More thread-merging madness

Maurice E

Can we have an explanation as to why a thread about Chrissie Hynde's notes for Viva Hate, and a thread about the new edited version of Maudlin Street have been merged?
Yes, they both relate to the new edition of Viva Hate but they are completely different aspects (I am interested in the latter but not bothered at all about the notes).
Thanks.

The title of the thread is different, but the same subject is already discussed in Chrissie Hynde's note for Viva Hate. I thought better to merge the thread.

Yet more ludicrous thread merging (about Morrissey and the NME)

Today, one of the most important pieces of Morrissey news of the last 5 years has been announced.
NME has finally apologised to him on their website and in print, and he has dropped the legal action.
Yet, if you go to the front page, the merged thread says 'Turn up at court and support Morrissey'.
Not only is this totally and unbelievably irritating, but this thread title is now ACTUALLY WRONG. Morrissey is not now even going to court.
It's hard to express how incredibly exasperating the thread-merging has become on this website.
Some very simple guidelines are needed.

for your interest

David added Article comments section in the forum 10 June 2012.

The topic was already published in mainpage on 12:00 UK time this afternoon, no need for posting a new thread after 18:00 in general discussion.

I advise all the forum users to read both general discussion and article comments before posting a new thread.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Re: Yet more ludicrous thread merging (about Morrissey and the NME)

Today, one of the most important pieces of Morrissey news of the last 5 years has been announced.
NME has finally apologised to him on their website and in print, and he has dropped the legal action.
Yet, if you go to the front page, the merged thread says 'Turn up at court and support Morrissey'.
Not only is this totally and unbelievably irritating, but this thread title is now ACTUALLY WRONG. Morrissey is not now even going to court.
It's hard to express how incredibly exasperating the thread-merging has become on this website.
Some very simple guidelines are needed.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
your thread about merging threads, was itself, merged into another thread!

Still, at least the thread title wasn't changed...... like mine used to be :thumb:

JJ

Re: for your interest

The topic was already published in mainpage on 12:00 UK time this afternoon, no need for posting a new thread after 18:00 in general discussion.

I advise all the forum users to read both general discussion and article comments before posting a new thread.

Thank you very much.

But the thread in question wasn't merged with the Article comments, (and the Article comments thread wasn't showing on the forum at all) it was merged with another thread about something different (it happened to me too). It meant there was no thread in the Morrissey forum about the days big news and everytime one was started it got hidden in a thread about something else - bit strange?
Some Article threads are shown in the general forum - why not this one?

There actually is access, on the main forum page look at the bottom for the forum "Morrissey-solo Article Comments". This was a hidden forum until a few days ago, when I made it visible. This forum contains the discussions for articles that are created for the front page.

I had experimented before by creating article posts in the main forum, then promoting them to the front page. But it became tedious as any edit I would need to do in two places.

For this specific article, George M sent me an email before others had posted it to the forum and to give credit to him I created a new article.

But the thread in question wasn't merged with the Article comments, (and the Article comments thread wasn't showing on the forum at all) it was merged with another thread about something different (it happened to me too). It meant there was no thread in the Morrissey forum about the days big news and everytime one was started it got hidden in a thread about something else - bit strange?
Some Article threads are shown in the general forum - why not this one?

Now that you bring it up, I could put all article discussions into the general forum if that makes things less confusing / strange. Originally I thought forum users wouldn't want them all mixed together.

There actually is access, on the main forum page look at the bottom for the forum "Morrissey-solo Article Comments". This was a hidden forum until a few days ago, when I made it visible. This forum contains the discussions for articles that are created for the front page.

I had experimented before by creating article posts in the main forum, then promoting them to the front page. But it became tedious as any edit I would need to do in two places.

For this specific article, George M sent me an email before others had posted it to the forum and to give credit to him I created a new article.

but why doesn't it show in the main forum (like the other Articles). This creates the feeling that you are trying to hide or stop this discussion. Several people want to discuss it in the main forum but aren't being allowed to?

but why doesn't it show in the main forum (like the other Articles). This creates the feeling that you are trying to hide or stop this discussion. Several people want to discuss it in the main forum but aren't being allowed to?

Discussions for front page articles were always separate from the general discussion forums until recently when the software allowed them to be merged to be the same. You have a good point, I can move these and all new article discussion from the articles forum to the general discussion forum.

Thank you very much.

So why didn't you merge the thread with the Article Comments thread you mention (this one here http://www.morrissey-solo.com/thread...post1986720464) at least that would have made sense, instead you merged it with a thread about something else? Having pointed out your own error, you add "I advise all the forum users to read both general discussion and article comments before posting..." Crumbs. You should follow your own advice

(Thank you very much)

Last edited:

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Discussions for front page articles were always separate from the general discussion forums until recently when the software allowed them to be merged to be the same. You have a good point, I can move these and all new article discussion from the articles forum to the general discussion forum.

Thank you - Can you see David how things like this can be percieved. It seems me and at least one other poster wanted to discuss the very positive days new yesterday. That story has been massive on these forums and finally yesterday it was concluded. The NME says sorry and Morrissey accepts. Yet we couldn't start a discussion in the forum about it. I realise it was on the main page but the forum is where things are discussed and unfortunatly negative voices seem to shout loudest and most often, so it makes it even more difficult when positive voices with good news story seem to be stifled. Am i right to assume (given the existence of the Article thread) that these new threads in question (about the NME apology - one of which was mine) were incorrectly merged with the TTY court case announcment thread?

Thank you - Can you see David how things like this can be percieved. It seems me and at least one other poster wanted to discuss the very positive days new yesterday. That story has been massive on these forums and finally yesterday it was concluded. The NME says sorry and Morrissey accepts. Yet we couldn't start a discussion in the forum about it. I realise it was on the main page but the forum is where things are discussed and unfortunatly negative voices seem to shout loudest and most often, so it makes it even more difficult when positive voices with good news story seem to be stifled. Am i right to assume (given the existence of the Article thread) that these new threads in question (about the NME apology - one of which was mine) were incorrectly merged with the TTY court case announcment thread?

Yes, I can see your point of frustration. I did not merge the item and personally do not like merging things but at the same time it makes sense to keep everything in the same related thread as some people do not follow everything as closely as others. One person may have missed that Morrissey actually mentioned the online apology earlier. One person may only check the homepage on occasion and never go to the forums. With the merged discussions and moving them all into general discussion, I think a lot of these problems will be solved.

Morrissey-solo removed my thread

Hello,yesterday i post a thread on the tour section,about the concert coming soon to australia in brisbane on 17 th of december (queensland) as i live 79 kms from brisbane i just post making some comments that it was a bad dad day to be monday (17-dec) as a lot of people was going to work on the following day (tuesday) and i also said that in brisbane after 9:30 pm was a very bad connections by transfers from city rail (train) to buses and that's all i said,and they removed my thread post.i send a message to morrissey-solo and i'm still awating to be answered for wich reason they had removed my thread post!

Re: Morrissey-solo wbsite removed my thread !

It is in the tour forum, under the Oz/NZ thread

Hello,yesterday i post a thread on the tour section,about the concert coming soon to australia in brisbane on 17 th of december (queensland) as i live 79 kms from brisbane i just post making some comments that it was a bad dad day to be monday (17-dec) as a lot of people was going to work on the following day (tuesday) and i also said that in brisbane after 9:30 pm was a very bad connections by transfers from city rail (train) to buses and that's all i said,and they removed my thread post.i send a message to morrissey-solo and i'm still awating to be answered for wich reason they had removed my thread post!

It was just moved.

It is in the tour forum, under the Oz/NZ thread

Obviously with Australia and New Zealand being one country of such tiny proportions, someone saw fit to move a post about one night in Brisbane, with its crap transport links, into a general thread about the very small nation of Australia New Zealand. Meanwhile in Tunbridge Wells Mrs mangle is reading tea leaves on Shortland Street whilst Bouncer is resurrected as the new Jesus. It was all a dream

Back
Top Bottom