Morrissey: Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast food chains

Once again he shoots himself in the foot.

Morrissey: 'Norway Attacks Nothing Compared To Actions Of Fast Good Giants' - Gigwise
He claims...

Morrissey has courted criticism after he reportedly compared the actions of fast food companies to the recent attacks in Norway.

At least 76 people died last week in two separate attacks which were both orchestrated by far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik.

Morrissey, a staunch vegetarian, made reference the massacre during a performance in at Stodola Club in Warsaw, Poland earlier this week, according to the Daily Mirror.

Before playing The Smiths' song 'Meat is Murder', he is quoted as saying: “We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead.

“Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried Sh*t every day.”

Video footage of Morrissey performing the song has been published on YouTube, but it omits his alleged introduction.

Morrissey's comment is the latest in a string of outbursts in recent months, many of which have focussed on animal welfare.

Link from Tingle3:

Morrissey says Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast food chains - Daily Mirror
by Ashleigh Rainbird

MORRISSEY has sparked outrage after saying the tragedy in Norway was “nothing” compared to the actions of fast food chains.

The controversial singer, 52, made his remark while on stage at a gig in Warsaw on Sunday night.

Before launching into his hit Meat is Murder, the outspoken vegetarian made reference to the horrific events last Friday.

Referring to the death toll as thought at the time he said: “We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead. Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried S*** every day.”

Two nights earlier the singer introduced the same song with another lambasting of the brands.

Gig-goers took to his fan sites to condemn the his outburst. One wrote: “The killing of children compared to KFC & McDonald’s?!!! What an ass****!”

Another wrote: “I really don’t know if that is *forgivable? Or of any use to the vegetarian cause?”

A spokesman said last night: “Morrissey has decided not to comment any further as he believes his statement speaks for itself.”

Update 10/18/2011:

Sistasheila posted the link to the video and actual words spoken during the concert:

"Despite the love, we do live on a murderous planet,
as you will have seen over the last few days in Norway.
Murder murder murder.
But really, every single day, worse things happen in KFC and McDonalds.
Murder, murder, murder, murder, murder..."

Link from inourbritches:
Morrissey: 'McDonald's, KFC worse than Norway massacre' - Digital Spy

Also, links posted by anonymous persons in the Warsaw post-show:
Meat biz worse than Norway: Morrissey - LFPress / Wenn.com
Morrissey lekceważąco o norweskiej tragedii - Interia.pl
Morrissey: – Massakren i Norge er ingenting mot massakren på Mc Donald's hver dag - tv2.no

80s Icon in Hot Water, a Facebook Status Leads To an Arrest, and a Whale Thanks its Rescuers in a Touching Way - Yahoo! News blog. Link from Desert Bee.

Last edited by a moderator:
"A spokesman said last night: “Morrissey has decided not to comment any further as he believes his statement speaks for itself.”

I give him credit for not embarrassing himself any further.

But this time he's right! I absolutely despise what happens daily at the KFC and Mac Donalds.

I used to be a fan of his, but today I threw all my records in the trash. Could not find a more suitable place for them after his statement.

"Once again he shoots himself in the foot."

This is a problem with your format for articles at the moment--who is saying this? DavidT? miseryguts? Some member of the press?

I can't help but suspect that this site is now so determined to portray itself as a devil's advocate against any position Morrissey takes that you don't care who's being understood to have said it--it accuses Morrissey of being a dunce, and that's all that matters.

Of course, the original remarks are classic Morrissey. He's always been a dangerous and subversive person when he's been at his best, and all the outrage against him on this site lately just shows that the site's patrons are a lot of middle-of-the-road, fat, American conservatives who became fans at a late age as some pathetic form of 80's nostalgia. Please just change the name to DavidT-Solo so you won't seem so irrelevant to the artist and the ideas that some of us still follow attentively.

A fair point, but at the wrong time. Morrissey seems to not understand that speaking a message of anti-cruelty through statements that can be perceived as cruel, is not terribly constructive.

Let's be honest, Morrissey isn't exactly the brightest bulb.

He likes to portray himself as some great intelligent mind but in matters of real life and society, he's something of a moron.

Yeah he became a music icon but that legend doesn't extend to his social awareness and thoughts on world affairs.

The Morrissey apologists and bootlickers will now commence defending the undefendable remark Moz made and they won't even realize how foolish they are for even trying.

This is typical Morrissey; his views on animal rights (and everything else) are entirely reasonable, but when he draws parallels to the killing of innocent human beings--unacceptable.

I have been a fan of his music since The Smiths, but I have never agreed with his political stance and his societal views. This has not hindered my enjoyment of his early solo materials. Quite frankly, his past three or four studio releases have been horrible.

Back on topic--he is just like Lady Gaga and the others who say/do things to keep their names in the public eye.

I really hope/wish someone "calls" him on this at one of his shows--oops, Morrissey will whine and hide in his dressing room.

Re: Article: Morrissey: 'Norway Attacks Nothing Compared To Actions Of Fast Good Gian

"Once again he shoots himself in the foot."

This is a problem with your format for articles at the moment--who is saying this? DavidT? miseryguts? Some member of the press?

Sorry if this is not clear, but articles that have a name attributed to them are originally posted or submitted by someone in the forums and then I edit them / add info. I prefer to not change the context of the original post but sometimes I will remove extraneous text/opinions.

You can compare the original forum post to the article by clicking on 'View original post' at the bottom of the article.

Re: Article: Morrissey: 'Norway Attacks Nothing Compared To Actions Of Fast Good Gian

This is typical Morrissey; his views on animal rights (and everything else) are entirely reasonable, but when he draws parallels to the killing of innocent human beings--unacceptable.

I have been a fan of his music since The Smiths, but I have never agreed with his political stance and his societal views. This has not hindered my enjoyment of his early solo materials. Quite frankly, his past three or four studio releases have been horrible.

Back on topic--he is just like Lady Gaga and the others who say/do things to keep their names in the public eye.

I really hope/wish someone "calls" him on this at one of his shows--oops, Morrissey will whine and hide in his dressing room.

You nailed it. I feel the same as you on all your points.

Well said.

Perfectly, exactly wrong. The concept of "speciesism" is central to the animal rights movement, as you'd know if you read perhaps the most famous work on the matter, Peter Singer's Animal Liberation.

Those of you who roll your eyes at Morrissey on these matters have it exactly backwards. He's over your proudly middlebrow heads.

What a moron! Either he is a total f-ing idiot, or he has no social antennas whatsoever. Or maybe both? Wonder if he would say the same if his kids were slayed down by a maniac? Morrisey can go f*** a dolphin or something...

This is a solow story, The Mirror quote 'fans' from this site who are 'furious' with him.
David T creates another 'fans hate Morrissey headline'.
The biggest ego belongs to David T.
So why haven't you said this is a direct result of this site when you posted this?

As a Morrissey fan, and as vegeterian I can honestly say that his remarks are completely insane and at the same time cruel. No Moz, it is way too soon to say it... yes, I know you believe it and I might believe to a certain extent.

These type of comments do not help promote animal rights or your career...

Are we losing you?

Poor Moz. A 10 yrs old kid would be able to understand the life of human being is more important than the life of a chicken.

Whatever validity his central point may have his timing is truly appalling. The funerals have not even been held yet.

Poor Moz. A 10 yrs old kid would be able to understand the life of human being is more important than the life of a chicken.

It does make you feel sorry for Moz that he can't grasp that concept, doesn't it?

It's a very shameful outlook.

If he wants to be a vegetarian and defend animals, that's fine but to say they are equal to a human life is offensive and pathetic.

He doesn't even know how dumb he is to think like that.

Poor Morrissey, to be so vapid/ignorant. I feel sorry for you.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom