Johnny Marr, Alison Moyet, Nile Rodgers play The Smiths "Stop Me" at Montreux Jazz

Triple wow:
1 - Moyet has slimmed down beyond recognition
2 - Marr agreed to play along to Mark Ronson's arrangement of Stop Me
3 - Marr agreed to play it with Mark Ronson!

Another thought occurs - could Moyet be the new Adele Atkins?

Triple retch:

1. The words "The Smiths" and "Montreux Jazz Festival" should never be found in the same sentence together (although I've just broken my own rule so...)
2. How can someone who lauded his partner's unique vocal phrasing (prior to the split at least) be a party to this turgid MOR jazzy pap rendition (that's rendition in the Rumsfeld sense of the word)? I have liked Alison Moyet's voice, but not on these words. Please.
3. Ronson's schmutter matters more than his platters.

I'd rather see Johnny do it in fishnets at Lammars than this.

Triple retch:

1. The words "The Smiths" and "Montreux Jazz Festival" should never be found in the same sentence together (although I've just broken my own rule so...)
2. How can someone who lauded his partner's unique vocal phrasing (prior to the split at least) be a party to this turgid MOR jazzy pap rendition (that's rendition in the Rumsfeld sense of the word)? I have liked Alison Moyet's voice, but not on these words. Please.

You've managed to read my mind, formulate my thoughts into concise points and do it all at 4.44am. Spectacular.

Triple retch:

My thoughts exactly. It's not really fair to stack different singers up against Moz when it comes to performing his own songs, but no-one can put across that mixture of bleak humour and cynicism in "Stop Me.." quite like he can. Moyet sounds like she is singing without really understanding the lyrics - as did the singer in Ronson's released version - the song could have been "Drive My Car" for all the vocal conviction she puts into it. "MOR jazzy pap" sums it up completely....and although Johnny should know better, it can't be any worse than the Cribs' dire attempt at "Panic", Neil Finn's half-asleep "There Is A Light" or, dare I even mention...Pete Doherty's "Jeane". :sick:

My thoughts exactly. It's not really fair to stack different singers up against Moz when it comes to performing his own songs, but no-one can put across that mixture of bleak humour and cynicism in "Stop Me.." quite like he can. Moyet sounds like she is singing without really understanding the lyrics - as did the singer in Ronson's released version - the song could have been "Drive My Car" for all the vocal conviction she puts into it. "MOR jazzy pap" sums it up completely....and although Johnny should know better, it can't be any worse than the Cribs' dire attempt at "Panic", Neil Finn's half-asleep "There Is A Light" or, dare I even mention...Pete Doherty's "Jeane". :sick:

I was listening to the Finn/Marr version not so long ago - what didn't you like about it ? I really thought it was fine ...

At least those aren't as bad of a vocal performance as these...

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Neil Finn's voice, I like Alf's voice, just not on those songs. Finn's version was "fine"; but 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out' should never be "fine" ~ it should be gut-rippingly sublime, or just don't bother.

I always feel like these Johnny duets are ever-so-soft slaps in the face to Morrissey; but then perhaps Johnny feels the same way re:Boz/Alain/Jesse. Tit-for-tat and all that.

I like Neil Finn's voice, I like Alf's voice, just not on those songs. Finn's version was "fine"; but 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out' should never be "fine" ~ it should be gut-rippingly sublime, or just don't bother.

I always feel like these Johnny duets are ever-so-soft slaps in the face to Morrissey; but then perhaps Johnny feels the same way re:Boz/Alain/Jesse. Tit-for-tat and all that.

Good call, Joe Frady. Finn's version was fine , Marr solo was ugly ( in my opinion) and most of the Moz solo live efforts weren't necessarily any better than fine. I guess to hear this song in its full splendour may involve a return of the dynamic duo ...

At least those aren't as bad of a vocal performance as these...

Aw come on, cut Johnny a bit of slack... it was his first time on lead vocals in nearly 10 years, and at least he was wise enough not to sing loud. I think his voice has improved a heck of a lot since the first Healers' incarnation in '02, when it was just a monotonous drone indistinguishable from the surrounding guitars. Shakespeare's Sister was shaky, but I thought Johnny's performance of "There Is a Light" was perfectly alright....and frankly even if it were dire, I wouldn't care a jot because it's Johnny Marr and he is singing There Is a Light That Never Goes Out :guitar:

I was listening to the Finn/Marr version not so long ago - what didn't you like about it ? I really thought it was fine ...

Your comment made me seek it out and give the Finn cover another listen - it's "There Is a Light" wearing slippers and smoking a pipe (the chorus is so underwhelming), but it's not bad at all. I may have to retract my earlier statement!

Your comment made me seek it out and give the Finn cover another listen - it's "There Is a Light" wearing slippers and smoking a pipe (the chorus is so underwhelming), but it's not bad at all. I may have to retract my earlier statement!

Pipe and slippers ! I'm not the world's biggest fan of Marr , but I think the Finn version illustrates what both Moz and Marr have been missing ( but moreso Marr than Moz)...

Last edited:
Aw come on, cut Johnny a bit of slack... it was his first time on lead vocals in nearly 10 years, and at least he was wise enough not to sing loud. I think his voice has improved a heck of a lot since the first Healers' incarnation in '02, when it was just a monotonous drone indistinguishable from the surrounding guitars. Shakespeare's Sister was shaky, but I thought Johnny's performance of "There Is a Light" was perfectly alright....and frankly even if it were dire, I wouldn't care a jot because it's Johnny Marr and he is singing There Is a Light That Never Goes Out :guitar:

I'm sure most people around here would agree, but covers of Morrissey or Smiths songs just don't ever work and shouldn't be attempted...it's impossible to believe the lyrics coming from anyone other than Morrissey and you just can't improve the vocals or even come close to matching them.

You're definitely right about his vocal improvement since 'Boomslang'...that album could almost be considered spoken-word, really, as he puts little effort into the vocals out of necessity. He fares much better with his own material these days and I wish he would just stick to that...and IF he does play Smiths songs, then just make them instrumental. Also, I admire what he's trying to do with his career, but I feel pieces of music like 'European Me' are completely wasted on his solo career. If that had been sent to Morrissey and he put good lyrics and vocals to it, he would probably have finally had his coveted #1 single and it would be the shot in his arm he so desperately needs for his career.

Video: Johnny Marr, Alison Moyet, Nile Rodgers play The Smiths at Montreux Jazz - SlicingUpEyeballs

Last night at the famed Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland, producer/musicians Nile Rodgers and Mark Ronson teamed up to present Freak Out Montreux, an “all-night dance party” featuring a bevy of special guests, including Johnny Marr and Alison Moyet, who joined the Rodgers-led Chic on stage to perform Ronson’s arrangement of The Smiths’ “Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before,” which the producer rechristened “Stop Me” for his hit 2007 single. Check out video of that performance below, as well as a clip of Marr sitting in on Chic’s classic “Le Freak,” both courtesy YouTube uploader gfainky.

[SUP][/SUP]

What are the odds that this arrangement would get a free pass if it were sung by, say, Nancy Sinatra or Marianne Faithful? Not my cup of tea, but there have been far, far poorer Smiths covers.

Deadful, totally awful cover. Stop me if don't want your ears to hurt is what this version should've been called.

With all due respect given to these talented artists, no one can sing this song like Moz.

Marr's guitar playing shows how weak his current lineup (save Boz) is.

I'm sure most people around here would agree, but covers of Morrissey or Smiths songs just don't ever work and shouldn't be attempted...it's impossible to believe the lyrics coming from anyone other than Morrissey and you just can't improve the vocals or even come close to matching them.

When you say they don't ever work, do you just mean that you don't like them?
The Mark Ronson cover of Stop Me is arguably the greatest success a Morrissey/Marr song's had to date. It sold in vast quantities and attained blanked airplay so everyone knows it - taxi drivers, school kids, mums, shop workers, i.e. the millions of people who couldn't care less about the Smiths or Morrissey.
Similarly, the cover of 'Please...' for the John Lewis Christmas ad was the key element in one of the most successful advertising campaigns ever.
I don't like either of these covers and you clearly don't either, but to say the covers never work is nonsense.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom