Sam Esty Rayner interview at A Heart Is A Spade

Matt writes:

My brand new interview with Sam Esty Rayner (including a few Moz Qs):

A Heart Is A Spade Interview: Sam Esty Rayner - A Heart Is A Spade
By Matt | Published: September 14, 2015

Excerpt:

What kind of projects do you have on the horizon over the next few months?
More of the same and hopefully the Morrissey live concert videos I have taken will have an official release on DVD. Also, I hope to make a film of the upcoming Morrissey South America tour, which should be fascinating.

Last edited:
Well now this is going to play right into the hands of some people on this site. Ah well, might as well cue the shitstorm...

yes, hes going to have his terrible audience video taped on an iphone released on a dvd. with distorted audio.
he must mean his home made dvds.
as moz doesnt have a label to release cds i doubt there will be any volunteers to release home made iphone videos with distorted audio as dvds.

Well now this is going to play right into the hands of some people on this site. Ah well, might as well cue the shitstorm...

f*** the critics. I'm just excited to see more footage, especially the pre concert stuff. I love how everyone judges the footage as if they're supposed to be watching a professionally filmed concert. Do you guys actually think Sam is allowed to go on stage anywhere he likes and film from whatever angle he chooses? He's not a professional cinematographer. He's Morrissey's nephew with decent access to his unlce's shows. Just watch it and enjoy it. You're not film critics.

f*** the critics. I'm just excited to see more footage, especially the pre concert stuff. I love how everyone judges the footage as if they're supposed to be watching a professionally filmed concert. Do you guys actually think Sam is allowed to go on stage anywhere he likes and film from whatever angle he chooses? He's not a professional cinematographer. He's Morrissey's nephew with decent access to his unlce's shows. Just watch it and enjoy it. You're not film critics.

agreed. i like to see all sorts of angles both with the camera and the social aspect of it as well ie the viewpoint of someone related. maybe moz will open up more in front of family and well see a side we dont normally see

This lad is the biggest prick on planet earth !

Q :What types of cameras, lenses and lighting do you typically use and why?

Ryanair : I’ve never been too concerned with the technical side. There are libraries full of great photography books where a photographer has used the same camera and the same lense throughout their work.

In other words he's knows feck all about lenses n lights and prefers to use his mobile !

FFS ! Jackie tell him to come home and get a proper job he's gonna get slaughtered trying to pull stunts like this. I've never read an interview containing so much bullshit. That video KMaL was bobbins and that live footage he's just posted he must have filmed it lying down at the side of the stage on his mobile.

Come on Ryanair lad ! Do yourself a favour, go and get a proper job, be a man and stand on your own two feet, because let's face it Uncle Steven needs you like a reindeer needs a hat rack at the minute.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Actually, he seems to present himself as such without directly stating it. He's clearly learning on the job. He states he wants to release the footage on dvd, as well. Moz is to be commended on helping his nephew out, but it is we the fans that suffer being permitted to see less than what should be expected at this point in his career footage. If it's a matter of getting this or getting nothing, then of course we'll all be happy to receive it. Just let's not pretend it is something it is not. Sam has done some nice still work, but with the access he's given this stuff should be amazing. He also notes he's not overly concerned with the tools of his trade. It's pretty evident. I know this sounds harsh, but I am grateful to see it. I just don't think he should get a free pass as far as criticism goes.

He's not a professional cinematographer? No way! Had me fooled.

So according to you, we're not allowed to critique glorified bootlegs like Sam's because we are not professional critics, but Sam is allowed to present his footage as "film" and earmark it for official release even though he is not, by your own admission, a professional cinematographer.

Marred, you really are a stupid f***ing piece of shit.

there are tons and tons of dvd musical releases released by many a non professional with questionable sound and video and they fit fine next to professional ones. they just need to be billed as what they are. the with the lights out boxset of nirvana had many people clammering for home video and fan shot stuff of rehearsals from way before they had anything professional around them. im not gonna guess and judge before i know what vids he means but even if i dont like them i dont think ill be suffering any. i just wont buy it and itll be fine. i dont think moz will suffer either. hes given his nephew a chance and itll succeed or not on his own merit and wont hurt him a bit

Blood 4fooking hell Liam Ian Gallagher Brown, I hope Sammy doesn't get any audience shots of the crowd chopping cows heads off and then just starting to cook up the meat right there in the front row next to the guy holding the blue rose. Like I said before, everywhere from Mexico south to Antarctica is animal killing territory.

Sammy, just come back to the beach. I'll let you use my jet ski and I'll even buy you lunch at Geoffrey's. That Fondu is calling your name. Uncle Steve and Aunt Nancy will still let you live in the pool house. That bitch you are trying to impress with your video skills isn't even from Malibu, she is from the f***ing San Fernando Valley! Anonymous-

Last edited:
Rule no 1

Never employ family members. It always ends in tears.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

I'm not a Moz Slayer, marred, but if a planned official release means Sam and Morrissey expect people to pay for this footage, then yes, I do expect a professionally filmed concert and not a glorified smartphone video. The quality of a Moz-sanctioned DVD should be better than what's uploaded to YouTube by concert goers.

Sam really didn't need to explain he doesn't concern himself with the technical aspect of film production. It's obvious.

I'm not a Moz Slayer, marred, but if a planned official release means Sam and Morrissey expect people to pay for this footage, then yes, I do expect a professionally filmed concert and not a glorified smartphone video. The quality of a Moz-sanctioned DVD should be better than what's uploaded to YouTube by concert goers.

Sam really didn't need to explain he doesn't concern himself with the technical aspect of film production. It's obvious.

i think he expects people to decide if they wanna pay or not. if it doesnt meet expectations then we dont buy. it doesnt make me angry or feel slighted though as it seems pretty straightforward in describing what it is. if it was described as professional then id be mad. i probably wont buy it but still doesnt make me mad or super critical of someones attempt or i should say it doewnt make me super critical of the people. i just say i didnt like it and why and leave it at that. i for sure dont buy everything released under mozs name and still remain a huge fan of the man without feeling slighted by a release not meeting my standards

Well, he certainly doesn't have low self esteem.

Very funny quote at the end of the article:

"Look beyond the obvious. There’s no point taking a photograph that someone else has already taken. "

I've been to his website, he should take his own advice.

I think it is lovely Morrissey has his nephew around for S America shows. Obviously, Morrissey feels comfortable around Sam, maybe even Sam will interview him between shows and see Moz let his wall down.

moz, who wont go indie, because its beneath him and vulgar, is going to green light a dvd of homespun amateur video with atrocious audio.
who will put it out? what concern will put their money behind such a monster?
answer: nobody, it will probably be on sams fb page and he may sell downloads off there.

I think it is lovely Morrissey has his nephew around for S America shows. Obviously, Morrissey feels comfortable around Sam, maybe even Sam will interview him between shows and see Moz let his wall down.

yeah this is the best reason i can hope for having someone like sam to be doing this

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom