING. If anyone has any sense at all, they would ignore your jealous, sad and pathetic claims entirely and join the hope that you will die very soon so that you can stop polluting people with your inane, stupid opinions (along with most of the opinions that are shat here), that again, I must reiterate, mean nothing and are completely pointless. What gives you the audacity and the nerve to think you can even begin to speak Morrissey's name in a critical manner? I am absolutely convinced you are probably crippled. And rightfully so. Please do not post anymore.

You sound very angry over this and I'm sorry this poster has upset you so. I'm sure you think your life is an example we could live by and be a benefit to all of us if we knew more about it. I think you have a really good question though. Why do they come here. I would like to hear your opinion on the issue. Maybe you can change someone with this insight about them. I do personally find I can not change anyone so rather than feel upset at who they are I just accept. I accept you so don't let them get under your skin. Because it show exactly when they do.

Hang on, the guy is quoting your hero Morrissey, who has himself said on numerous occasions that he has self-destructive qualities. Anyone, even the most fervent Morrissey supporter, must admit that the guy seems to self-sabotage his own career on a *very* consistent basis. "I know what's expected of me now, veering cliffwards..."

Or are you calling Morrissey someone who has stupid opinions and who should 'die very soon'?

Hey retard, Morrissey may have SAID THAT, but in fact, he is very successful and you know it and are jealous of him for it. So get over it.

- - - Updated - - -

You sound very angry over this and I'm sorry this poster has upset you so. I'm sure you think your life is an example we could live by and be a benefit to all of us if we knew more about it. I think you have a really good question though. Why do they come here. I would like to hear your opinion on the issue. Maybe you can change someone with this insight about them. I do personally find I can not change anyone so rather than feel upset at who they are I just accept. I accept you so don't let them get under your skin. Because it show exactly when they do.

Thank you for your words. They come here, perhaps, out of jealous or revenge or both. Most people here should be committed.

- - - Updated - - -

And just so you know, I've written why for me, so you know I don't state/ask with out me offering first.

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/entries/1772-I-m-just-passing-through-here

Seriously, dude, where the f*** did you come from?

Seriously, dude, where the f*** did you come from?

Your welcome. San Francisco Bay Area, I really enjoy it, it is very beautiful.

Your welcome. San Francisco Bay Area, I really enjoy it, it is very beautiful.

Yes, the Bay Area encapsulates a very large area, can you be more specific? I'm from there too. Were you born an raised there, can you give me a rough history, you just showed up out of nowhere on this website, claiming you followed Morrissey in the early 90s, why do you blue dot your face, do you frequent massage parlors? Enquiring minds want to know.

Back
Top Bottom