Rolling Stone Readers' Poll - 10 Bands for the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame 2014, The Smiths #2

It's always nice to see the Smiths in a list, but boy-oh-boy is that a dull list. I'm sure six of the photos are actually of the same band.

I raise my hand for Cheap Trick . Bun E. Carlos (drummer) smoked like a locomotive during all concerts and videos ! First real big group I saw in concert. Held at the Richfield Coliseum near Cleveland (early 1980s). Rick Nielsen loves to dress outragious, almost to the point of being silly but man o man can he play guitar .

Readers' Poll: 10 Bands Who Should Enter the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2014 - Rolling Stone
Your picks include Chicago, Deep Purple and the Smiths

Excerpt:

2. The Smiths

Imagine the chaos that would erupt were the Smiths to ever get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It would make the Guns N' Roses situation seem like a bunch of hippies singing "Kumbaya" around a campfire. Many bands are able to put aside decades of hatred for one night, but the Smiths aren't one of those bands. Morrissey would probably write about 17 public letters about his loathing of the institution, and those will only be the ones before he learns they serve meat at the dinner. Needless to say, they deserve it more than just about any other group of the 1980s, but these are people who truly hate each other. Morrissey would rather eat a skinned elephant than share the stage with Mike Joyce ever again. Hopefully they get in soon so we can watch the beautiful drama unfold.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, the members of Kiss shouldn't even be allowed to pay for admission to get into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I can only think of two good songs that they put out, "C'mon and Love Me" and "Beth." Actually I have nothing against Ace Frehley or Peter Criss, but Gene Simmons truly sucks. Secondly, why aren't The Cure and Siouxsie & the Banshees on this list? There's no way Deep Purple or f***ing Kiss deserve consideration into The Hall over them. Thirdly, there are four tremendous artists on this list who should get voted in right away. They are The Smiths, The Moody Blues, Chicago, and Nirvana. I had the pleasure of seeing Chicago in concert last year and it was an outstanding show! They have four original members of the band still with them including their best lead vocalist Robert Lamm. And all three original members of the horn section are still with them and they're all dynamite! I know, in the grand scheme of things, it's really not too important who's inducted into The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I just think if you have one, you may as well present the very best the music world has to offer.

P.S. I'm glad Rush and Public Enemy got in this year. I know Public Enemy is a rap group but they've put out a lot of valuable music, and I'm glad they got in.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, the members of Kiss shouldn't even be allowed to pay for admission to get into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I can only think of two good songs that they put out, "C'mon and Love Me" and "Beth." Actually I have nothing against Ace Frehley or Peter Criss, but Gene Simmons truly sucks. Secondly, why aren't The Cure and Siouxsie & the Banshees on this list? There's no way Deep Purple or f***ing Kiss deserve consideration into The Hall over them. Thirdly, there are four tremendous artists on this list who should get voted in right away. They are The Smiths, The Moody Blues, Chicago, and Nirvana. I had the pleasure of seeing Chicago in concert last year and it was an outstanding show! They have four original members of the band still with them including their best lead vocalist Robert Lamm. And all three original members of the horn section are still with them and they're all dynamite! I know, in the grand scheme of things, it's really not too important who's inducted into The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I just think if you have one, you may as well present the very best the music world has to offer.

P.S. I'm glad Rush and Public Enemy got in this year. I know Public Enemy is a rap group but they've put out a lot of valuable music, and I'm glad they got in.

I have kind of a soft spot for Kiss since I was absolutely obsessed with them when I was...in 4th grade. They are terribly gimmicky and more of a brand than a band so they do represent a lot of what is terrible about the music industry. The unabashed use of song writers and studio musicians is what disappointed me the most when I found out. You don't write your own songs, you don't play on your own albums, what do you do? Gene Simmons is dreadful beyond belief, but his spitting of blood and breathing of fire was enough to make me overlook his character flaws at age 11. For better or for worse they have had a pretty profound cultural impact on music so I can see a case for including them.

A lot of the alternative bands--Smiths, Banshees, Cure--are probably never going to make it in. Rock n Roll Hall of fame is more about big stadium acts than artistically unique bands.

I don't think Morrissey would go. It would be a shame, though if he didn't.

Someone had asked him about the Smiths possibly being inducted into the hall of fame recently (I don't remember what interview) and Morrissey said he wouldn't be interested because "I'm not a Smith". I though that was both odd and typical.

Morrissey/Smiths fans don't give a shit about the rock n' roll hall of shame.

Eventually everyone that hasn't been explicitly blackballed from it will be included in it. It's embarrassing and has noting to do with Morrissey or the Smiths. The Sex Pistols instincts for dealing with the media would only be questioned by a fool.

I'm pretty sure he'd share the stage with Mike Joyce before eating an elephant. Hall of Fame is pointless. I hope they don't get inducted to avoid the drama. Acknowledgement is always nice, but it's pointless.

My friend works for the Grammy's, another institution that has all but ignored Morrissey. It's all rigged. People buy those awards, just like buying a star on the Hollywood walk of fame. There's more value in hearing a college radio station spin a B side randomly on a sunny afternoon then getting a Grammy or being inducted into the Hall of Fame, I'm not joking.

Personally I don't think Nirvana were a patch on the Pixies, it's like the copied the sound but left all the interesting stuff out.

I'm pretty sure he'd share the stage with Mike Joyce before eating an elephant. Hall of Fame is pointless. I hope they don't get inducted to avoid the drama. Acknowledgement is always nice, but it's pointless.

My friend works for the Grammy's, another institution that has all but ignored Morrissey. It's all rigged. People buy those awards, just like buying a star on the Hollywood walk of fame. There's more value in hearing a college radio station spin a B side randomly on a sunny afternoon then getting a Grammy or being inducted into the Hall of Fame, I'm not joking.

Yeah that's true. Excellent point.

Personally I don't think Nirvana were a patch on the Pixies, it's like the copied the sound but left all the interesting stuff out.

I Love both bands. I understand your point but don't agree with it entirely. I think there's lots of interesting stuff in Nirvana's music, but you're right, they did emulate the Pixies sound. The Pixies are rad!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom