Boz Boorer / Happy Martyr Dates

It's ridiculous that "Happy Martyr" have a record deal and Morrissey doesn't.

It's ridiculous that "Happy Martyr" have a record deal and Morrissey doesn't.
Agreed although I can't see Morrissey signing to floating world records somehow.

Listening to few Happy Martyr tracks, I think, informs the debate about Morrisseys musical contribution to his and his collaborators output. I've always had the feeling that Morrisseys input is much more than just the lyrics. Whilst I have no desire to disrespect the glorious Boz, this solo stuff, to my taste, is pretty grisly. It's his work with Morrissey that shines. Just like Marr and Street, I think their finest work was with Morrissey. His musical influence on the songs must be massive.

Can't find any info on Base Bar in Manchester.... Facebook page is more than a year out of date...

Must be a huge come down for Boz - from Hollywood Bowl to basement on Charles St - I wonder if he will be doing his own sound check or whether he retains the services of a roadie for such occasions :)

Dave

Can't find any info on Base Bar in Manchester.... Facebook page is more than a year out of date...

Must be a huge come down for Boz - from Hollywood Bowl to basement on Charles St - I wonder if he will be doing his own sound check or whether he retains the services of a roadie for such occasions :)

Dave

Is it really a comedown? Boz is only a session musician really - the Polecats never exactly scaled the heights of success. It's the same for Johnny Marr - who is a gun-for-hire no matter what he says :rolleyes: - having to play tiny club venues like the Night & Day, Deaf Institute etc. It's never going to be as easy for a guitarist to attract a crowd as it would be for the singer, and especially not when the outfit is as dreadful as Happy Martyr :lbf:. I think most of Morrissey's long-term collaborators absorb some of his personality/influences when they're working with him, so their musical output tends to be in sync with his tastes. Marr is the ultimate chameleon in that sense - he melds into a version of the singer in whichever group he's in and matches that style, which is why Electronic was dull and The Cribs stuff heinous :sick:

Thought they were playing the S&G?

Did anyone make it to these gigs?

I see in another thread that they were playing at the Star and Garter on Jan 27th, not Base bar as listed on the Happy Martyr's website.

Dave

Just been listening to a couple of their songs.
Rapping is not cuppa tea at all so I'm not gonna bother slagging it off.
However, the rhythm guitar sounds really nice - some great strumming and interesting chord changes.
It's a bit of a worry though. I think Morrissey needs the absolute cream of the Boz compositions to stand a chance of a decent album, and if Boz is handing stuff to the Martyr chap, that doesn't bode well.
Perhaps some of these backing tracks will end up as Morrissey songs, like Alain Whyte's previous versions did (e.g. Irish Blood).

"This Small Town" - New song from Happy Martyr

This was just uploaded yesterday to Youtube:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: "This Small Town" - New song from Happy Martyr

Don't get any better do they?

Ooh, a lovely bit of jangly guitar from Boz.
He's not given Morrissey anything that gorgeous for years.
Seems like a real waste to set it to a rap (regardless of whether the rap is any good).

Ooh, a lovely bit of jangly guitar from Boz.
He's not given Morrissey anything that gorgeous for years.
Seems like a real waste to set it to a rap (regardless of whether the rap is any good).

Got to agree - the guitar on this is great. The actual rapping is painful, but the music...interesting. Morrissey's band have been given a lot of flack lately for being dull/unimaginative, but perhaps he's pushing them to write three-chord "rockers" and that's why they're stuck in a rut at the minute. Who knows.

I often wonder what the sheet music looks like for this type of vocal melody

I actually feel quite sorry for this guy, and not because of the bad songs. His life just seems pretty shit and it's probably too late for him to do anything about it. I feel bad for him.

Back
Top Bottom