The Smiths-Complete Super Deluxe Collectors Box?

That does look interesting, but expensive like you said. The shipping alone to the US looks crazy.

I wonder what the specially reproduced rarities are.

As someone who has collected everything (well not everything like Stephane/Mikael type everything, but normal everything), including all reissues on just about every format, I just can't see paying this kind of money for nothing new music wise other than some supposed remastering.

I could see paying for a box set with actual unreleased music. If something were really complete like with Smiths demos, actual unreleased solo songs (Kit, etc.), Wolverhampton show, and so on (even though that might not be possible record label/legal-wise), then I could see it being worth it.

I'd love to have it but can't justify spending $400 or $500 or whatever it would end up being. Sorry for the rambling, it's just frustrating to see the same things over and over when we'd all love a useful boxset.

[/I]

Sorry if this has been talked about/posted already. I received this little nugget today from a friend, looks very interesting, but the price scares me away:

http://www.rhino.co.uk/thesmithscomplete.htm

That does look interesting, but expensive like you said. The shipping alone to the US looks crazy.

I wonder what the specially reproduced rarities are.

As someone who has collected everything (well not everything like Stephane/Mikael type everything, but normal everything), including all reissues on just about every format, I just can't see paying this kind of money for nothing new music wise other than some supposed remastering.

I could see paying for a box set with actual unreleased music. If something were really complete like with Smiths demos, actual unreleased solo songs (Kit, etc.), Wolverhampton show, and so on (even though that might not be possible record label/legal-wise), then I could see it being worth it.

I'd love to have it but can't justify spending $400 or $500 or whatever it would end up being. Sorry for the rambling, it's just frustrating to see the same things over and over when we'd all love a useful boxset.

[/I]

No need for apologies...Im with you bud......just cant justify spedning that kind of dough on this, especially w/NO new material on it. I was shocked when my buddy sent me the link to it, I'd definitely love to have one in my collection, but that price is a little too steep for me too.

By the way, always been curious about something, as pertaining to Smiths "unreleased/demos/Etc": Mike supposedly claims he has a ton of "bits and bops" and other material on tapes, and so forth, locked away. I cant, for the life of me, figure out, why a label like Rhino, or EMI doesnt contact Mike, and make him a VERY handsome offer for that stuff? I mean, if Morrissey/Marr cared THAT much about it being released down the road, surely they wouldve put up a better fight for it, come court time? Seems, there may not be any hurdles in the way, for Mike to sell this stuff to say Rhino or EMI to release, and he gets a cut from it? Just asking......

Still nothing on the website, should be up soon...
Cheers Moz

There's no info on the website at the moment - what was listed earlier - content? price?

(I think) I have read that Frank Arkwright remastered all of the albums a few years ago, so it is inevitable that they will all be re-released (have they already been re-re-released?). But what we need are some new nuggets - take a look at the 25th Anniversary Edition of R.E.M.s 'Life's Rich Pageant' released a couple of weeks ago http://remhq.com/news_story.php?id=1397 - lovely box, nice artwork, remastered album and a second CD full of unreleased tracks from the period.

Dave

There's no info on the website at the moment - what was listed earlier - content? price?

Yes, there was a photo of the box set open. I should have saved the image.

Off the top of my head, it said something like:

- 8 heavy weight LPs
- 8 miniLP cds
- 25 7"s (including replicas of rare ones)
- a 36"x24" poster
- The Complete Picture dvd
- Booklet with liner notes
- Prints of each album cover, 12"
- And some stuff to download

£249

The ad also mentioned a box set with 8 LPs and another box set with 8 CDs. No price for those.

Then again just showed flax's picture to my son without showing price,his exact words "it'll be two and a half hundred that thing won't it" so perhaps they got it right and I'm a tight old Hector.

It looks lovely - forget any unreleased nuggets, I'm a sucker for beautiful artwork - I'm in!

Dave

Last edited:
The set will include 25 x 7" singles...
I notice that the French There Is A Light 7" is included, I wonder what else?
Negative HIG?

It looks lovely - forget any unreleased nuggets, I'm a sucker for beautiful artwork - I'm in!

Dave

I'm in too. The artwork is just so beautiful....
Cheers Moz

That is serious money, but I'll probably order one if I can persuade the wife :p

What does put me off a little is the limited to ONLY 3,000 copies, that is hardly limited :crazy:

I'm not sure why I didn't get the e-mail :confused: The link on the front page doesn't work and still nothing on their webpage.

Uuuuurrrgggh. I'm bored of re-issues already. Got everything already, why should I buy it all again for lots of flicking money? Why Morrissey?

‘The Smiths — Complete’ box set: 8 albums on vinyl, CD; plus 25 7-inch singles,

‘The Smiths — Complete’ box set: 8 albums on vinyl, CD; plus 25 7-inch singles, DVD

thesmiths1987.jpg

The U.K. arm of Rhino Records this fall will release The Smiths — Complete, a “super deluxe collectors’ box set” that will feature remastered versions of the band’s eight albums on both CD and 180-gram audiophile vinyl, plus all 25 of the group’s singles on individual 7-inches — as well as prints, posters and a DVD of music videos.
Packaged in a “heavyweight trunk” and limited to 3,000 copies worldwide, the colossal box set is slated to ship Oct. 3, and is priced at £249.99 — or about U.S. $410 — through Rhino.co.uk. It’s not yet clear whether Rhino’s U.S. operation also will release the Smiths collection.
UPDATE: Rhino U.K. seems to have taken the set off its website this morning, but you can see a screenshot of the packaging and full product details below, courtesy of Morrissey-solo.com.
The heart of the set are the band’s eight albums — The Smiths, Meat is Murder, The Queen is Dead and Strangeways Here We Come, plus compilations Hatful of Hollow, The World Won’t Listen and Louder Than Bombs, and the live album Rank — that have been remastered by guitarist Johnny Marr and engineer Frank Arkwright from “the original tape sources.”
According to Rhino, The Smiths — Complete includes the following:

• All eight albums on CD featuring mini-LP replica packaging with gatefold card wallets

• All eight albums on 180-gram audiophile vinyl (five single LPs and three doubles)

• Twenty-five 7-inches featuring all of the band’s singles with “specially reproduced rarities”

• A 36-inch by 24-inch poster of all album and single cover artwork

• “The Complete Picture” DVD featuring all of the band’s music videos

• An eight-page, 12-inch booklet featuring “expanded liner notes”

• Eight-inch by 12-inch art prints of each album cover’s artwork

• Code to download band’s entire catalog as high-quality, 320kbps MP3 files
Marr’s remasterings of the four original studio albums were released on vinyl in 2009, and the Smiths’ 7-inch singles have been collected in a box set already, as well — both of which ex-frontman Morrissey has urged fans not to buy, claiming he wouldn’t see any money from them.
This new set, however, marks the first time the new remasterings are being released on CD, albeit without any bonus material appended. Previously, the work by Marr and Arkwright only was available on Rhino’s 2CD compilation The Sound of the Smiths, released in 2008.
Although the label isn’t yet taking orders, Rhino’s website also lists a limited-edition vinyl box set — just 1,000 copies worldwide — that features the eight albums on 180-gram vinyl, plus the liner-notes booklet and the poster featuring the cover artwork. Also listed: a CD box set featuring just the eight albums on CD in the mini-LP replica sleeves.

smithscomplete.jpg

from: http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2011/07/27/the-smiths-complete-box-set-rhino-records/

(also posted on the main page)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The set will include 25 x 7" singles...
I notice that the French There Is A Light 7" is included, I wonder what else?
Negative HIG?

Looking at the poster, the USA Headmaster's Ritual and German Some Girls are Bigger are there as well.
24563_large.jpg

I like the cover of the box - the shot from WWL of the boys in drag :)

Dave

Tags
complete boxset deluxe boxset
Back
Top Bottom