Who could Morrissey collaborate with?

Velvis

Not a beginner
Anyone have any ideas for interesting Morrissey collaborations?

I'm sure this has been discussed here before so apologies in advance. :o

I've just discovered 'The xx' and it occurred to me that their simple introspective style would make for an interesting collaboration with Morrissey. It would be a change from the current guitar heavy style and possibly move him into the Seasick/Sweetie Pie area.

Possibly a bit too electronic for him but I'd love to hear what they came up with together.

Anyone have any ideas for interesting Morrissey collaborations?

I'm sure this has been discussed here before so apologies in advance. :o

I've just discovered 'The xx' and it occurred to me that their simple introspective style would make for an interesting collaboration with Morrissey. It would be a change from the current guitar heavy style and possibly move him into the Seasick/Sweetie Pie area.

Possibly a bit too electronic for him but I'd love to hear what they came up with together.

I like The XX, but haven't seen their live yet.
Not sure if their live is as good as their recorded materials.

Your idea is interesting. However, if my memory is correct, Morrissey turned down The Sparks who wanted to work with him.

This guy...

2rw137p.jpg

P.

Why? Johnny hasn't written a decent song in 2 decades. Nostalgia sure is powerful.

Now, now...don't be silly, Amy. You know 'European Me' is at least decent or better.

And really, his worst songs are still better than Jesse Tobias' best...or, if you don't think so, at least he can play the Smiths songs properly. ;)

Anyway...

Bernard Butler.
tumblr_lv33ohVNuO1r2gcjfo1_1280.jpg

Now, now...don't be silly, Amy. You know 'European Me' is at least decent or better.

And really, his worst songs are still better than Jesse Tobias' best...or, if you don't think so, at least he can play the Smiths songs properly. ;)

Anyway...

Bernard Butler.

I don't know - the Tears were pretty dreadful (and this coming from someone who has every track Suede shat out). Tobias' best (perhaps oxymoronic, that phrase) at least has Morrissey's latter day golden pipes at the helm to paper over the cracks. So to say. I don't see much evidence in the past decade that BB could deliver the goods.

At this phase, I'm afraid sturdier material would have to come via reconciliation with Alain or by pure dumb luck with an unknown.

"I don't get along with myself / And I'm not too keen on anyone else"

Why? Johnny hasn't written a decent song in 2 decades. Nostalgia sure is powerful.

Amy has a good point though, he really hasn't, and I've thought about this too.

If he got back with Morrissey, would the old magic be there...I doubt it somehow, sorry Johnny :()

Nearly happened, didn't it? McAlmont & Butler's "Yes" was offered to Morrissey first but he turned it down. I think.

P.

Butler said that Morrissey really liked it, but felt it was out of his vocal range or didn't suit his voice. I think he offered it to Kirsty MacColl too who also declined.

Nearly happened, didn't it? McAlmont & Butler's "Yes" was offered to Morrissey first but he turned it down. I think.

P.

I can see where that song in particular wouldn't really have worked out if Moz had tried. But I personally really enjoyed The Tears, and I think that kind of style that Butler was working with for later McAlmont & Butler and The Tears would've been fantastic for Morrissey. At the very least, Butler is a phenomenal producer, and Moz could only benefit from employing him in that regards in the future.

Silly tart... Dashboard and Cheat on Me are musically, at least, a country mile from what Tobias churns out.

Anyway...

Bernard Butler.

Ok, that's one good song in... 20 years. It's pretty poor any way you look at it.

And yes, his worst is better than Tobias' best, but...I'm used to Tobias being hopeless, I have no expectations for his music at all. I don't want to see Johnny Marr giving Morrissey limp, meandering "will this do?" rubbish. I want it to be every bit as brilliant as the Smiths, or for him to not bother at all.

And yes - Bernard Butler.

Start and complete the album he should have done with this guy...

IMG_1890_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom