My 2 Cents re Mo-Solo's Negative Vibe

A

Anonymous

I know it probably has to do with davidt being a technical person and therefore it's not intentional,
but some articles deserve more prominence over others. For example, the Pixie Hixon cover is more
visible than Morrissey getting honored with the key to the city. I think positive things should get more
prominence, say have a bigger picture, than negative stuff.
Maybe a rating system, like Facebook's "like" button would help bring out some positivity (or maybe not).

I know we all have high standard and expectations when it comes to Morrissey and that's
why when something is not perfect or the way we imagine it or want it to be, we tend to focus on what is wrong.
We just want to see our boy happy and successful, but it's a bad thing to always look at the negative.
It wouldn't kill us to preface any constructive criticism with something positive.

I don't know why Morrissey does the same with ending every press release with "I have no record
contract". Surely he can say he got some offers or something.

Just my 2 cents.

Well, this could be a waaaaaay better site if there were some changes.

First:
Drop the "anonymous" posting feature. We all know how many "internet heroes" are out there and some of them are "trolling" the site. By deactivating that feature there would be less trolling and therefore one piece of the negativity is eliminated.

Second:
Post things about Rourke, Joyce and Marr in a seperate subforum. What is this? Morrissey-solo? OR Thesmiths.com? A subforum would be nice and there would be more structure. I don't want to read topics about Marr in the headforum.

Third:
Ban Trolls. Get Mods. GOOD mods. There are way too many negative people that are doing nothing more than ridiculing Morrissey and other posters. Where's the respect? I can't get over the fact that this is all tolerated by the mods? On other messageboards you would be banned after one comment. You guys are like people standing by the side if an innocent bystander gets robbed... ban them. Negative, racist, sexist, homophobe,... posts/posters should not be allowed and/or tolerated. And tell some people that straighten their act. I've read some comments from people twice my age that were so childish and rude... Stop acting like an internet tough guy. You're probably pale, balding and missing a tooth. Don't take your frustrations out on other posters.

Fourth:
Why are sooooooo many posters on here always whining about eeeeeeeverything? Seriously? What do you guys want? That he quits? Even then you would be complaining.

Some (I said some) of you sound like a bunch of spoiled brats. But wait a minute...that's exactly what we are!

Morrissey has written some GREAT lyrics and has made some GREAT GREAT songs together with some GREAT musicians. Things evolve. The Gary, Vinnie, Alain,... days are over. Deal with it. You should be glad that Mozzer STILL plays. He could have said "fans? f*** 'em! I'm retiring and i'm gonna chill in Rome bathing in tons of money.". But he's still out there performing and writing new tunes. Some are better than others but AT LEAST HE'S DOING IT! (huh huh huh he said "doing it" beavis)

If Morrissey plays the setlist isn't good, drums were not as hard as the previous drummer, Jesse played a wrong note, ... ah man stop it. Just stop it already. It' s not that you can't critcise him, but it's alwaaaaaaaaays the same old shit. It's really not THAT bad...

When will you be happy? I really wonder what would satisfy some posters on here... (or do I ??)

haters be gone.

Last edited:
Re:

First:
Drop the "anonymous" posting feature. We all know how many "internet heroes" are out there and some of them are "trolling" the site. By deactivating that feature there would be less trolling and therefore one piece of the negativity is eliminated.

Second:
Post things about Rourke, Joyce and Marr in a seperate subforum. What is this? Morrissey-solo? OR Thesmiths.com? A subforum would be nice and there would be more structure. I don't want to read topics about Marr in the headforum.

Third:
Ban Trolls. Get Mods. GOOD mods. There are way too many negative people that are doing nothing more than ridiculing Morrissey and other posters. Where's the respect? I can't get over the fact that this is all tolerated by the mods? On other messageboards you would be banned after one comment. You guys are like people standing by the side if an innocent bystander gets robbed... ban them. Negative, racist, sexist, homophobe,... posts/posters should not be allowed and/or tolerated. And tell some people that straighten their act. I've read some comments from people twice my age that were so childish and rude... Stop acting like an internet tough guy. You're probably pale, balding and missing a tooth. Don't take your frustrations out on other posters.

Fourth:
Why are sooooooo many posters on here always whining about eeeeeeeverything? Seriously? What do you guys want? That he quits? Even then you would be complaining.

Some (I said some) of you sound like a bunch of spoiled brats. But wait a minute...that's exactly what we are!

Morrissey has written some GREAT lyrics and has made some GREAT GREAT songs together with some GREAT musicians. Things evolve. The Gary, Vinnie, Alain,... days are over. Deal with it. You should be glad that Mozzer STILL plays. He could have said "fans? f*** 'em! I'm retiring and i'm gonna chill in Rome bathing in tons of money.". But he's still out there performing and writing new tunes. Some are better than others but AT LEAST HE'S DOING IT! (huh huh huh he said "doing it" beavis)

If Morrissey plays the setlist isn't good, drums were not as hard as the previous drummer, Jesse played a wrong note, ... ah man stop it. Just stop it already. It' s not that you can't critcise him, but it's alwaaaaaaaaays the same old shit. It's really not THAT bad...

When will you be happy? I really wonder what would satisfy some posters on here... (or do I ??)

haters be gone.

Totally unrealistic.

It's like asking Morrissey to eat meat, stop criticising other celebrities and accept knighthood.

Last edited:
Re:

I know it probably has to do with davidt being a technical person and therefore it's not intentional,
but some articles deserve more prominence over others. For example, the Pixie Hixon cover is more
visible than Morrissey getting honored with the key to the city. I think positive things should get more
prominence, say have a bigger picture, than negative stuff.
Maybe a rating system, like Facebook's "like" button would help bring out some positivity (or maybe not).

I know we all have high standard and expectations when it comes to Morrissey and that's
why when something is not perfect or the way we imagine it or want it to be, we tend to focus on what is wrong.
We just want to see our boy happy and successful, but it's a bad thing to always look at the negative.
It wouldn't kill us to preface any constructive criticism with something positive.

I don't know why Morrissey does the same with ending every press release with "I have no record
contract". Surely he can say he got some offers or something.

Just my 2 cents.

One thing that would REALLY improve this site is if dumb people would post their site suggestions in the "Site Suggestions" thread instead of in the "General Discussion about Morrissey" thread.

First:

Second:

Third:

Fourth:

haters be gone.

I think it's funny that you agreed with and expounded on an anonymous poster's motion to improve the site, and the first suggestion you made was to get rid of anonymous posters. You're an intellectual giant!

Totally unrealistic.

It's like asking Morrissey to eat meat, stop criticising other celebrities and accept knighthood.

Holy f***, I actually agree with you!

Re:

One thing that would REALLY improve this site is if dumb people would post their site suggestions in the "Site Suggestions" thread instead of in the "General Discussion about Morrissey" thread.

You should have posted that at the suggestion thread.

I was following up on the discussion that was held in the comments section of the story regarding Morrissey's interview, where he talked ill of the site. Why was that discussion held outside of the suggestions thread?
Also, I talked about Morrissey and his press releases. You can make a thread about anything and then call people on it, when they post in the general thread, that's what I call dumb.

First:

Second:

Third:

Fourth:

haters be gone.

As for your first suggestion, I think it is not materially different, if someone writes as Anonymous or as a registered user by the name of ShoplifterNo5. Skyscraper or whatever is name is, is still negative, although he or she is a registered user.

As for your second suggestion, I think there are enough sections as it stands now, see Skystalker's comment above.

I agree with your third and fourth suggestions and your comments onwards. Maybe some people's IP addresses should be blocked. I think people criticize because they care, however it obviously isn't helping.

Well, this could be a waaaaaay better site if there were some changes....

haters be gone.

What happened to 'Viva Hate!', "hate makes the world go 'round" as Morrissey once said? Was that just an 80's thing? It appears what you want to say is 'Viva Hate! (but no hate towards Morrissey should be tolerated or anyone else I deem as a 'hater')'.

There are way too many negative people that are doing nothing more than ridiculing Morrissey and other posters. Where's the respect? I can't get over the fact that this is all tolerated by the mods? On other messageboards you would be banned after one comment.

Stop acting like an internet tough guy. You're probably pale, balding and missing a tooth. Don't take your frustrations out on other posters.

You just made a 'negative' comment generalizing the personal appearances of other posters however, should you be banned by your own guidelines? What I'm getting at is you can't have vague guidelines. Unless you can point out exact examples - name names and posts that you feel are violations, these suggestions are not that useful.

Last edited:
What happened to 'Viva Hate!', "hate makes the world go 'round" as Morrissey once said? Was that just an 80's thing? It appears what you want to say is 'Viva Hate! (but no hate towards Morrissey should be tolerated or anyone else I deem as a 'hater')'.

You just made a 'negative' comment generalizing the personal appearances of other posters however, should you be banned by your own guidelines? What I'm getting at is you can't have vague guidelines. Unless you can point out exact examples - name names and posts that you feel are violations, these suggestions are not that useful.

David, the point I was trying to make when I started this thread, is that negativity feeds more negativity from others and from Morrissey. If we all try to focus on and bring to the fore the positive or be more forgiving towards others and Morrissey, the vibe of the site would change. There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism, but in the balance of things, it seems we are leaning too heavily towards it. We criticize things that only Morrissey himself can change and that's futile.

David, the point I was trying to make when I started this thread, is that negativity feeds more negativity from others and from Morrissey. If we all try to focus on and bring to the fore the positive or be more forgiving towards others and Morrissey, the vibe of the site would change. There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism, but in the balance of things, it seems we are leaning too heavily towards it. We criticize things that only Morrissey himself can change and that's futile.

I understand what you are saying. I think there is positivity, but people are generally more interested in 'negative' news. If you want sites that focus on eliminating negativity they are there, but why do more come here? When posting an article I don't look at if it's positive or negative. Different articles are featured on the main page and as they are mainly chronological, at some point it may seem some are more prominent than others to a new visitor but to others who visit more often it may not appear that way and at another point the reverse.

I understand what you are saying. I think there is positivity, but people are generally more interested in 'negative' news. If you want sites that focus on eliminating negativity they are there, but why do more come here? When posting an article I don't look at if it's positive or negative. Different articles are featured on the main page and as they are mainly chronological, at some point it may seem some are more prominent than others to a new visitor but to others who visit more often it may not appear that way and at another point the reverse.

yeah, but what I meant is that you as the administrator have the ability to decide what to highlight, not that there shouldn't be any bad news, because this you can't and shouldn't control, but you can give positive news more prominence. This in turn, can influence the vibe of the site, especially when you acknowledge that people are negatively inclined.

yeah, but what I meant is that you as the administrator have the ability to decide what to highlight, not that there shouldn't be any bad news, because this you can't and shouldn't control, but you can give positive news more prominence. This in turn, can influence the vibe of the site, especially when you acknowledge that people are negatively inclined.

Again, this is a bit vague. For example, what do you want me to do, highlight only positive stories on the main page? You think I should bury the story on how Portugal was cancelled to the bottom of the page as it can be seen as 'negative'?

Re:

I think it's funny that you agreed with and expounded on an anonymous poster's motion to improve the site, and the first suggestion you made was to get rid of anonymous posters. You're an intellectual giant!

So what's your point?

What does reacting to an anonymous post, have to do with my intelligence? It's a reaction on a post that happens to be from an anonymous poster.
So your point is that I can't react on someone that posts anonymous because I don't "like" that feature?

What kind of stupid argument is that?

So if we would follow your way of thinking:
- You can't talk to carnivores if you're vegetarian. Or you lack intelligence!!!
- You can't talk react on ANYTHING that girls say if you're gay. And if you do, you lack intelligence!!!
- You can't react on AAAAAAAAAAAAANYTHING that a black guy with dreadlocks says if you don't like dreadlocks...

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I'd join a political party if I were you.

Again, this is a bit vague. For example, what do you want me to do, highlight only positive stories on the main page? You think I should bury the story on how Portugal was cancelled to the bottom of the page as it can be seen as 'negative'?

no that's not what I said, as the example I gave, the story of someone covering a Smiths song is more visible than Morrissey being honored with the keys to a city. It would have been nice to give such stories more prominence. Just my opinion. Maybe as other sites do, you can do features, next to the chronological news items, or pin some stories as one does in a message board.
Also, people traveling 800 miles to Portugal are bound to be disappointed no matter what in my opinion, that seems to me a rather drastic and expensive thing to do.

no that's not what I said, as the example I gave, the story of someone covering a Smiths song is more visible than Morrissey being honored with the keys to a city. It would have been nice to give such stories more prominence. Just my opinion. Maybe as other sites do, you can do features, next to the chronological news items, or pin some stories as one does in a message board.
Also, people traveling 800 miles to Portugal are bound to be disappointed no matter what in my opinion, that seems to me a rather drastic and expensive thing to do.

I don't agree it was more prominent. There are actually two articles mentioning the keys to the city. The second one was added as it was an article on true-to-you.net that also mentioned Morrissey supposedly outselling Madonna and Bruce Springsteen.

I don't agree it was more prominent. There are actually two articles mentioning the keys to the city. The second one was added as it was an article on true-to-you.net that also mentioned Morrissey supposedly outselling Madonna and Bruce Springsteen.

As I wrote, I was referring to the picture and visibility, I know it's the technical layout and format of the site, where all items and pictures are the same (small) size, but that I presume can be altered. I don't know who is responsible for true-to-you.net's press releases and if Morrissey sanctions them, as I wrote I question the logic of mentioning he hasn't got a record contract and obviously these things aren't fact checked. This press release could have been added to the older article on the same subject, again that's at your discretion as administrator. Duplicates aren't useful either. Again, just my opinion.

As I wrote, I was referring to the picture and visibility, I know it's the technical layout and format of the site, where all items and pictures are the same (small) size, but that I presume can be altered. I don't know who is responsible for true-to-you.net's press releases and if Morrissey sanctions them, as I wrote I question the logic of mentioning he hasn't got a record contract and obviously these things aren't fact checked. This press release could have been added to the older article on the same subject, again that's at your discretion as administrator. Duplicates aren't useful either. Again, just my opinion.

The thumbnail in the Jemma Pixie Hixon article is actually a video, which is a different size than an image. If a video of the keys to the city was embeddable then it would be the same size. Sure, technically I could go individually into each article and adjust the size of the thumbnail but I don't think it's that important to spend the limited time I have time on. If you came the day the stories were put on the site and also the next day, you would see the top story was the one about the keys to the city.

The thumbnail in the Jemma Pixie Hixon article is actually a video, which is a different size than an image. If a video of the keys to the city was embeddable then it would be the same size. Sure, technically I could go individually into each article and adjust the size of the thumbnail but I don't think it's that important to spend the limited time I have time on. If you came the day the stories were put on the site and also the next day, you would see the top story was the one about the keys to the city.

Of course you shouldn't spend your time on it, it should be a template that would have a bigger image or video, and you would only need to choose which articles to highlight, feature or pin (especially when you have good photos or videos to go with an item). What if somebody came a day after the story came up and a new, but not as important, story took the top spot? selected positive items can stay highlighted or pinned for a week or a month, just like the discussion board works. You can also let the users decide via a "like" button (although it is risky with the people here).

Of course you shouldn't spend your time on it, it should be a template that would have a bigger image or video, and you would only need to choose which articles to highlight, feature or pin (especially when you have good photos or videos to go with an item). What if somebody came a day after the story came up and a new, but not as important, story took the top spot? selected positive items can stay highlighted or pinned for a week or a month, just like the discussion board works. You can also let the users decide via a "like" button (although it is risky with the people here).

There already is a feature to pin items to the top. It was at the top for 2 days so I didn't need to pin it. I prefer to keep things moving, no need to keep the same article at the top for a week or a month.

Back
Top Bottom