Morrissey, the greatest writer ever

Poet

Banned
Could Morrissey be the greatest writer ever, and in fact, his career has only just begun? *cue The Carpenters song*

Could Morrissey be the greatest writer ever, and in fact, his career has only just begun? *cue The Carpenters song*

This could be an interesting discussion if you made an argument.

It's such a subjective statement because the word 'writer' is such a broad term. For me he is the greatest lyricist in the history of popular music. yes i know there are more lauded writers such as Dylan etc and I know there have been lyricists who have sold a lot more records and I know Morrissey had written his fair share of clunkers over the years but as Noel Gallagher once put it, 'whatever you put down in a lyric to define your love or hate for anyone he'll do it one better because he's the best lyricist that I've ever read.'

Of course it's simply an opinion and like an arsehole everyone's got one, but for ME he remains untouched as a lyricist. Yet equally there is a 13 year old girl out there that will tell you that the words of One Direction songs mean more than life itself. There is no right or wrong.

It's such a subjective statement because the word 'writer' is such a broad term. For me he is the greatest lyricist in the history of popular music. yes i know there are more lauded writers such as Dylan etc and I know there have been lyricists who have sold a lot more records and I know Morrissey had written his fair share of clunkers over the years but as Noel Gallagher once put it, 'whatever you put down in a lyric to define your love or hate for anyone he'll do it one better because he's the best lyricist that I've ever read.'

Of course it's simply an opinion and like an arsehole everyone's got one, but for ME he remains untouched as a lyricist. Yet equally there is a 13 year old girl out there that will tell you that the words of One Direction songs mean more than life itself. There is no right or wrong.

I like you, bhops. Well put. I believe he is better than Shakespeare and Oscar Wilde too, so...yeah.

I also think Morrissey solo bands, ALL OF THEM, were/are better than The Smiths. And I'm right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom