Gaslight Anthem singer Brian Fallon's advice to Morrissey: "You need to get over it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Gaslight Anthem Singer Brian Fallon's Advice To Morrissey: "You Need To Get Over

The Gaslight Anthem is the greatest band in the world and Brian could write better lyrics in his sleep than anything Morrissey has offered us for the last 10 years.

:crazy:

When we were young
We were diamond Sinatras
Like something I saw in a dream
We kept our secrets in rooms
locked up tight like a tomb
Where the ballerinas lay

:sleeping:

In a recent interview to promote Handwritten, the upcoming 4th LP by his New Jersey rock band The Gaslight Anthem, frontman Brian Fallon is asked about his various influences and the subject of Morrissey comes up. Brian wastes no time admitting to a fondness for The Smiths but a disdain for what he perceives as some of the more theatrical traits of the band's former singer, quipping that the best advice he can hypothetically offer Morrissey is to "get over" the solo-era pretentiousness and reform his old band.

The Morrissey bit lasts from 20:12 - 21:44.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Gaslight Anthem Singer Brian Fallon's Advice To Morrissey: "You Need To Get Over

When we were young
We were diamond Sinatras
Where the ballerinas lay

tumblr_m1u2f1u8VP1qcu5eho6_250.gif

This asshole. I know a lot of people like this. The worst part about it is they like The Smith for the complete "wrong" reasons. Wanna know what I mean? Ask Morrissey. And Lorne Green.

Advice to Morrissey? Really? From some Brain Fallout?! That would be funny if it wasn't for just another dickhead trying to gain fame using Morrissey's name. Sad.:sick:

This asshole. I know a lot of people like this. The worst part about it is they like The Smith for the complete "wrong" reasons. Wanna know what I mean? Ask Morrissey. And Lorne Green.

The Smith?
I didn't know there was a 'right' reason for liking a band. Thank you for enlightening me.

f*** Lorne Greene. Pernell Roberts FTW.

Advice to Morrissey? Really? From some Brain Fallout?! That would be funny if it wasn't for just another dickhead trying to gain fame using Morrissey's name. Sad.:sick:

Yeah, because someone on an independent label whose last album, in the first week alone, shipped 1/3 of what Morrissey's last album (on a major record label) shipped in it's entire run REALLY needs to use his name to gain attention. Right.

When we were young
We were diamond Sinatras
Where the ballerinas lay

I was driving my car
I crashed and broke my spine
so yes there are things worse in life
than never being someone's sweetie

-

And when they can't find a table
for their fat Aunt Mable
they stamp their feet and cry

-

Politician, can you listen
to yourself for just once in your life?
because of something you said
teen soldiers are dead
:)lbf:)

Yeah, I'll take Brian. Morrissey's done.

Brian Fallout? Oh I get it, you're doing that thing Morrissey does where he makes someone's name into a silly word, to insult them.

How cute.

Hey, nice knuckle dusters. Ain't posing fun?

I think it's funny that you mooks get so rabid over someone saying anything less than complimentary about Morrissey, or daring to criticize him.

He also said, "I'd shake his hand." But you ignore that and get all butt-hurt.

He has great admiration for The Smiths; he's simply saying Morrissey should cut the bullshit and get back to what made him great.

I agree.

I was driving my car
I crashed and broke my spine
so yes there are things worse in life
than never being someone's sweetie

-

And when they can't find a table
for their fat Aunt Mable
they stamp their feet and cry

-

Politician, can you listen
to yourself for just once in your life?
because of something you said
teen soldiers are dead
:)lbf:)

Yeah, I'll take Brian. Morrissey's done.

"This might make you throw up in your bed
I'm OK by myself"

"There are explosive kegs between my legs
Dear God, please help me"

"Children in pieces in Irish industrial schools
Nuns called mothers & the Christian Brothers
Kick the shit out of very frightened children"

"I've had my faced dragged in 15 miles of shit
And I do not, and I do not, and I do not like it"

"And the smiling children tell you that you smell
Well, just look at me - a savage beast - I've got nothing to sell
And when I die I want to go to Hell
And that's when goodbye should be farewell"

"Stab me in your own time in Scandinavia"

"However do not call this number again
We're busy molding the face of the kid's replacement, yeah"

You guys are free to dislike them, whatever, I'm not 17 and I am not gonna lose sleep over it. It's your loss.

As far as I'm concerned they are the best thing out there, hands down.

There are a lot of great bands, but very very few of them happen at just the right time and do everything perfectly and capture the essence of their age.

The Beatles, The Clash, The Smiths, Nirvana, Suede...all of these bands were tuned into the spirit of their time and they knew exactly what to do. And yeah, I have to say, I'd put The Gaslight Anthem up there with any of those bands.

Truly, truly amazing music.

http://www.gaslightanthem.com/

Not only is this 'Brian' fellow as deep as a paper plate (his quip about pizza is just one bit of a Mt. Everest of evidence mounted against him), he's absolutely clueless in regards to Moz and the Smiths. I listened to 3 tracks from his band and I must say besides being laughable; they are awesomely bad. I must give him credit, though. Despite being staggeringly moronic and brain-dead, Brian has figured out the only way his shambolic band will garner any attention is by commenting on Giants. Indeed, he will succeed better in giving his opinion on matters that do not concern him than in mending his "music."

Fact: Johnny Marr disbanded the Smiths, not Morrissey.

Morrissey was forced to go solo since he was still signed to EMI. He succeeded through grit and determination, whereas Johnny was the capricious guitar-slinger of the 80's going from band to band, putting out material that failed to get any interest. Why on Earth should Moz put a hold on his career to revive an 80's band he never left in the first place? Who in their right mind would expect a man who was sued by his own bandmates to want to reform? Moz didn't need the rest of the Smiths when he began and he doesn't need them now.

While you're right that there are too many knee-jerk reactions to anti-Morrissey statements the issue here is that someone with .001% the stature of the person he's criticizing thinks what he says carries any weight. I'm surprised it's even a news item. This guy, like thousands of other bands, will be a footnote of a footnote within 5 years.

It's like Michael Buble criticizing Sinatra, but sillier...

I think it's funny that you mooks get so rabid over someone saying anything less than complimentary about Morrissey, or daring to criticize him.

He also said, "I'd shake his hand." But you ignore that and get all butt-hurt.

He has great admiration for The Smiths; he's simply saying Morrissey should cut the bullshit and get back to what made him great.

I agree.

Not only is this Brian fellow as deep as a paper plate (his quip about pizza is just a piece of a Mt. Everest of evidence mounted against him.) he is completely clueless about Morrissey and the Smiths. I listened to 3 tracks by his band and besides being laughable; they are awesomely bad. I must give him credit, though. Despite being staggeringly moronic and brain-dead, Brian has figured out that the only way his shambolic band will ever garner any interest is by commenting on and poking at Giants. Indeed, he will succeed better in giving his opinion on matters that do not concern him than in mending his own unoriginal 'music'.

Fact: Johnny Marr disbanded the Smiths not Morrissey.

Morrissey was forced to go solo and through grit and determination managed to put out music that rivals and in some instances, surpasses the music of the Smiths. Johnny Marr was the capricious guitar slinger of the 80's willing to lay down licks for just about anybody and took the occassional shot at Morrissey in interviews (calling him Dorrissey, etc.) I do not blame Morrissey for not wanting to reform. Why should he put his career on hold to revive an 80's band he never left? Why would anyone WANT to be in a band with two people who've sued you ? Morrissey didn't need the Smiths then and doesn't need them now

Last edited:

In a recent interview to promote Handwritten, the upcoming 4th LP by his New Jersey rock band The Gaslight Anthem, frontman Brian Fallon is asked about his various influences and the subject of Morrissey comes up. Brian wastes no time admitting to a fondness for The Smiths but a disdain for what he perceives as some of the more theatrical traits of the band's former singer, quipping that the best advice he can hypothetically offer Morrissey is to "get over" the solo-era pretentiousness and reform his old band.

I found his comments funny and agree 100 percent.

The Gaslight Anthem is the greatest band in the world and Brian could write better lyrics in his sleep than anything Morrissey has offered us for the last 10 years.

To my ears, Fallon sounds like some of my friends who claim to love The Smiths/Morrissey when, in truth, they're only posturing, and actually only know a few 'hits' like "How Soon is Now?", "Everyday is like Sunday", etc. And when such individuals talk about how the band should get back together, I tune out fairly quickly.

While you're right that there are too many knee-jerk reactions to anti-Morrissey statements the issue here is that someone with .001% the stature of the person he's criticizing thinks what he says carries any weight. I'm surprised it's even a news item. This guy, like thousands of other bands, will be a footnote of a footnote within 5 years.

It's like Michael Buble criticizing Sinatra, but sillier...

Better to be an unknown footnote of a footnote than a pompous fruity washed-up laughingstock who doesn't see what a botched abortion his career has become.

Not only is this Brian fellow as deep as a paper plate (his quip about pizza is just a piece of a Mt. Everest of evidence mounted against him.) he is completely clueless about Morrissey and the Smiths. I listened to 3 tracks by his band and besides being laughable; they are awesomely bad. I must give him credit, though. Despite being staggeringly moronic and brain-dead, Brian has figured out that the only way his shambolic band will ever garner any interest is by commenting on and poking at Giants. Indeed, he will succeed better in giving his opinion on matters that do not concern him than in mending his own unoriginal 'music'.

Fact: Johnny Marr disbanded the Smiths not Morrissey.

Morrissey was forced to go solo and through grit and determination managed to put out music that rivals and in some instances, surpasses the music of the Smiths. Johnny Marr was the capricious guitar slinger of the 80's willing to lay down licks for just about anybody and took the occassional shot at Morrissey in interviews (calling him Dorrissey, etc.) I do not blame Morrissey for not wanting to reform. Why should he put his career on hold to revive an 80's band he never left? Why would anyone WANT to be in a band with two people who've sued you ? Morrissey didn't need the Smiths then and doesn't need them now

Fact: I don't really care who broke up The Smiths. I'm a huge fan of both The Smiths and Morrissey's solo records up until the last few years.

The interviewer brought up Morrissey. Not the other way around. Ol' braindead Brian was asked a question. He didn't bring up the "Giant":)lbf:) to make healdines for his own commercial ends. He simply fielded a question by responding honestly.

Brian wasn't talking shit about Morrissey; he said plainly and bluntly that the gayness and the pretentiousness was not his thing, but that The Smiths, as a cohesive unit, had been a great band.

And coming from someone who has a freakin' picture of Morrisey as their avatar, I'm not gonna take your criticisms too seriously beyond the response I've already wasted on you.

To my ears, Fallon sounds like some of my friends who claim to love The Smiths/Morrissey when, in truth, they're only posturing, and actually only know a few 'hits' like "How Soon is Now?", "Everyday is like Sunday", etc. And when such individuals talk about how the band should get back together, I tune out fairly quickly.

Oh, so he's one of those awful horrible cretins who neither hates nor loves Morrissey, just merely admits to liking a few songs, but is not obsessively devoted?

Wow, what a loser.

Better to be an unknown footnote of a footnote than a pompous fruity washed-up laughingstock who doesn't see what a botched abortion his career has become.
:eek:
I agree that Morrissey has made some disastrous career moves of late, but I think "botched abortion" is a little harsh.

Last edited:

:eek:
I agree that Morrissey has made some terrible career moves of late, but I think "botched abortion" is a little harsh.

What better term can you use for a performer who keeps an inferior guitarist and writer around in place of the man who single-handedly revived his career by writing four Top 10 singles when he needed them the most? He is selling less and less and instead of fixing the problem, he keeps making it worse. Someone should remind Morrissey that doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is Einstein's definition of insanity. But he'd probably call him a 'Jew Boy' just like he did Spencer Corbin.

The funny f***ing thing about all this is that all I did was post a link to a 60 second clip about some guy talking about how Morrissey should stop taking his clothes off and just reform The Smiths.

The collective panties in a bunch from these people is astonishing. You'd swear Brian issued a death threat.

The funny f***ing thing about all this is that all I did was post a link to a 60 second clip about some guy talking about how Morrissey should stop taking his clothes off and just reform The Smiths.

The collective panties in a bunch from these people is astonishing. You'd swear Brian issued a death threat.

Morrissey can attack with cheers from the masses but is never allowed to be attacked. I think that is the gist of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom