Enquiry regarding Autobiography

Harryrag

Hi all,

I'm finally getting round to purchasing a copy of Morrissey's Autobiography. I am aware the US version made no mention of Morrissey's sex life. Is the UK reissue also edited? I just want to know what edition to buy so I can enjoy the full text. Thanks

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Doesn't really matter. He doesn't really definitively talk about sex, I mean, he does but it's fairly inconsequential, meaning he doesn't really get into it too much. You can buy either and just google the parts that were taken out. To answer your question, I don't know which version they're selling these days. What I'm trying to say is you'll be fine either way, but I understand, if you want to read it pure the first time.

The UK versions weren't edited to remove the references to Jake. So the original 'Penguin Classics' with the title under the photo, the hardback (with additional photos) and the more recent edition (Modern classics?) version with the title above the photo are all good. The GP Putnam version published in the US removed the sections referring to the relationship with Jake (if that's what it was) and I think the photo of Jake. AFAIK.

The UK versions weren't edited to remove the references to Jake. So the original 'Penguin Classics' with the title under the photo, the hardback (with additional photos) and the more recent edition (Modern classics?) version with the title above the photo are all good. The GP Putnam version published in the US removed the sections referring to the relationship with Jake (if that's what it was) and I think the photo of Jake. AFAIK.
This edition of the book also has the edited text.

This edition of the book also has the edited text.

With reference to this, can anyone confirm that the 'Modern Classics' version really has the Jake stuff?

I'm wondering if only the original first edition (UK paperback, Penguin Classics) has the Jake stuff.

With reference to this, can anyone confirm that the 'Modern Classics' version really has the Jake stuff?

I'm wondering if only the original first edition (UK paperback, Penguin Classics) has the Jake stuff.
All editions of the book include passages about Morrissey's relationship with Jake. The edited versions removed a photo, modified certain intimate lines to be more ambiguous and completely omitted others, but that section of the book wasn't removed entirely.

Regarding your question, I have yet to get a copy of the Modern Classics edition, but the US Penguin Classics softcover edition was published with the original text restored, so I assume the Modern Classics version would have the original text as well.

Last edited:
All editions of the book include passages about Morrissey's relationship with Jake. The edited versions removed a photo, modified certain intimate lines to be more ambiguous and completely omitted others, but that section of the book wasn't removed entirely.

Regarding your question, I have yet to get a copy of the Modern Classics edition, but the US Penguin Classics softcover edition was published with the original text restored, so I assume the Modern Classics version would have the original text as well.

Thanks, very informative. I have only one copy of the book, the original UK Penguin Classics edition. Was wondering if that was the only 'unedited' one or not.

Morrissey Autobiography

Hi,
Can anyone tell me the difference between the different autobiographies that have been published.
I have recently seen a black hard cover version and not sure how it is different to the others.
Thanks for any help.
Zari

Re: Morrissey Autobiography

1,0000 Copies of his autobiography were signed. I believe they were on a soft cover. As for the black being signed. Im not sure, lol.

Back
Top Bottom