New to Morrissey

ShaunyV91

Hello all,

I discovered The Smiths a while ago because of a friend and ever since they have been one of my favourite bands, I haven't really delved into Morrissey's solo music and was wondering where would be the best place to start (I know the obvious ones like Suedehead, Everyday is like Sunday) but what are the starting points for someone new to Morrissey's solo work?

Thanks,
Shaun

Hello all,

I discovered The Smiths a while ago because of a friend and ever since they have been one of my favourite bands, I haven't really delved into Morrissey's solo music and was wondering where would be the best place to start (I know the obvious ones like Suedehead, Everyday is like Sunday) but what are the starting points for someone new to Morrissey's solo work?

Thanks,
Shaun

Hi,
It might be fun to work through his albums in chronological order, so starting with Viva Hate. Good luck and enjoy the journey :)

Ooops, someone was quicker.

Hi Shaun, I also advise you to start listening chronological order.

Viva Hate
Bona Drag
Kill Uncle
Your Arsenal
Beethoven Was Deaf
Vauxhall And I
Southpaw Grammar
Maladjusted
You Are The Quarry
Ringleader Of The Tormentors
Years Of Refusal

Hey Shaun, I think the best idea is to go in chronological order - that's the route I took. My favorite album of his is Vauxhall & I, so of course that's my top recommendation.

Thanks Guys :)

Managed to listen to Viva Hate this evening, I enjoyed it, stand out tracks for me were Suedehead, Everyday is like Sunday, Alsatian Cousin, Bengali in Platforms and Hairdresser on Fire.

It's not The Smiths, different band, same Mozza, however. If you're used to Strangeways then you'll appreciate the musical direction change from earlier work by The Smiths, it wasn't a shock to me.

Hello all,

Thanks,
Shaun

Start with Bona Drag, my friend....it has members of The Smiths playing the actual songs!
Welcome to the site! Beware! :)

That's how I started: I listened in 2009 a bootleg of the gig at BBC, "Seasick, yet still docked" got stuck in my head and then I searched for more, pretty randomly. Bootlegs, Youtube, anything works once you acquire the taste (ha!). Otherwise I guess I didn't have the patience to explore things systematically. Only afterwards I started with the albums. But Viva Hate is a good starting point, indeed.
Here's a link for you, as the links on this site for the BBC gig are dead.
http://www.mediafire.com/?azkttrw98u9lvzv

Last edited:
That's how I started: I listened in 2009 a bootleg of the gig at BBC, "Seasick, yet still docked" got stuck in my head and then I searched for more, pretty randomly. Bootlegs, Youtube, anything works once you acquire the taste (ha!). Otherwise I guess I didn't have the patience to explore things systematically. Only afterwards I started with the albums. But Viva Hate is a good starting point, indeed.
Here's a link for you, as the links on this site for the BBC gig are dead.
http://www.mediafire.com/?azkttrw98u9lvzv

wow! I love the 2009 live version of the song too! amazing! :p

Cheers, much appreciated!

Have been listening to the album and have listened to Viva Hate, Bona Drag and Kill Uncle so far. Kill Uncle took a bit of getting used to.

In love with Everyday is like Sunday and Hairdresser on Fire at the moment.

Cheers, much appreciated!

Have been listening to the album and have listened to Viva Hate, Bona Drag and Kill Uncle so far. Kill Uncle took a bit of getting used to.

In love with Everyday is like Sunday and Hairdresser on Fire at the moment.

Good! they are both classics! Kill Uncle is a nightmare to like....just listen to "I'm The End of The Family Line", it's the best song on there by far! :p

I think it depends on how old you are, for someone born in 91?
I'd say you should start with YATQ

ps: I am guessing at your age from the "91" at the end of your username
if I am mistaken, sorry

Hello all,

Thanks,
Shaun

Basically, where you wanna start is anything he's ever recorded. Go from there to anything else he's ever recorded.

You won't regret it.

Back
Top Bottom