Main page/forum joined discussions and moderated unregistered posts

With the latest vBulletin upgrade I have made some changes in order to take advantage of the new feature in the software, the ability to keep promoted main page discussions as the forum thread it was original posted (previously, main page article comments are split from the same forum threads). The main change is allowing posts by anonymous / unregistered users in the forums, with moderator approval.

I realize this is going the other way against calls on the site/forums to get rid of anonymous comments and not everyone will be fond of the idea but I feel this adds more consistency and simplicity to the site as a whole. Turning on moderator approval for main page posts has greatly diminished the number of off-topic, troublemaking and personally abusive comments.

As always, the site is constantly changing, this may be one change that turns out to be not that noticeable. If, over the long term, it does not appear to work out I can revert it back to the previous setup.

Thanks as always to the contributors on the site and the mods for helping out with a lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff in keeping the site going.

UPDATE, Apr. 1, 8:18PM PT:

Hack added to the vBulletin software so that anonymous / unregistered users may be added to or removed from the ignore list.

Instructions to add (direct link):

1. Go to Settings (top of page) -> Edit Ignore list (left nav).
2. Add the user name 'Unregistered Users'.

Posts from anonymous / unregistered users will then be hidden.

Last edited:
Ironically, I think this is a really bad idea. Don't see what it adds to the site.

What it adds is moderation is now very easy for front page posts.

It used to be fairly cumbersome.

What it adds is moderation is now very easy for front page posts.

It used to be fairly cumbersome.

I don't really understand how it makes moderation of the front page easier, but fair enough. Won't it give moderators an awful lot more work to do, checking every anonymous post to see if it should be 'approved' or not?

I just find the idea bizarre really. Doesn't it make banning people who break the rules completely redundant? (Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be awkward - I'm just struggling to get my head around this!) :)

I don't really understand how it makes moderation of the front page easier, but fair enough. Won't it give moderators an awful lot more work to do, checking every anonymous post to see if it should be 'approved' or not?

I just find the idea bizarre really. Doesn't it make banning people who break the rules completely redundant? (Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be awkward - I'm just struggling to get my head around this!) :)

The main reason for the change is to enable the features so discussions are not split. For example, posting a comment on this main page article here also posts it in the forum thread it is linked to. This was not possible before. I wasn't planning to make any changes otherwise.

There is some extra work for the mods but it is not that hard to scan posts and approve them using the admin tools.

The main reason for the change is to enable the features so discussions are not split. For example, posting a comment on this main page article here also posts it in the forum thread it is linked to. This was not possible before. I wasn't planning to make any changes otherwise.

There is some extra work for the mods but it is not that hard to scan posts and approve them using the admin tools.

Thanks for the reply, davidt.

It changes the mood of the forum. :( Someone was just an anonymous dick to goinghome in the forum. I hate that.

It changes the mood of the forum. :( Someone was just an anonymous dick to goinghome in the forum. I hate that.

Hopefully goinghome is big enough to handle that one comment. I'd consider it borderline but didn't violate any rules. If they continue on with similar personal negativity the comments won't be approved.

Okay.

So as long as I keep my crazytiemz rants tucked away in their special place(or any topic for the sake of discussing how this works) and NOT as a mainpage comment, Anonymous trolls won't be able to take potshots at them? We'll only see Anonymous comments linked to mainpage article comments, right?

It's great to have the posts in front page linked to forums. However, I don't think it's good that unregistred users can post on forums. It will mess and make it easier to trolls break into forums.

It's great to have the posts in front page linked to forums. However, I don't think it's good that unregistred users can post on forums. It will mess and make it easier to trolls break into forums.

Well then Nancy, look like you'll be getting your own site. Till then however, keep your panties dry and run off to mummie.

OH No! Heavens to Betsy!! So your the expert on, anonomous dicks", eh?

Bravo!! Author!! Author! Some brave soul just stood up to this, "woman". It dishes it out , starts shite, then crys like a 2 year old when confronted. With 5 million post and counting, it wont shut up about the time of day. Fire away honey!

Way to go David!! Your basically a Free-Speach advocate. Thank God in Heaven, someone still is. We're the ones who posted in favor of your going to the S.D. show. My pal is a para-legal, with great connects. Just let the security trash remove you, with your paid for ticket and "Trouble Loves Me", becomes his nightmare come true. The legal rangle and paper work envolved will all be worth it when you've gained about 100,00GBP. They'll have to settle out of court and pay you a tidy sum, or have their passports suspended until they make restitution and compensation. Enjoy. Till then friend. Dish it out, git ready to rumble.

Absolutely. Your either for free-spaech, like the rule book says, or your not. Your constant big mouth sure can dish it out. But you can't take your own medicine honey.

Absolutely. Your either for free-spaech, like the rule book says, or your not. Your constant big mouth sure can dish it out. But you can't take your own medicine honey.

Lol! Sad.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom