London Morrissey sites info

nightingale+therose

...brush me daddy-o
I'm going to London next week and have my copy of 'Panic On The Streets' by Phill Gatenby to guide me on my Moz trail.:thumb:
Just wondering if anyone has been to any of the places listed in the book recently, and found that they are not there anymore:eek:.... I'm planning to go to a few of the sites, but as the book is 5 years old, I just want to check they're still accessible and that the names/functions of buildings haven't changed.
I know The Rock Garden has closed, just wondering in particular if the Turks Head pub is still going as a community cafe and the old leaning post around the corner from the pub in Wapping is still there as want to go to both of them.

If anyone knows of any other changes - advise is much appreciated. :D
Thanks

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Re: Manchester musical history tour

if you look at the link dave gave you :
i f i remember corectly the first club where the smiths played (rock garden)are not there anymore
edit oh i see you are are aware of it
ps. beyond retro shop opposite repton boys club is great...

Last edited:
I'm going to London next week and have my copy of 'Panic On The Streets' by Phill Gatenby to guide me on my Moz trail.:thumb:
Just wondering if anyone has been to any of the places listed in the book recently, and found that they are not there anymore:eek:.... I'm planning to go to a few of the sites, but as the book is 5 years old, I just want to check they're still accessible and that the names/functions of buildings haven't changed.
I know The Rock Garden has closed, just wondering in particular if the Turks Head pub is still going as a community cafe and the old leaning post around the corner from the pub in Wapping is still there as want to go to both of them.

If anyone knows of any other changes - advise is much appreciated. :D
Thanks

Funny that saw this thread, and today i happened to find a bunch of old Morri'zines from 1992/1993. I scanned this page from one of them. I'm sure it's a lot of the same stuff that's in the book, but I thought I'd scan it anyways.
Moz Londn.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Oh, exciting! Let me know if you want to meet up for a drink. To be honest I haven't read the book since I've never manged to find it, or maybe I just haven't tried hard enough! I know that there is one shorter Moz-guide to London but I'm not sure if all the places that the shorter guide mentions are mentioned in the book.

Oh, exciting! Let me know if you want to meet up for a drink. To be honest I haven't read the book since I've never manged to find it, or maybe I just haven't tried hard enough! I know that there is one shorter Moz-guide to London but I'm not sure if all the places that the shorter guide mentions are mentioned in the book.

library then ? i just checked: the british library (kings cross) holds it.
well might not be the newest extended version but...its 2007

maybe some of the smaller Uk libraries holds them too
yous still in england but orginally from denmark? or was it sweden?
or if youre back home and preparing to return:
well the danish library in Kolding holds them too
http://bibliotek.dk/vis.php?origin=...fritekst&term1=&mat_text=""&mat_ccl=&term_mat[]=&field_sprog=&term_sprog[]=&field_aar=year_eq&term_aar[]=

i remember getting obsure morrissey books and also many obsure english books when i was living at the border to denmark in flensburg, as the danish libaries are all connected with each other and could order from there pretty fast.

dont know about sweden if its just the same there as in denmark.

Last edited:
library then ? i just checked: the british library (kings cross) holds it.
well might not be the newest extended version but...its 2007

maybe some of the smaller Uk libraries holds them too
yous still in england but orginally from denmark? or was it sweden?
or if youre back home and preparing to return:
well the danish library in Kolding holds them too
http://bibliotek.dk/vis.php?origin=...fritekst&term1=&mat_text=""&mat_ccl=&term_mat[]=&field_sprog=&term_sprog[]=&field_aar=year_eq&term_aar[]=

i remember getting obsure morrissey books and also many obsure english books when i was living at the border to denmark in flensburg, as the danish libaries are all connected with each other and could order from there pretty fast.

dont know about sweden if its just the same there as in denmark.

I don't think you can access british library at all if you're not a member and as far as I know it's really difficult to become a member.

I'm actually not from Denmark, I'm from sweden but I am living in London. It's a very big difference between sweden and denmark. Both us and the danes are very offended by the fact that The swedish chefon the Muppet show makes smørrebrød, which ofcourse is from denmark.

I don't think you can access british library at all if you're not a member and as far as I know it's really difficult to become a member.

I'm actually not from Denmark, I'm from sweden but I am living in London. It's a very big difference between sweden and denmark. Both us and the danes are very offended by the fact that The swedish chefon the Muppet show makes smørrebrød, which ofcourse is from denmark.
its actually pretty easy to become a member(and owner of a librarycard)in BL ..i dont even live there and still was able to get one very easy..and its free.
sorry i i couldn quite remember if your are from sweden or denmark..;)
i dont know why some ^ people had problems: i just did go to the register office there (also there at eutston road,ground floor if i remember correctly), put some details about me in the computer(which can alos be done at home online) ,then was photographed for the card and got the card the same day and could start my research the same day. the whole shebang didnt take long..maybe its diff for the reason i was there? i.e. tourist seaching for private research?

Last edited:

:lbf: Just go with it Jackie,youre a long time dead

You mean to tell me that when you're at home you don't walk around saying "A flee ga fla ga flow ga." ??? I'm so confuzd. :confused::D

just returned from my belated trip to London, did a few of the ''Panic On The Streets'' tour and was pleased that in Sloane Square, the Toni & Guy hairdressers is back open (Dave2006 said it had closed / temporarily). The Rock Garden, scene of The Smiths 1st London gig is now an Apple shop (love Apple, but a bit unhappy about this)! But the most disappointing place was going to Whitechapel for a pint in the Grave Maurice and discovering it is now a betting shop!! The pub name is still up in the tiles at the top of the building, so it lives on still in that capacity, Yay!. Oh, the Astoria venue, where half of ''Beethoven is deaf'' album was recorded was demolished a while ago for some daft train line thingy.....

[QUOTE=nightingale+therose;1986644773]just returned from my belated trip to London, did a few of the ''Panic On The Streets'' tour and was pleased that in Sloane Square, the Toni & Guy hairdressers is back open (Dave2006 said it had closed / temporarily). The Rock Garden, scene of The Smiths 1st London gig is now an Apple shop (love Apple, but a bit unhappy about this)! But the most disappointing place was going to Whitechapel for a pint in the Grave Maurice and discovering it is now a betting shop!! The pub name is still up in the tiles at the top of the building, so it lives on still in that capacity, Yay!. Oh, the Astoria venue, where half of ''Beethoven is deaf'' album was recorded was demolished a while ago for some daft train line thingy.....[/QUOTE]

Were they really busy?Werent you tempted to stick your head in the door and shout "Can you squeeze me in? And run away?

I'm relieved to find out the Toni and Guy has reopened. Phew.

Did you visit any of the sites mentioned in the old fanzine that might not have been in Phill's book?

Dave

I'm relieved to find out the Toni and Guy has reopened. Phew.

Did you visit any of the sites mentioned in the old fanzine that might not have been in Phill's book?

Dave

i am merely Phill's puppet, he advised me on where to go (via the book)... but for next time... i'll try some of the others

The last time Phill organised a walking trip of London there was some discussion about sites no longer being there.... http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/88339-Print-Out-And-Keep-Morrissey-Smiths-London-Guide

I did a brief trip last year and was disappointed to see that Tony & Guy were no longer (temporarily?) in Sloane Sq... so there was no longer any busy scissors / busy clippers :(

Dave

bumping the thread for those going to london.
the link leads to a lot of the morrissey- london related places

Back
Top Bottom