new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits review)

Maurice E

There's an incredibly vitriolic attack on Morrissey in the new Word magazine. Quite bizarre given the Moz-friendly status of the magazine.
They've let long-term, Moz-hating journalist, David Quantocks (whose based his career largely on slagging off Morrissey) review Greatest Hits and it's one of the nastiest reviews you will ever have read. A massive slag off of Moz and, in particular, his band.
Quantocks is a deeply unpleasant fellow, always has been. Quite why Word want to sever their relations with Morrissey in this way is a little hard to fathom...
I've always been openly critical of Moz when I think he's releasing substandard songs (That's How People Grow Up is, in my opinion, one of his worst ever singles) and Word has been my favourite music mag for a long time but I certainly won't be buying this issue and will think long and hard about buying future ones. Even tempted to email the editor... (http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/contact)

Last edited:
Re: new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits revi

Could you scan the article and post it here?

Re: new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits revi

This was bound to happen.
I was very surprised actually by all the positive reviews around so far, given the quite harsh criticism of the album around these parts.

Word have always been appreciative, so I cannot see one review is going to sever their relations with Moz for good.

I think Morrissey's beyond all this now and that's why people like Quantick are so vitriolic. They know there's nothing at all they can do about his popularity.

I wouldn't worry at all about this. It's funny.

that's no bad thing.

i'll buy an extra copy, to compensate.

Can you post scans of the article, please? :D

By asking him to write the review, they knew what they were getting.

Just don't buy it. I always read these things in my Library or scans on here anyway. Have a pint instead?

I don't read reviews so this doesn't interest me, I'd rather find out for myself. I think I know what I like better than some music journo from the Word or whatever it's called.

that's no bad thing.

i'll buy an extra copy, to compensate.

in that case, I'll nick one so they'll be two copies down.
ha! gotcha!

This was bound to happen.
I was very surprised actually by all the positive reviews around so far, given the quite harsh criticism of the album around these parts.

Word have always been appreciative, so I cannot see one review is going to sever their relations with Moz for good.

The reviews have pretty much all been 3/5 (except, err Heat!) agreeing with most of the comment round here (i.e. way too many inferior-quality recent songs included).
Word has been a really Moz-friendly mag so it's pretty bizarre that they've invited a renowned, long term, Moz-hating journalist to come and review the Greatest Hits.

kewpie, if i had a scanner, i'd be delighted to post mr. quantick's review in every thread on this site.

you could type it out & add your own amusing drawings/diagrams/flow charts to highlight the article? Maybe!

love

Grim

The reviews have pretty much all been 3/5 (except, err Heat!) agreeing with most of the comment round here (i.e. way too many inferior-quality recent songs included).
Word has been a really Moz-friendly mag so it's pretty bizarre that they've invited a renowned, long term, Moz-hating journalist to come and review the Greatest Hits.

Just curious - what did Heat mag say?

Just curious - what did Heat mag say?

Heat gave it 4/5. Very positive. 13 good songs out of 15.
I think Redondo was considered the worst song, can't remember the best (possibly 'Everyday'). They even gave THPGU a glowing review in the single section last week!

By asking him to write the review, they knew what they were getting.

Just don't buy it. I always read these things in my Library or scans on here anyway. Have a pint instead?

Why does the mag want that? Why would they let this troll review it? Whatev. :angry:
I'll have that beer instead. and a Twix ;)

And what kind of name is Quantocks/Quantick anyway... :confused:

Why does the mag want that? Why would they let this troll review it? Whatev. :angry:
I'll have that beer instead. and a Twix ;)

And what kind of name is Quantocks/Quantick anyway... :confused:

A lot of it's to do with "all pals together". A lot of these middle aged music journalists are all mates going back years. He probably rang them up and asked to review it so that he could get a few swipes in, and as they are mates they said yes.

I once tried to listen to one of Word's podcasts. It was one of the most excruciating things I've ever heard. A crowd of middle aged men giggling and screeching like teenagers. All very pleased with themselves and their own pathetic jokes. Not an intelligent or considered opinion between them.

There's an incredibly vitriolic attack on Morrissey in the new Word magazine. Quite bizarre given the Moz-friendly status of the magazine.
They've let long-term, Moz-hating journalist, David Quantocks (whose based his career largely on slagging off Morrissey) review Greatest Hits and it's one of the nastiest reviews you will ever have read. A massive slag off of Moz and, in particular, his band.
Quantocks is a hideous and vile little man, always has been. Quite why Word want to sever their relations with Morrissey in this way is a little hard to fathom...
I've always been openly critical of Moz when I think he's releasing substandard songs (That's How People Grow Up is, in my opinion, one of his worst ever singles) and Word has been my favourite music mag for a long time but I certainly won't be buying this issue and will think long and hard about buying future ones. Even tempted to email the editor... (http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/contact)

Email sent to Editor.

To be honest it's only as bad as the Observer getting Paul Morley to review ROTT a couple of years back. He was bound to give it five stars. I find with anything like this, books, albums, films, you dig a little into the reviewer's history and it either turns out that they're best mates with or sworn enemies of the author/artist anyway.

A lot of it's to do with "all pals together". A lot of these middle aged music journalists are all mates going back years. He probably rang them up and asked to review it so that he could get a few swipes in, and as they are mates they said yes.

I once tried to listen to one of Word's podcasts. It was one of the most excruciating things I've ever heard. A crowd of middle aged men giggling and screeching like teenagers. All very pleased with themselves and their own pathetic jokes. Not an intelligent or considered opinion between them.

Thanks for that insight. :)

Back
Top Bottom