The Smiths official Twitter account is now live

Cool, but what could they possibly post about? New singles, tour dates, merchandise. Obviously none of those. I don't see what use an official twitter page is, to a band which split 30 years ago

Omg, Morrissey is ringing his attorney as we speak...

At this point, a Smiths reunion seems like a plausible move- likely brought about by Morrissey's PR people in a last-gasp effort to reclaim some of the goodwill that the guy has squandered over the last decade or so. I've said for a long time that Morrissey's worst enemy, is Morrissey. He has damaged his "brand" as evidenced by the performance of his last several albums, as well as playing to crowds of 1-2000 (if he's lucky) when his peers are commanding much larger crowds.

Cue the standard TTY post that Morrissey has no affiliation with either the website or Twitter account.

At this point, a Smiths reunion seems like a plausible move- likely brought about by Morrissey's PR people in a last-gasp effort to reclaim some of the goodwill that the guy has squandered over the last decade or so. I've said for a long time that Morrissey's worst enemy, is Morrissey. He has damaged his "brand" as evidenced by the performance of his last several albums, as well as playing to crowds of 1-2000 (if he's lucky) when his peers are commanding much larger crowds.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but to claim Morrissey has been playing to crowds of 1000-2000 recently is complete nonsense. He was actually doing some of that in 1997-2002, but post-2004 comeback, most shows (sans an oddball booking) are in at least 3000+ capacity venues. And many, many shows in much bigger rooms than that.

Surely an official twitter account of the Smiths would be run in the name of Morrissey, Johnny Marr (et al) (i.e. The Smiths) and not Warner.

Cool, but what could they possibly post about? New singles, tour dates, merchandise. Obviously none of those. I don't see what use an official twitter page is, to a band which split 30 years ago

Retro-tweets in the vein of "It was four score and seven years ago that this band released their fourth single" I suppose. That kind of stuff. And perhaps warm up towards a new comp?

I've been saying for years it's the logical conclusion and the only thing that can happen. Lots of others disagreed.

The Smiths will never get back together. For one, johnny marr doesnt need the baggage, he's on the up and enjoying what he's doing. Morrissey hasnt even got a record label. I'm as big a fan as the next person, but morrissey's a rotten apple. Not a cats chance in hell Marr will ever pair up with him again.

I've been saying for years it's the logical conclusion and the only thing that can happen. Lots of others disagreed.

I often agree with you more than most here, Peter, but the only logical conclusion I would draw from this is that they are preparing to crank up the corporate greed cycle by foisting some type of best-of/most-of product in tandem with the 30th anniversary of The Queen Is Dead. Besides, Morrissey is too busy pulling pints and Johnny is too busy rinsing his grays.

I often agree with you more than most here, Peter, but the only logical conclusion I would draw from this is that they are preparing to crank up the corporate greed cycle by foisting some type of best-of/most-of product in tandem with the 30th anniversary of The Queen Is Dead. Besides, Morrissey is too busy pulling pints and Johnny is too busy rinsing his grays.

Life without hope is hopeless.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom