The Holiday (mostly Christmas) Thread

realitybites

making lemonade
You don't have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas. But you do have to be a complete recluse to escape it.

So you might as well embrace the good you can find. Post pics of decorations, your holiday tree, Main Street lit up, tacky sales or advertisements, songs, recipes, purchases, gifts received, jokes, poems, quotes... anything and everything to do with the imposing holiday season including Christmas, Chanukah, and Festivus.

There are many things I don't like about this holiday, but one thing I find beautiful--if done right--are the holiday lights. Last night the trees along the main street where I live where decorated with lights. I took a few pics. Here they are...

8224840069_700d1029ea_z.jpg

8224839421_65cdb25d40_z.jpg

You don't have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas. But you do have to be a complete recluse to escape it.

So you might as well embrace the good you can find. Post pics of decorations, your holiday tree, Main Street lit up, tacky sales or advertisements, songs, recipes, purchases, gifts received, jokes, poems, quotes... anything and everything to do with the imposing holiday season including Christmas, Chanukah, and Festivus.

There are many things I don't like about this holiday, but one thing I find beautiful--if done right--are the holiday lights. Last night the trees along the main street where I live where decorated with lights. I took a few pics. Here they are...

Those lights are enough to bring on a migraine! It must be like permanent daytime there!

The tackiest thing I ever saw was a fibre-optic nativity scene on sale at Leeds market.

Those lights are enough to bring on a migraine! It must be like permanent daytime there!

When I woke this morning, they were still on. There was a beautiful sunrise in the background with the mountains in the distance. It was an odd effect. Maybe I will be able to capture a picture of it tomorrow.

The tackiest thing I ever saw was a fibre-optic nativity scene on sale at Leeds market.

I HATE nativity scenes--all of them. Your find sounds particularly frightful!

When I woke this morning, they were still on. There was a beautiful sunrise in the background with the mountains in the distance. It was an odd effect. Maybe I will be able to capture a picture of it tomorrow.

I HATE nativity scenes--all of them. Your find sounds particularly frightful!

It was stunning. Everything flashed - the donkey's tail, baby Jesus's eyes...

The people who go there are even classier. It's a bit like The Hills Have Eyes Goes Shopping.

A house at the bottom of my street used to "Light up" every december for christmas, and have a collection box for donations for a local charity...It was absolutely beautiful, and thousands used to come to see it...one year, the Charity box was stolen, along with some of the illuminations......they don't do it anymore....:(

I captured the sunrise this morning along with those lights.

8250145476_dfda27ce22_z.jpg

8250145246_a35c6ed05f_z.jpg

And another... they added lights to the gazebo. There is a tree in the center but you can't see it in the pic.

It looks more like a Halloween decoration to me...

8250145082_ffdfa6cb4b_z.jpg

Great idea Reality bites!

I was going to start a thread where people could post pics of their home interior and that but this is just as good. Here's my kitchen window ahead of xmas.

Merry Xmas all Moz fans! (God Jul)

http://www.ladda-upp.se/bilder/zweletalysyxc/

---Urbanus

....and here is the tree that we managed to get complete today. Bought a new fake one this year as the theme is frost and gold. Santa under tree dances and shouts "merry xmas" and then plays the tune "Santa Claus is coming to town". It can scare the shit out of people as you can set it to a mode where it reacts to noises and starts.

I was pleased with a new invention of mine which was placing LED spotlights onto the middle of the tree to lit it up a bit more. Once again Merry Xmas all!

http://www.ladda-upp.se/bilder/ufanrvnczmqmq/

---Urbanus

....and here is the tree that we managed to get complete today. Bought a new fake one this year as the theme is frost and gold. Santa under tree dances and shouts "merry xmas" and then plays the tune "Santa Claus is coming to town". It can scare the shit out of people as you can set it to a mode where it reacts to noises and starts.

I was pleased with a new invention of mine which was placing LED spotlights onto the middle of the tree to lit it up a bit more. Once again Merry Xmas all!

http://www.ladda-upp.se/bilder/ufanrvnczmqmq/

---Urbanus

Very nice. :)

Very nice. :)

Thank you dear!

Just added some more pictures while I was at it today.

The backyard seen from my kitchen window with the landlords big xmas tree and the neighbours creativity:

http://www.ladda-upp.se/bilder/gwzantyxmbfglc/

IKEA xmas tree in corner of the kitchen:

http://www.ladda-upp.se/bilder/lzxdtimoshnpmt/

My living room after the makeover this fall and xmas things added as well plus the computer desktop theme on the big tv that is best described as Manchester United goes xmas:

http://www.ladda-upp.se/bilder/rooywomllpkbg/

Ho ho ho!

---Urbanus

Thank you dear!

Just added some more pictures while I was at it today.

The backyard seen from my kitchen window with the landlords big xmas tree and the neighbours creativity:

http://www.ladda-upp.se/bilder/gwzantyxmbfglc/

IKEA xmas tree in corner of the kitchen:

http://www.ladda-upp.se/bilder/lzxdtimoshnpmt/

My living room after the makeover this fall and xmas things added as well plus the computer desktop theme on the big tv that is best described as Manchester United goes xmas:

http://www.ladda-upp.se/bilder/rooywomllpkbg/

Ho ho ho!

---Urbanus

Love the Union Jack rug. Nice living room set up. Looks cozy. The IKEA tree is charming as well. Thanks for posting these.

Love the Union Jack rug. Nice living room set up. Looks cozy. The IKEA tree is charming as well. Thanks for posting these.

Thanks again dear!

I wish more soloists would post pictures of their homes all dolled up for xmas and I wonder what your home looks like as I expect that you are quite trendy. The only room that is not filled with xmas things is the cinema room/Manchester United museum where I keep the signed United shirts and the giant banner given to me by some local ex-hooligans.

I have yet to put up the two signed magazine covers that I framed with the holy grail being the one signed by Sir Alex himself. Signed shirts in order and who signed them:

Far left:

Peter Schmeichel the goal keeping Dane

Second from left:

David Beckham and Jaap Stam the giant dutchman

Third from left:

Paddy Crerand, Bobby Charlton (survivor from the 1958 Munich air disaster), Gary Neville, Jesper Blomqvist (swede who played for United)

Far right:

1985 shirt signed by Norman Whiteside who scored the winner in that years dramatic FA Cup Final at Wembley

This picture happened to get the number 68 on my computer and any United fan would see some sort of omen in that just like I left Stockholm airport at Gate 68 in May 1999 before the Champions League Final.

---Urbanus

Thanks again dear!

I wish more soloists would post pictures of their homes all dolled up for xmas and I wonder what your home looks like as I expect that you are quite trendy. The only room that is not filled with xmas things is the cinema room/Manchester United museum where I keep the signed United shirts and the giant banner given to me by some local ex-hooligans.

I have yet to put up the two signed magazine covers that I framed with the holy grail being the one signed by Sir Alex himself. Signed shirts in order and who signed them:

Far left:

Peter Schmeichel the goal keeping Dane

Second from left:

David Beckham and Jaap Stam the giant dutchman

Third from left:

Paddy Crerand, Bobby Charlton (survivor from the 1958 Munich air disaster), Gary Neville, Jesper Blomqvist (swede who played for United)

Far right:

1985 shirt signed by Norman Whiteside who scored the winner in that years dramatic FA Cup Final at Wembley

This picture happened to get the number 68 on my computer and any United fan would see some sort of omen in that just like I left Stockholm airport at Gate 68 in May 1999 before the Champions League Final.

---Urbanus

Wow, you have some nice stuff there. A super fan!

I have not decorated the inside of my flat yet. I'm not sure I am going to this year. All my decorations are offsite in storage at the moment. And last year I donated my artificial tree to charity. :(

I'm flattered that you think I might be trendy. Unfortunately I'm not.

I have not decorated the inside of my flat yet. I'm not sure I am going to this year. All my decorations are offsite in storage at the moment. And last year I donated my artificial tree to charity. :(

I have skipped the lot at xmas over the years but not often and almost did not bother with xmas this year but am glad I did now. Girlfriend made me have a rethink and as we know they rule :)

I feel sorry for your artificial tree but I guess it found a new home that loved it. I really thought you were the trendy type and maybe even had worked professionally with interior design or something like that. Goes to show we tend to make up what we think people are like. You are a woman so I am sure you have had lovely homes and soon will have a new one.

---Urbanus

I forgot the link to the bloody picture I was talking about with the signed shirt and the big heavy banner I got. Surprised you read that and still had a clue and a nice answer :)

Here is the link to the cinema room/Manchester United room wall:

http://www.ladda-upp.se/bilder/33476/

---Urbanus

Xmas is a pagan ritual and not christian. As it grew popular the christians and the church nicked this tradition and tried to make it look as if it was their own. Xmas has nothing at all to do with christianity. It is still quite weird to see and hear people believing that in this day and age when information is available to everyone.

DAZ

tumblr_meq3xdR4kn1qgn08oo1_500.gif

Back
Top Bottom