Do you wear sweatshop clothes?

Do you buy from companies that use sweatshops?

• No

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Yes, but I feel bad about it

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Yes, and I don't feel bad about it

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters

MunchyBrain

Born Against
Do you buy clothes from companies that use sweatshops, or are generally unethical (i.e. anti-Unionism, sexism, racial discrimination)?

Vote yes if you buy from: Primark, GAP, H&M, Top Shop, Mothercare, Nike, Adidas, Zara, Mango, Marks and Spencers, George (Asda), New Look, Wal-Mart, Tommy Hilfiger, Target, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Matalan, Disney, Levi's, New Era, Burberry, Tescos, Puma, Reebok, Lacoste, New Balance, North Face, Timberland, L.L. Bean, Calvin Klein, Macy's, Abercrombie & Fitch or Ralph Lauren.

If you do, does it bother you, or do you not really care?

Yes i buy from some of those places because there are no sweatshop free shops that offer the kind of clothes i want to wear. I have no desire to dress in homemade clothing or from those websites that market themselves as progressive for labor, environment, etc. because their clothes are ugly.

Basically my answer is Yes, but it's not like I don't care (i fought against sweatshops in college. even did a 52 hour sit-in in our president's office to get him to pressure NIKE). But at the same time it's not like I feel bad about it.

What should I vote if I'm not sure whether the clothes I have were counterfeited or not? :eek:

Do you buy clothes from companies that use sweatshops, or are generally unethical (i.e. anti-Unionism, sexism, racial discrimination)?

Vote yes if you buy from: Primark, GAP, H&M, Top Shop, Mothercare, Nike, Adidas, Zara, Mango, Marks and Spencers, George (Asda), New Look, Wal-Mart, Tommy Hilfiger, Target, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Matalan, Disney, Levi's, New Era, Burberry, Tescos, Puma, Reebok, Lacoste, New Balance, North Face, Timberland, L.L. Bean, Calvin Klein, Macy's, Abercrombie & Fitch or Ralph Lauren.

If you do, does it bother you, or do you not really care?

where do you get your clothes?

Yes i buy from some of those places because there are no sweatshop free shops that offer the kind of clothes i want to wear. I have no desire to dress in homemade clothing or from those websites that market themselves as progressive for labor, environment, etc. because their clothes are ugly.

Basically my answer is Yes, but it's not like I don't care (i fought against sweatshops in college. even did a 52 hour sit-in in our president's office to get him to pressure NIKE). But at the same time it's not like I feel bad about it.

It's not like it's just hippy hemp sack 'clothes', though. I mean, I don't know about where you live, but in London, lots of independent designers sell their stuff, reasonably priced. But if you just want generic high street clothes then I guess you don't have a choice...

It's not like it's just hippy hemp sack 'clothes', though. I mean, I don't know about where you live, but in London, lots of independent designers sell their stuff, reasonably priced. But if you just want generic high street clothes then I guess you don't have a choice...

but is their source materials & fabrics made in sweatshops?

What should I vote if I'm not sure whether the clothes I have were counterfeited or not? :eek:

Hahah. They were probably made in sweatshops as well, but I dunno.

I'm wearing Benetton from head to toe. Is it Evil?
Yes, they use child labor, sorry.

but is their source materials & fabrics made in sweatshops?
Nope.

where do you get your clothes?

Well, if I analyse what I'm wearing at the moment, I'm wearing a pair of DMs that were made while they still made them in the UK. I'm wearing a black (fake) military surplus jacket with no label on, so to be fair, it may have been made in a sweatshop, I don't know. Black tights, again, no label. A Couch skirt. And a Nick Cave t-shirt printed on a Continental Clothing shirt. So, I think I'm clean except maybe the jacket and tights, because I can't verify them.

Last edited:
Very hard to find affordable fashionable clothes from high street in UK and Japan. :(

I'm have no talent for sawing / dressmaking, at school teachers helped some parts because they pitied me.

Occasionally I buy clothes from charity shops.

Well, if I analyse what I'm wearing at the moment, I'm wearing a pair of DMs that were made while they still made them in the UK. .
When did they stop making them here? are yours second hand?

I'm wearing a black (fake) military surplus jacket with no label on, so to be fair, it may have been made in a sweatshop, I don't know. Black tights, again, no label. A Couch skirt. And a Nick Cave t-shirt printed on a Continental Clothing shirt. So, I think I'm clean except maybe the jacket and tights, because I can't verify them.

so, in many respects, its hard not to have clothing that has been made in a 'sweatshop'. Even If you buy them secondhand in a shop life Oxfam etc.

When did they stop making them here? are yours second hand?

so, in many respects, its hard not to have clothing that has been made in a 'sweatshop'. Even If you buy them secondhand in a shop life Oxfam etc.

They started making them in China and Thailand in 2003. That's also when they stopped making the vegan ones. Mine are second hand. They still have one range that's made in the UK, but they are like, £30 more expensive.

i wear them,some of my clothiing i wear is ,some is not,i feel bad to a degree,but many times i do not have a choice.

They started making them in China and Thailand in 2003. That's also when they stopped making the vegan ones. Mine are second hand. They still have one range that's made in the UK, but they are like, £30 more expensive.

I was thinking of getting a new pair or monkey boots, do you like monkey boots....do you wild and wacky kids still wear them?

I do buy from some of the shops listed and I do buy second hand.... I do feel bad when I think about it.....

I was thinking of getting a new pair or monkey boots, do you like monkey boots....do you wild and wacky kids still wear them?

People still wear monkey boots, but not that much. Also, there's a thing on DMs website about how ethical they are and stuff, but I'm not sure how much is true. My next pair are probably going to be the 'Vintage' ones made in the UK, even though they're more expensive. They're better quality as well, as these pictures (scroll down) demonstrate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Martens

Wow Calvin Klein made in sweatshops and lacoste.My friend has some of the older fred perry clothing which says made in england you do not see much of that now.

Back
Top Bottom