A recollection from Alain Whyte

I just stumbled across this on FB, and he should definitely write this book. Judging from his posts over there, he seems to be a really good guy ... and it would be interesting to hear the whole story from his point of view.

And I do agree with what he said about the lineup. I saw them in Berlin back in 1991 ... best Morrissey show ever!

Maybe it'd be enough with a good paid interview. I mean, Morrissey always was a good writer. Look at his lyrics. But... does the fact that he wrote a successful autobiography mean that all the people who were associated with him must write a book? I don't know. This isn't a criticism for musicians, it's obvious they do it for the money, not for the love of writing. The problem is the publishing industry, they will end up ruining everything as the executives of music industry already did. Then Coetzee, Murakami, DeLillo and Toni Morrison will form a band. They'll call it "Not Another GhostWriter" and will make a successful global gig.

Most interesting bit for me is the 'Tired and exhausted the years of good people coming and going took its tale. I guess I left for the same reasons as Johnny Marr.' quote.

I thought the general rumour was that he was pushed out rather than leaving of his own choosing.

Yes - I heard he was told it was his last gig before the show, hence why he was in tears at the time. I'm not sure why otherwise he would voluntarily leave at that point, just at the start of the touring cycle for the big comeback album he'd been working on for so long. But seeing as we've had nothing but rumours, and Alain has kept silent before, it is nice to hear something from the guy himself.

The whole post is revealing and pointy , he does not mention missing Boz ... I guess Boz doesn't miss him either.
It seems that lately every second or third Facebook post he publishes he writes something about Morrissey or the Smiths like if he was missing it very much or perhaps sending a message? But with this last one post it looks like he wants to state it is very difficult to work with Morrissey. Truth is Alain was an strong asset to the band.
Too many interpretations to his post

the woman beaters, whoops i mean the chris brown money must have run out. in auto he wasnt it said he left because of exhaustion but started to kinda act a bit weird towards the end telling moz that he knew who was plotting his downfall and all that. my guess is that he did leave for the same reason as johnny though how he would what johnny left for is beyond me as hes said all sorts of contrary statements and reasons but im guessing alain started to get offers to write for other pop acts and saw fame and money there and went. a move towards the center

raw

https://www.facebook.com/alain.whyte.3/posts/10207575895210511

"25 years ago today I played my first gig with Morrissey in Dublin, I thought we were crap when we first started but this gig at the Hammersmith Odeon proves me wrong. We had a great thing going. Gaz,Spencer, Boz and I embarked on a journey. Gaz, Spencer and I were in a band before we joined Moz. We were rough around the edges but we had so much energy. It was too bad this line up didn't last. I was not happy when Spen and Gaz were not on the Vauxhall and I record. I was not told until I arrived in the studio. Your Arsenal was better and Mick was the catalyst for making that record. Had he lived maybe Vauxhall would have been different. I don't know what it is about Dublin my first gig with Morrissey and it happened to be my last gig also. On June 23rd 2004 my last show was in Dublin. Tired and exhausted the years of good people coming and going took its tale. I guess I left for the same reasons as Johnny Marr. Like What Joe Strummer said when you have good cohesion with a band, don't mess with it. One day the story of how that line up happened will be told. Maybe one day I'll write a book."

I have said all along that Martin has a lot to answer for ! I would also like to add for the record that Silly Steven finds himself at Shit Central without a return ticket because of "Mart the back stab knifer "
In this historic week of truth, justice and accountability all I can say is please write the book Alain ! It's time that that truth was told !

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Oh Alain I hope you're being serious about lifting the lid on Tosserrey, it's only right and fair that we get the truth after all these years of CrankFraudism and cover ups. It's time the truth was told to the cult first hand from someone who's been on the inner circle of Silly Steven.
Working title ?
How about . . .. . .The wizard of Moz follow the Kerrygold road by Alain Whyte (my life on the Kerrygold road with Tosserrey).

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Posted by Alain Whyte / Facebook:
April 27, 2016

"25 years ago today I played my first gig with Morrissey in Dublin, I thought we were crap when we first started but this gig at the Hammersmith Odeon proves me wrong. We had a great thing going. Gaz,Spencer, Boz and I embarked on a journey. Gaz, Spencer and I were in a band before we joined Moz. We were rough around the edges but we had so much energy. It was too bad this line up didn't last. I was not happy when Spen and Gaz were not on the Vauxhall and I record. I was not told until I arrived in the studio. Your Arsenal was better and Mick was the catalyst for making that record. Had he lived maybe Vauxhall would have been different. I don't know what it is about Dublin my first gig with Morrissey and it happened to be my last gig also. On June 23rd 2004 my last show was in Dublin. Tired and exhausted the years of good people coming and going took its tale. I guess I left for the same reasons as Johnny Marr. Like What Joe Strummer said when you have good cohesion with a band, don't mess with it. One day the story of how that line up happened will be told. Maybe one day I'll write a book."

Last edited by a moderator:
has anyone got a link to jis facebook? i can't find it. and the link here doesn't work

Well Boz has lasted this long and he is a very nice person. Jesse, Gustavo,etc have been there a long time because they treat Morrissey with respect. Yes, Morrissey can be hard to deal with but he also has many many good things about him. Why can't ex band mates move on?

Well Boz has lasted this long and he is a very nice person. Jesse, Gustavo,etc have been there a long time because they treat Morrissey with respect. Yes, Morrissey can be hard to deal with but he also has many many good things about him. Why can't ex band mates move on?

because they no longer get attention. his book should be called still living off morrissey

Oh do f*** off

The thing is Vauxhall for me is far better than Your Arsenal, which is algo great, of course.

https://www.facebook.com/alain.whyte.3/posts/10207575895210511

I know Alain speaks very highly of Arsenal and Southpaw. Not surprising since he did write all (of nearly all) of the music for those two. I am a bit surprised at his comments regarding Vauxhall though; I thought the rhythm section of Jonny Bridgewood and Woodie Taylor were instrumental (pun intended) in helping to make that record what it was. Billy Budd also would have made a nice single over HOTYF and NMHIF; I suspect Alain wasn't pleased about Boz being responsible for a large chunk of the songwriting contributions on that album, although it's just my guess.

I just stumbled across this on FB, and he should definitely write this book. Judging from his posts over there, he seems to be a really good guy ... and it would be interesting to hear the whole story from his point of view.

And I do agree with what he said about the lineup. I saw them in Berlin back in 1991 ... best Morrissey show ever!

I completely agree with this. I always found Alain to be genuine and honest in his writings and interviews posted here. Him talking about losing good people within the band and getting tired of it resonates as true. I am not sure completely what went on behind the scenes but with the sheer number of changes that took place with the band over the years, I am sure it would be a juicy story and well worth reading.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom